Former Russian double agent seriously ill in Salisbury.

Caporegime
Yet they keep pushing the limits and eventually the other side will break and we will see military action greater than last night or last year, unless you think Assad & Russia are both going to stop with their behaviour ?

Why is, for example, poisoning a spy with a nerve agent "pushing the limits" relative to say poisoning a spy with polonium - it seems to be of about the same order of magnitude as far as risk etc.. is concerned - I wouldn't describe the second attempt at pushing a limit but rather just more of the same and they got away without many repercussions last time. Yes I think they'd perhaps be less likely to attempt the same thing in future given the rather higher cost incurred this time around.

Soldato
Yes I think they'd perhaps be less likely to attempt the same thing in future given the rather higher cost incurred this time around.

What high cost ? They hit 3 targets which according to some sources had been evacuated ahead of the strike, this strike has achieved nothing and certainly not done anything to harm Russia

It won't stop their behaviour, if they are responsible for their behaviour and it's not disinformation of course, they will keep doing this and eventually we will have to take much harsher action

The only way this path leads is to eventual war, the fact you think it's going to make them think twice for what is a glorified slap on the wrist is incredibly naive

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Now that's a good question. What supports the Russian claim about the Swiss lab not concurring with the final report, is that their foreign minister, Lavrov, is a proper statesman, the direct opposite to the likes of Boris Johnson, and the trust he has earned because of this entitles him to be given the benefit of the doubt regarding the claim, because:

So in short, you believe the Russians because you want to believe the Russians. How is that any different from those that believe the British because they want to believe the British? (Not to mention the public part of the report stating that they agree with the UK findings, something you haven't really addressed)

(1) It is something that can be easily confirmed or denied by the Swiss lab in question, and

It cant really be "easily confirmed or denied" by the Swiss lab as they would have been working for the OPCW and will be required to keep the full report secret.

Caporegime
What high cost ? They hit 3 targets which according to some sources had been evacuated ahead of the strike, this strike has achieved nothing and certainly not done anything to harm Russia

"higher cost" - it is a relative term... attention to detail, I'm not sure why you're getting confused and are now talking about the Syrian strikes

see - closure of their consulate in the US, mass expulsion of diplomats from multiple countries, generally showing them up for the rogue state they currently are... did you not watch the news recently?

The only way this path leads is to eventual war, the fact you think it's going to make them think twice for what is a glorified slap on the wrist is incredibly naive

in your head it seems to do that perhaps, it seems more likely that the assassination was simply the action of a state currently run by gangsters who see traitors as legitimate targets for execution... these are hardly the only people the current regime has assassinated - given the relatively low level of repercussions last time they tried it then I'm not sure how you can conclude that doing so again is them wanting to start a war... more likely they're just carrying on as usual and trying to send a message to any other would be spies or influential people opposing the regime

Last edited:
Soldato
So in short, you believe the Russians because you want to believe the Russians. How is that any different from those that believe the British because they want to believe the British?

Don't put words in my mouth. The difference is I never base my judgment on nationality but individual character. No nation has a monopoly on truth or good behaviour (or bad for that matter).

(Not to mention the public part of the report stating that they agree with the UK findings, something you haven't really addressed)

Bit of a pointless question. These Swiss findings never made it into the member-state report, of which there is a public summary. So the question is why? I don't have to answer why. It's the UK and OPCW members that need to answer why, obviously.

It cant really be "easily confirmed or denied" by the Swiss lab as they would have been working for the OPCW and will be required to keep the full report secret.

Well, "easily" can easily become semantics. They can easily do it, in the sense that they know already if this is true or not. But you raise an interesting matter. The question is whether they will decide to, and incur the wrath of NATO and be expelled from the OPCW even though that disclosure would prove there were shenanigans afoot in the OPCW. The more important question is not arguing about easy or hard, but how come we are in a position where the Swiss could legally be prevented from disclosing very pertinent information which is missing from the report and its summary?

I can hazard a guess at how the UK government and OPCW legal experts have played it - the Swiss lab also confirmed the presence of the unnamed agent (that the UK originally called Novichok), and it was decided that they could legally go with "OPCW confirms UK findings". The deception being, of course, that apart from confirming the UK's findings, they also found the presence of BZ, and this went unmentioned both in the report and public summary. Interestingly, the Swiss lab is said to have expressed surprise at the purity or "freshness" of the 'novichok' sample, and this is also something that never made it into the report or public summary. We will see.

Do you think these findings, if true, ought to be kept secret?

