Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 30th November 2006

Soldato
OP
Joe42 said:
Didn't you get an x1950 pro? How does it fold, is it almost as fast as the xts and xtxs?
no not yet - if I do it would have to be an AGP version and they are still on pre-order, plus the price is a bit silly at the moment but I'm sure that will come down once the initial rush is over

Since GPU folding performance is mainly down to how many pixel shaders the card has the 1950 Pro with 36 shaders shouldn't be too far behind the XT/XTX's with their 48 shaders. Of course GPU clock speed also has quite an effect so they may lose a bit there too - hopefully there'll be enough power left to make it pretty good crunchy value for money :)

Soldato
I reckon any X19xx card would be worth the money spent on it. Aside from from excellent games performance you would be getting a lean folding machine. Granted it is not as good as an XTX, but even if it only managed 1 GPU WU per day, 3st30 PPD increase is not to be sneezed at,.

*Any spelling mistakes or randomness is due to my extreme inhebriation as I type this. Don;t ask how I can spell "inhebriation" while I am drunk. It is a very rare gift :p

SiriuwsB

Soldato
OP
BillytheImpaler said:
Overclock! Overclock for medical science! :D

I too reckon that the 36-pipe model should do fairly well especially considering its reduced price when compared to its 48-shader big brothers.
Well I have heard results for the AGP X1650 Pro which has only 12 pixel shaders and takes about 36 hours per WU - that's not bad seeing as the X1900XT has 4 times as many shaders and is only 3 times as fast.

KE1HA's got his hands on a new card too ;) :D

Soldato
SiriusB said:
*Any spelling mistakes or randomness is due to my extreme inhebriation as I type this. Don;t ask how I can spell "inhebriation" while I am drunk. It is a very rare gift :p
Dude it's "inebriation", no h.

And Sirius isn't spelt with a w :D

Associate
Well I'm back from my trip and see that outputs down by a 1000 ppd but that was to be expected, turned on a couple of machines that have been dormant, another machine with an old beta client that had stopped working and I see my output hit hearly 3000 for once :eek:

Anyways for your viewing pleasure...

cert.php

Soldato
Im offically stupid.... finished my first SMP wu on my new iMac, 587pointer it was too, unfortunately I didnt check my username when I installed the client and have therefore created a new user called DreederUK... Luckily I signed him up to team 10 so its all good. Is there any way to merge users like you used to be able to do under S@H?

Soldato
Hi, ill be moving over to F@home when the current s5 run at e@home finishes. What does an RAC of 1500 on einstein translate to on folding?

Thx

Soldato
ghost101 said:
Hi, ill be moving over to F@home when the current s5 run at e@home finishes. What does an RAC of 1500 on einstein translate to on folding?

Thx

Welcome :cool:

I would guestimate about 500ish ppd.

I have one rig crunching Einstein at about 220 RAC. It has been a long time since it folded and I think it was getting about 80 - 100 ppd.

Only one way to find out..... ;)

Dunc

Back
Top Bottom