Ford Capri is back...

Soldato
It'll probably sell bucket loads, like the 'Mustang'.

Personally I think in a post-ICE world we should be taxing based on frontal area, or at least drag co-efficient :p Might actually get some nice looking cars again.

Soldato
Maybe I’m just getting old but this electric revolution is doing everything it can to be distinct, ‘futuristic’ and ultimately fugly.

It’s like the moodboards were screenshots of 80’s sci-fi flicks.

It’ll probably sell well because everyone wants to stand out in their bulbous SUV’s.

Soldato
lol, the Capri was totally overrated. The main UK versions could get to 60 in about 15 seconds and topped out at 93.

Oh yeah you could get faster ones The 2.8i was about 8 seconds 0-60 if I recall, not great by todays standards for even middling SUVs, but they were rare and not what most of the nostalgia revolves around on here (or other forums frothing about the new Capri).

I remember a few people had Capris and thought they were cool. All I remember is a slow cheaply made pile of crap with poor handling.

A true car of their time, and I don’t mean that as a compliment.

Edit: The 2024 version looks like a Polestar 2 (no bad thing). To all those complaining about it being an EV. Get used to it, it’s thankfully going to be the new norm as we approach net zero.
Not great by today's standards. No ****. A Golf GTI MK1 isn't fast by today's standards. You can't compare to today's standards. There was also a limited run turbo model as well. Mate if mine had a Brooklands Capri.

Soldato
Not great by today's standards. No ****. A Golf GTI MK1 isn't fast by today's standards. You can't compare to today's standards. There was also a limited run turbo model as well. Mate if mine had a Brooklands Capri.

I’m trying to point out how “nostalgia” can be misleading. The mainstream Capri types you saw driving about in the UK were slow, uncomfortable, handled poorly and were cheaply built. Even by 1970s standards they were not great cars.

This thread is simply full of nostalgic old men who remember the Capri from their childhood and having a moan. I actually like the look of the new Capri and love that it’s an EV and a crossover.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Sorry, but Capris have a 3 litre V6 and several hundredweight of sand bags in the boot to keep the rear end in line.

I don't want one if there isn't a risk of dying.

My dad has a few, my mum put one through a field taking us to the grandparents.

It also ended up on bricks when the alloys got kicked, which were probably nicked from somewhere else.

Soldato
Sorry, but Capris have a 3 litre V6 and several hundredweight of sand bags in the boot to keep the rear end in line.

lol, so true… or at least that’s how most “think” they remember them. One of my earliest Capri memories, is my sister’s boyfriend taking us on a drive in his 1.3 Capri and it barely making it up a steep hill with four of us in it. Me and my mother were crammed in the very uncomfortable back. I was only 14 and it was 1982.

Last edited:
Soldato
No thanks, it's just a re-skinned ID5 isn't it?

Weird how Ford haven't didn't just electrify the Fiesta, Puma, Kuga, Focus and Mondeo. A Mondeo estate would have been awesome.
Most cars sold these days are just different bodies on modular chassis, take Skoda, Audi's and Volkswagens meb chassis, mini's, bmw series 1 & 2's also share platforms, Volvo's share their Compact Modular Architecture (CMA) platform with the Polestar 2 and it still has a central tunnel running through the inside that's not even needed.

Some are correct though about the original Capri, the 3.0l was a bit of a beast with rear wheel spin and axle tramp. It was quite fast though for those days at a 0-60 in7.5 secs, although in a straight line. I always remember rebuilding the v6 engine and tuning it to improve it. Those were the days when you actually listened to the carburettor's to tune them.
One thing could be said about the old Capri was it different to the common three box cars around at that time and the faster versions were accessible.

The problem though isn't the perception of the past it is in the marketing by Ford of what is yet another brick suv pretending to be something it isn't, expensive as well, then associating the name with this 'perceived' nostalgia.
Take the name away and you are still left with the same common marketing design that is available today across the board.

Whilst the new Puma is an success that isn't because of it's name it is because it is actually quite good and based on the fiesta, also a ice and it is accessible as far as the price is concerned, not a sanitised ev. So if the new Capri is going to succeed then it needs to follow up on the Puma but being a over 2 ton ev that is priced beyond the reach of most people I very much doubt if the name will rescue it.
Unfortunately Ford's ploy is quite transparent.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don’t see it being a success because it is stupid priced. A lot of these new EVs are going to need to be realistically priced.

Soldato
Most cars sold these days are just different bodies on modular chassis, take Skoda, Audi's and Volkswagens meb chassis, mini's, bmw series 1 & 2's also share platforms, Volvo's share their Compact Modular Architecture (CMA) platform with the Polestar 2 and it still has a central tunnel running through the inside that's not even needed.

Some are correct though about the original Capri, the 3.0l was a bit of a beast with rear wheel spin and axle tramp. It was quite fast though for those days at a 0-60 in7.5 secs, although in a straight line. I always remember rebuilding the v6 engine and tuning it to improve it. Those were the days when you actually listened to the carburettor's to tune them.
One thing could be said about the old Capri was it different to the common three box cars around at that time and the faster versions were accessible.

The problem though isn't the perception of the past it is in the marketing by Ford of what is yet another brick suv pretending to be something it isn't, expensive as well, then associating the name with this 'perceived' nostalgia.
Take the name away and you are still left with the same common marketing design that is available today across the board.

Whilst the new Puma is an success that isn't because of it's name it is because it is actually quite good and based on the fiesta, also a ice and it is accessible as far as the price is concerned, not a sanitised ev. So if the new Capri is going to succeed then it needs to follow up on the Puma but being a over 2 ton ev that is priced beyond the reach of most people I very much doubt if the name will rescue it.
Unfortunately Ford's ploy is quite transparent.

The Puma is an inferior car to the Fiesta though. Especially the ST. Quite a bit slower without the sharp handling.

Hopefully this trend of making electric SUV brick mobiles will end soon and we'll start to get interesting things for sensible prices. A lot of dealers are again refusing to buy EVs as depreciation has hit them like a nuke and they can't sell them, hopefully that will start to influence things eventually.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Puma is an inferior car to the Fiesta though. Especially the ST. Quite a bit slower without the sharp handling.

Hopefully this trend of making electric SUV brick mobiles will end soon and we'll start to get interesting things for sensible prices. They are hard to shift on the used market so maybe that will influence it eventually. Especially once they start having to be sent to auction by dealers just to get them off the forecourt.

New cars in general are hard to shift as are used (compared to last year) but not because of a styling or EV thing. SUVs and Crossovers are more common at the moment and it’s a trend that doesn’t seem to be waning.

EV demand is still rising, just not as much as it was a few years ago. The EV market crash is a myth, it’s just slowed along with the rest of the car market.

So the trend for SUVs is not an EV driven thing. It’s simply what most consumers want in ICE or EV guise.

Last edited:
Soldato
In the snow maybe for traction but any other time that would just make it worse.

Lose backend was a lot of fun and taught respect for the road and conditions.

Soldato
In the snow maybe for traction but any other time that would just make it worse.

Lose backend was a lot of fun and taught respect for the road and conditions.

They didn't have stupid wide tyres either even my three litre only had 185/70 on rostyle wheels all round. Exciting in slippery conditions but comparable with BMW of the era too.

Soldato
Terrible by Ford, they've done the Puma, Mustang and Kuga (although spelt differently) and turned sporty(ish) cars to SUV monstrosities, now they're destroying the Capri legacy as well

Back
Top Bottom