Ford Capri is back...

Soldato
I saw an ex Ford engineer from the early EV development programme explain that they were going to release two vehicle platforms. Mustang as the sporty one and the Explorer as the SUV. However they couldn't secure enough battery supply so they ended up releasing the "Mustang" on the SUV platform as they didn't expect to sell that many. Would explain a lot if verified to be true.

Associate
My very first car was a Ford Capri XL 1600.Silver with a black vinyl roof.Remember putting a set of Alleycat wheels on it ,looked glorious.Later on I had a V6 Cougar which is probably the true successor to the Capri.This Polestar lookalike ain't it.

Soldato
Nice straw man there. So a car with safe handling can’t be fun? I love the mental gymnastics that safe, good handling cars cannot be fun because they aren’t a death trap.
Depends on how you define "fun". Fun in 2024 seems to be whittled down to neck snapping 0-60 times and endless mechanical grip.

If however your idea of "fun" is to have a car where you can explore the boundaries of it's mechanical grip and handling where you can get the back end loose enough to effect it's cornering through use of the throttle then inherently that has to be at the expense of "safety". Or at the very least with an electronic overlord watching over you ready to step in if you push things too far.

Soldato
Depends on how you define "fun". Fun in 2024 seems to be whittled down to neck snapping 0-60 times and endless mechanical grip.

If however your idea of "fun" is to have a car where you can explore the boundaries of it's mechanical grip and handling where you can get the back end loose enough to effect it's cornering through use of the throttle then inherently that has to be at the expense of "safety". Or at the very least with an electronic overlord watching over you ready to step in if you push things too far.

If you are exclusively using such a car on a track day then I have no issues. If you are doing it on public roads then nope.

Soldato
If you are exclusively using such a car on a track day then I have no issues. If you are doing it on public roads then nope.

If no one around to see it, did it really happen :D

TBH most of these EVs aren't really quick. Some can get to 30 quick then meh. They can't corner quick due to their weight and mostly skinny tyres to increase the range. If you try to properly chuck them around a corner you just get traction control kicking in to stop them flying in to a hedge.

So I suppose you can have the Capri experience in an EV. Just turn off the nannies and see what happens you gun it :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I saw an ex Ford engineer from the early EV development programme explain that they were going to release two vehicle platforms. Mustang as the sporty one and the Explorer as the SUV. However they couldn't secure enough battery supply so they ended up releasing the "Mustang" on the SUV platform as they didn't expect to sell that many. Would explain a lot if verified to be true.

I’m not sure that makes sense, the Mach-e and the explorer are on completely different platforms. The SUV platform is the big seller these days. The Mach-e had a slow start but it’s the 4th best selling EV in America now.

They don’t even sell that many real Mustangs anymore. It’s down to ~50k from something like 600k back in the 60s. The Mustang is the only ‘car’ they make in the USA now and a big bonnet muscle car doesn’t really make any sense from a packaging point of view for a BEV.

As far as I’m aware, the MEB stuff is not going to America. The Mach-e was primarily developed for the US market and they’ll not be getting anything smaller over there.

The MEB stuff is for Europe and other markets where we will be getting smaller cars like the Puma EV.

Edit: corrections.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Puma is an inferior car to the Fiesta though. Especially the ST. Quite a bit slower without the sharp handling.

Hopefully this trend of making electric SUV brick mobiles will end soon and we'll start to get interesting things for sensible prices. A lot of dealers are again refusing to buy EVs as depreciation has hit them like a nuke and they can't sell them, hopefully that will start to influence things eventually.
But better in other ways, swings and roundabouts. But it isn't about the fiesta versus the Puma is it. The new Puma has at least been a success because, currently, it isn't an ev.

Totally agree with your second point in that car designers have lost their way and it is same old, same old. However I'm not holding out much hope..

Last edited:
Soldato
My very first car was a Ford Capri XL 1600.Silver with a black vinyl roof.Remember putting a set of Alleycat wheels on it ,looked glorious.Later on I had a V6 Cougar which is probably the true successor to the Capri.This Polestar lookalike ain't it.
I've got to wonder which ev's GenZ aspire to own in comparison to these classics, perhaps the market is still too much in it's infancy to address that demographic,
but with people having children later, the period of non-sensible car and it's market segment should be expanding;
the tesla 'back to the future' position it had held seems to be over with its ubiquity on the UK road, mach-e, these still seem exclusive and design has character/heritage.

Perhaps UK having bigger people/obesity means a capri wouldn't work any more, but tesla have managed a saloon shaped chassis,
they should offer this to third parties, for some different body options (like an estate) -

Associate
0 in common with the original classic. What's the point of even keeping the name?
Same as the Mustang, when they are still producing Mustang's in the original guise !

Soldato
Ford really don't have any morals or true appreciation of historical significance, it's all about the money.

A prime example is when they bought Aston Martin and then copy-pasted the Aston Martin signature grill to all their cars. It was a sad day when people confused the AM DBX for a new Ford Kuga.

At least nobody is going to confuse this EV Capri with it's namesake.

Soldato
Less so than in the states, but speaking for yourself? ;)
just 11st 5'6 weakling I could have got out of the Chilean mine -
American bosses boss had a corvette 90s c4 that I remember being quite tight, - seems they have put wider seats in new cars

e: dodge kept their **** together

Dodge doing their genuine ev charger muscle car ... so ford will see if there is a market segment, it's front looked like the bmw neue-klasse.
ie https://youtu.be/RyWWPEbHT-I?t=524

Last edited:
Man of Honour
My dad had 3 Capri's from the late 70's into early 80's, ending with a 2.8i, which means that together with following Gord Spice Racing with his Capri's the Capri was a significant part in my upbringing. This new thing does not represent what a Capri should be and is a missed opportunity by Ford in my eyes.

Last edited:
Soldato
We sold both a few years ago, but my 4X4 and my brothers 2.8 special..

uLSrgMR.jpg

Capri bought on ebay when we were very very drunk, and sold for rather a large profit.

Back
Top Bottom