Forgot how bad job searching was :(

Man of Honour
Well, up to my seventy-fifth application in three and half months. Had the interview I mentioned a little while ago in Skipton on Tuesday, and now have another more locally on Monday. That makes a grand total of six which have got to interview, plus about fifteen which might conceivably be still be being dealt with. Won't find out about the Skipton job until late next week.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Just keep at it, I must have applied for over 100 jobs when I was looking and only heard back and had interviews from a handful of them :(

Soldato
Well, up to my seventy-fifth application in three and half months. Had the interview I mentioned a little while ago in Skipton on Tuesday, and now have another more locally on Monday. That makes a grand total of six which have got to interview, plus about fifteen which might conceivably be still be being dealt with. Won't find out about the Skipton job until late next week.

361 Applications. And only a couple of callbacks. I've done 200 since April. I've had my CV checked and everyone who has checked it said it's fine. :/

EDIT: Seems like I can't even get a job at the purple shirt place. And that was a part time role too. :/ Is there any hope for us graduates? :(

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
In general would you say you're better off sending a letter by post or applying via a website or an email or a bloody recruitment consultant....?

I'd like to avoid recruitment consultants :p Nothing has ever come from them for me personally.

All of my jobs have either been because someone knows someone in the company and they knew of a job offer going, or someone has told me about a job they've seen I might like.

Associate
I started the gruelling process of job-hunting a couple of weeks ago having graduated from a Computing HND last month. I've mainly been using reed.co.uk and have probably applied to about ~8 jobs so far. I've also received calls from three of the recruitment companies I applied through, though unfortunately I never actually spoke to the first because I was inconveniently in the bathroom at the time and it was a withheld number so couldn't call back. The second person to call me actually fills me with some hope, as she said she would pass my CV on to the company and get back to me soon in regards to an interview with her and then the job afterwards. The third caller was today and, although it seemed promising at first, it turned out the position wasn't as it sounded in the advert (I didn't feel I'd be able to satisfy the position, basically), so I politely declined.

Going to search around some more over the weekend.

On another note: I'm absolutely skint and don't want to leech off of my parents and so considered applying for JSA to give me a bit of pocket money for certain things (travel costs, work clothes, etc). I've heard some right horror stories about job centres, so would people actually recommend it if I have absolutely no money?

Soldato
Hmm 'Engineer' job whose role it is to sell stuff :p

I see they used to be Codework, I remember using them for something in a previous job but can't for the life of me remember what!

Sounds like a pre-sales type role to me. Are you in sales now?

It is pre-sales, to be honest, it was something that I was not massively interested in and was very nervous about.

The agency rang me up, and the guy put it across as an IT job, I only found out about the sales side after I'd agreed to go and the interview was set up.

I'm glad in that respect that I did not get the job, because I've never done sales and not keen on sales, but apparently the interview went very well, the only thing that stopped me getting to the next stage was the aptitude test.

My own fault, I never revised on aptitude tests and even never expected one.

Two of the questions that threw me was complete the number sequence & place the missing shapes onto the puzzle

GAC

GAC

Soldato
seeing this a lot around here of late. sales jobs with titles like tech jobs or engineering jobs when in fact its just cold calling and such.

really wish the gov would actually get a handle on agencies with the crap they pull.

Soldato
seeing this a lot around here of late. sales jobs with titles like tech jobs or engineering jobs when in fact its just cold calling and such.

really wish the gov would actually get a handle on agencies with the crap they pull.

It was not cold calling, I would have being dealing with already prospective buyers, I would then be traveling Europe and the UK making PPPs to sell these value-added products. Certainly not the sort of thing I'd thing merited the title of "Engineer".

I don't think I know enough to be called an "engineer" anyway.

Associate
I started the gruelling process of job-hunting a couple of weeks ago having graduated from a Computing HND last month. I've mainly been using reed.co.uk and have probably applied to about ~8 jobs so far. I've also received calls from three of the recruitment companies I applied through, though unfortunately I never actually spoke to the first because I was inconveniently in the bathroom at the time and it was a withheld number so couldn't call back. The second person to call me actually fills me with some hope, as she said she would pass my CV on to the company and get back to me soon in regards to an interview with her and then the job afterwards. The third caller was today and, although it seemed promising at first, it turned out the position wasn't as it sounded in the advert (I didn't feel I'd be able to satisfy the position, basically), so I politely declined.

Going to search around some more over the weekend.

On another note: I'm absolutely skint and don't want to leech off of my parents and so considered applying for JSA to give me a bit of pocket money for certain things (travel costs, work clothes, etc). I've heard some right horror stories about job centres, so would people actually recommend it if I have absolutely no money?

Yes, it isn't that bad. Just go in once every two weeks for ten minutes. The work program though is awful.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
didnt mean the one you posted specifically, just been a few around here of late tarting sales jobs up as anything but a sales jobs so they can get more applicants interested.

Soldato
Have been looking for months now with no luck. Started applying for things i am over qualified for and taking a pay cut, and got an interview straight away. I really don't know what to do. For example this job is 5k less than my current job, and I struggle as it is now. But if i have no job at all I will have to sell my car etc. Grrr I hate this.

Man of Honour
Had an interview yesterday, which went OK, but threw up a question which was new to me: "If we spoke to your (ex)-colleagues, how would they describe you?" We had some of the more common "why do you want to work for us" ones as well, but that one was a newy.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
one of the local rags has big jobs news today, theres yet another agency opening up trying to off load the same jobs everyone else is. im sure this will help the jobs market :S

Associate
How the chuff do you get a job as a graphic designer?

Trying to help Mrs Pop job search and it's even worse than job searching myself.

Awful isn't it. Took my missus nine months just to get some part-time work in the town we live in. It's hard to know how much help to offer, especially if they're the independendant type.

Permabanned
Did an aptitude test today for a local claims management company and failed. Some of the questions were ridiculous such as Which country has the 2nd most registered cars? What is the most popular vehicle model in the UK and Which car manufacturer produced the most cars in the UK. Unless you are told to research these which we weren't it's near enough impossible unless you already know.

Associate
What's really annoying about all the different agencies is only a few of them actually have preferred supplier status for a lot of bigger companies so if you're with the wrong one you can not get the job just through being with the wrong agency.

Back
Top Bottom