Forgot how bad job searching was :(

Soldato
I'm currently working and I've had my job for 22 months but a few weeks ago I started looking for something else. I got 3 telephone interviews and one real interview sadly I didn't get the job.

Man of Honour
@Meridian

Tends to be the norm mate, half of them cant be bothered to reply nowadays

Yea, I know: but in this day and age, when most applications are electronic, surely it can't be hard to get a script which mails back all the rejections? I can understand the old days when it needed all the replies to typed up, but not these days.

But that wasn't my point: I was merely pointing out the very low hit rate in the current climate. When I've been unemployed in the past I used to get an interview for about one in five job applications; now I'm down below one in ten. And as I said, they are not random applications, but tailored to my skill set. It's just bad out there.

Associate
After almost 6 months after being finished up and countless applications back to work tomorrow this came just on the off chance from cv's I sent to companies.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
talking with a mate who manages a betting shop and he says they cant get staff for love nor money. when i asked why not he explained the hours.

you start at 10:30am go home at 2pm then come back at 5:30pm and leave at 8pm. and of course its min wage.

his bosses wont let him change the hours for the advert as its company policy, got to love companys who want to save a couple of hours of pay over no staff at all.

Man of Honour
I've now applied for 54 jobs, all of which I am fully capable of doing.

Makes you wonder doesn't it, in terms of just how many stellar CVs are companies seeing hit their inboxes when more than 9 times out of 10 you can't even land an interview for jobs you feel you are capable of. We constantly read in the media about the skills shortages, about how companies just can't get the staff these days (especially graduates), yet seemingly suitable candidates never even get a look in.

Obvious point (apologies if already done) but maybe worth giving your CV a once over and getting some second opinions on it, it could be that you are indeed capable of doing these jobs but your CV just doesn't convince the person sifting them most of the time.

Oh, and I agree about lack of response being frustrating in this day and age. A simple "we have completed our sift and all candidates for interview have been notified" would suffice, this could be a blanket email to everyone who applied, at least you know where you stand then.

I know some people have a rule of thumb "if you haven't heard within X time then you won't get interviewed" but it varies a lot between companies, I remember one job I applied for about 6 years ago it took 6 weeks between my application and them contacting me to arrange an interview. I'd actually moved house inbetween!

Man of Honour
Obvious point (apologies if already done) but maybe worth giving your CV a once over and getting some second opinions on it

Yea, already done a couple of times. That's the trouble with sifts: there's no feedback. If you get as far as interview, then sometimes you can get them to tell you why you were turned down, but you've absolutely no idea why you fail to get that far. I have my suspicions, but they are nothing I can do anything about. First: I had been doing a degree-level job for eighteen years, but I don't have a degree. I apply for jobs which say "or equivalent" but many jobs which say that, I suspect actually sift on qualifications. I should point out that I do apply for lower-level jobs, but then my CV makes me look massively over-qualified. Second: while my CV does not give my age, twenty-five years of work history (still only four jobs) kinda gives the game away, and most companies won't look at people over 40. Well, back to applications now...

M

Permabanned
Been out of work since the end of April and still no luck. I have applied to all the local agencies and I've still had nothing back. It really gets me down at times, I think the only thing keeping me going is daily exercise.

Soldato
I have an interview for 1st line tech support does anyone know what questions I will be asked? I have limited education/experience so it cant be too technical as my CV makes clear I would only have the basic knowledge.

Soldato
I got an interview through an agency called Lynx Recruitment for a "systems engineer" job at a place called Altimate, if I got it I'd be working on selling "value add" products to clients around the UK and Europe, so a lot of travel. It'd involve doing presentations and things that I'm proper nervous about, and I even told them that, so I can't see myself getting to the next round.

Back
Top Bottom