Forgot how bad job searching was :(

Associate
Due to horrendous circumstances I am unfortunately in the job hunting game :(

Just about got a CV that I am happy with but I'm not getting the replies :mad:

Can I upload and somebody have a quick look over it? I know that a CV should be adapted for different jobs but I have a base CV that I work from which is IT based.

Soldato
Well I have a job interview tomorrow with a call center that specializing in debt collecting taking outbound and inbound calls I believe.

In all honesty I do not want to do it. Wrong attitude to go into a job interview? Maybe. But I'm desperate and need something with more hours to support me for when I go back into education.

Has anyone worked in a similar role before?

I have to attend for 'half a day' taking various assessments and listening to presentations... Ugh!

Associate
I have recently left my job. I was going to a start up company but the position folded as their product isn't ready to go live yet. They still want to take me on however it is just a case of when! I asked my old job if I could retract my notice like a week before I was due to finish (had to work a 4 week notice) and the manager said no =/ he came in trying to turn the department into a sales call centre when we were customer service, sales isn't up my street so guess he saw it as a good opportunity to get rid.

Good thing is though the experience I gained there is good and because the company has the worst reputation in the area for treating it's staff like dirt it proves I can stay in a job I don't like! lol Gave two years of my life to that place.

I attended an interview last week for an Online Operations Executive role but lost out to a guy who had more experience than me, but it was nice to get to the final round of the recruitment. They have since called me back as my interview was considered strong and they want to interview me for a deputy manager role in another department so I am off there again tomorrow for my interview :) The only downside is I would have to drive further each day and the hours shift based, could end up finishing at 8pm :/

So just goes to show that the jobs are out there, you've just gotta make sure your CV is strong and grasps employers/recruiters! I recommend Totaljobs.com

Soldato
Well I have a job interview tomorrow with a call center that specializing in debt collecting taking outbound and inbound calls I believe.

In all honesty I do not want to do it. Wrong attitude to go into a job interview? Maybe. But I'm desperate and need something with more hours to support me for when I go back into education.

Has anyone worked in a similar role before?

I have to attend for 'half a day' taking various assessments and listening to presentations... Ugh!

Part of my job is. I do something akin to Debt Collection in a way, apart from it being B2B - been there for three days now, I wouldn't do it on a company-public level though.

Soldato
I am currently advertising for a couple of positions at my company - I decided to use jobsite and job centre plus (directgov).

We want to hire a trainee support desk analyst (basically 1st line support trainee) and a senior engineer (Avaya IP Office). This is my first experience of advertising jobs and hiring people (except when I interviewed Sainsburys till staff) and I must admit some of the poor applications amaze me - many do not fill in even the basic information like phone number and then many say they are looking for a wage that is never going to happen (eg 75k for 1st line trainee).

I have had about 30 CVs for the senior and 10 for the trainee (5 days and 1 day of being advertised) and probably half a dozen of those 40 are potentially any good, and have currently only considered 2 for interviews.

Whilst I understand it is hard out there for some it will be even harder if you cant even do the basic application well.

Are you still looking for a 1st line support trainee? I have a close friend living in London who would be ideal. Intelligent, rounded and most of all, actually has a personality.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Anyone ever had their contract terminated while still in probation?

Was due to a couple of issues whereby I basically didn't follow protocol as such, although I felt I wasnt trained enough so while I thought it was a bit unfair, there was nothing I could do about it due to being in probation and someone had to take the fall...

I'm just unsure if I should even put it on my CV (was there for just over 4 months) and use the Manager as reference (we finished on good terms), and what to answer in future interviews when they ask why I left my previous job. On my notice letter all it says is (as per clause blah blah in your contract you are given 1 weeks notice of contract termination).

Caporegime
OP
Up to you, if you feel that it will help an application, then fair game. Just be prepared to do some explaining if they ask why you was there for only 4 months.

I have one job on my CV that I was only present at for 6 months, but I left on medical grounds effectively :p

Soldato
I just got back from my job interview at the debt collection call centre.

To start off we had a presentation about the company and how the company operates. Then we had to write a short presentation about our self's and why we thought we'd be a good asset to the company; this is where I failed because everyone wrote page long essays whereas mine was just short... Maybe this displayed a lack of confidence?

Then we went into the call centre its self and I listened to some calls take place. The environment its self seemed fine. Relaxed and no pressure, people were chatting with each other between calls.

After this I had a short interview 1 to 1. I was the first to be interviewed which might not be the best of signs but I was told I'd know by email.

Oh well, who knows? Not to fussed either way. :)

Soldato
Well I had reached the telephone interview stage with a well known bank. I' had applied to this bank before however didn't have luck previously. It would be a nice start for me in the financial sector, so on that basis I applied. My CV got put through, then I did an aptitude test through the SHL website. Oh do I hate them aptitude tests as I did one previously and it didn't go so well.

Anyway, I passed it and got put through for the telephone interview. I'm hoping it did go well. It did seem to me as if it has and I was told the notes the interviewer took would be passed on to their colleague and that I would be contacted in a few weeks to be told how well I have done.

Any advice for a face to face interview? I have one coming up you see for a large supermarket in their I.T department for first line support. To one of my previous interviews I did not wear a tie, does a tie make much of a difference?

Any other tips?

Associate
Well I had reached the telephone interview stage with a well known bank. I' had applied to this bank before however didn't have luck previously. It would be a nice start for me in the financial sector, so on that basis I applied. My CV got put through, then I did an aptitude test through the SHL website. Oh do I hate them aptitude tests as I did one previously and it didn't go so well.

Anyway, I passed it and got put through for the telephone interview. I'm hoping it did go well. It did seem to me as if it has and I was told the notes the interviewer took would be passed on to their colleague and that I would be contacted in a few weeks to be told how well I have done.

Any advice for a face to face interview? I have one coming up you see for a large supermarket in their I.T department for first line support. To one of my previous interviews I did not wear a tie, does a tie make much of a difference?

Any other tips?

I am a professional Project Manager contractor, so i have LOTS of interviews for new positions in the space of a few years.

I believe you get positions based on your skillset and not whether you wear a tie or not!

Soldato
I am a professional Project Manager contractor, so i have LOTS of interviews for new positions in the space of a few years.

I believe you get positions based on your skillset and not whether you wear a tie or not!

Well yeah, that's a no brainer. I read somewhere wearing a tie does make a better impression, so I thought I'd ask.

Soldato
I am in the same awful situation. I had 3 college courses I was meant to lecture on starting this month. I was emailed 2 weeks ago to say the take up was insufficient so they will not going ahead leaving me jobless.

I can usually fall back on my NVQ Assessing, however so few companies are taking on apprentices so the avenue is closed as well.

Great now I will be on the good ole rock an roll till I can find something.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato

Whilst true I would also say it does differ being a contractor, plus personally I would always suit up for an interview, or at the least a shirt/tie/trousers outfit (well and obviously shoes, pants, socks :p).

May seem old fashioned in this day and age but what I'd always do and hasn't done me any harm.

Man of Honour
Whilst true I would also say it does differ being a contractor, plus personally I would always suit up for an interview, or at the least a shirt/tie/trousers outfit (well and obviously shoes, pants, socks :p).

May seem old fashioned in this day and age but what I'd always do and hasn't done me any harm.

I'd agree, unless the job is road sweeping, when you can probably leave the tie at home. It's all but impossible to be overdressed for an interview, but pretty easy to by under-dressed. There really is no excuse not to suit up.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Chin up, least your getting through the very first stages by having the initial chats. You'll get further with other roles, just keep plugging away!

Back
Top Bottom