Soldato
"higher cost" - it is a relative term... attention to detail, I'm not sure why you're getting confused and are now talking about the Syrian strikes

see - closure of their consulate in the US, mass expulsion of diplomats from multiple countries, generally showing them up for the rogue state they currently are... did you not watch the news recently?

in your head it seems to do that perhaps, it seems more likely that the assassination was simply the action of a state currently run by gangsters who see traitors as legitimate targets for execution... these are hardly the only people the current regime has assassinated - given the relatively low level of repercussions last time they tried it then I'm not sure how you can conclude that doing so again is them wanting to start a war... more likely they're just carrying on as usual and trying to send a message to any other would be spies or influential people opposing the regime

Russia and Syria are interlinked, an attack on Syria is effectively an attack on Russia by proxy and I'd consider the strike far more harsh than expelling some diplomats and let's be honest the ones expelled were suspected spies

My point is though, if their behaviour won't change, which based on prior history it won't, then a line will have be drawn somewhere like the west has done against Syria and chemical weapons which will result in harsher measures than expelling some diplomats or imposing sanctions, neither of which seem to phase Putin, what other option is there apart from violence once you've expended all the other non violent avenues (not including proxy acts of violence on allies of Russia)

It's possible in your fantasy world Russia will actually heed warnings (if they're even responsible) and will change behaviour but I highly doubt it and they will keep pushing and pushing until the West says enough and ups the ante or on the flip side Russia has enough of the accusations of the West and finally takes some proper action

Either way if they continue and there's no evidence to suggest they won't then war is inevitable

Caporegime
It's possible in your fantasy world Russia will actually heed warnings (if they're even responsible) and will change behaviour but I highly doubt it and they will keep pushing and pushing until the West says enough and ups the ante or on the flip side Russia has enough of the accusations of the West and finally takes some proper action

I think you missed the point - there is nothing fantasy about it, it was factual to point out that there was a higher cost this time around, that in itself makes it less likely - it has to be worth paying that potential cost if they want to pull another stunt like it again. There was a relatively low cost previously, it was clearly worthwhile for them to try it a second time. The west has upped the ante - the cost of assassinating someone in the UK now involves some major disruption to their spy networks across Europe and the US.

Either way if they continue and there's no evidence to suggest they won't then war is inevitable

no one is going to war over the assassination or attempted assassination of a spy

an attack on chemical weapons facilities in Syria isn't an attack on Russia

Soldato
no one is going to war over the assassination or attempted assassination of a spy

an attack on chemical weapons facilities in Syria isn't an attack on Russia

What other option is there if Russia keeps killing spies in the UK ?

Surely the government has to act beyond expulsion of "diplomats" otherwise it looks a pushover to other states which may potentially pose a threat

What option does Russia have if the West keeps bullying them and their allies into a corner ? Putin doesn't strike me as a leader willing to look weak on the global stage

An attack on alleged chemical weapons facilities might not be a direct attack on Russia but it is an attack on them due to their vested interest in Syria

Associate
Russia has been up to some dodgy stuff the past few years, There is the Ukraine invasion, the passenger jet that got blown out of the sky, the assassination of Litvinenko and attempted assassination of the Skripals. There is the whole hacking and elections thing as well.. in fact Putin has been up to no good for years and getting away with it.
Suspect this is the west giving him a reminder that enough's enough.

Caporegime
What other option is there if Russia keeps killing spies in the UK ?

Surely the government has to act beyond expulsion of "diplomats" otherwise it looks a pushover to other states which may potentially pose a threat

What option does Russia have if the West keeps bullying them and their allies into a corner ? Putin doesn't strike me as a leader willing to look weak on the global stage

An attack on alleged chemical weapons facilities might not be a direct attack on Russia but it is an attack on them due to their vested interest in Syria

It isn't an attack on them, no Russian was killed, it didn't destroy any of the Syrian Regime's military capability other than their ability to launch chemical weapons attacks, it didn't even kill anyone.

There are lots of options if Russia keeps killing spies in the UK, there aren't really too many spies for them to kill though... it is a bit bizarre that you seem to think the inevitable conclusion is war. That is a risk re: say escalation in the Syrian conflict and is why the West have been rather careful in avoiding (official) Russian military casualties.

Caporegime
OPCW confirms Novichok was used in the Salisbury attack:

Former MI6 spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia were poisoned using a novichok nerve agent, the international chemical weapons watchdog has confirmed. Four separate laboratories around the world all reached the same conclusion as the UK government regarding the nature of the poison, the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons said in an executive summary of its findings.

The organisation was called in to carry out an independent investigation into the poisoning of the pair in Salisbury last month. Its conclusion matches that of UK government scientists at the Porton Down defence laboratory and is likely to place fresh pressure on Russia to answer questions about its alleged involvement in the attack.

(Source).

Back
Top Bottom