Forza Horizon 4

Soldato
What's actually happening? Could you run the benchmark and post a screenshot?

I had stuttering problems last year. It was the CPU. I upgraded to Ryzen, and everything was fine; a solid 60fps (I forget what settings though; probably whatever it set as default). That was with an RX570 4GB. So I wouldn't assume it's a VRAM problem. It could be, but I doubt you'd want to spend up to £200 on a new GPU and find there's minimal improvement.

Last edited:
Soldato
What's actually happening? Could you run the benchmark and post a screenshot?

I had stuttering problems last year. It was the CPU. I upgraded to Ryzen, and everything was fine; a solid 60fps (I forget what settings though; probably whatever it set as default). That was with an RX570 4GB. So I wouldn't assume it's a VRAM problem. It could be, but I doubt you'd want to spend up to £200 on a new GPU and find there's minimal improvement.

Sorry forgot to reply, I've got it running pretty much on high now at 60fps. Its just things like the night racers where it occasionally drops but nothing major and overall far more optimised than FH3. Where is the benchmark btw, I remember seeing it in the demo but can't find it in the full game.

Does anyone know what equivalent settings the Xbox One X runs it at, I'm assuming Ultra at 60ps at 1080p.

Soldato
Sorry forgot to reply, I've got it running pretty much on high now at 60fps. Its just things like the night racers where it occasionally drops but nothing major and overall far more optimised than FH3. Where is the benchmark btw, I remember seeing it in the demo but can't find it in the full game.

Does anyone know what equivalent settings the Xbox One X runs it at, I'm assuming Ultra at 60ps at 1080p.

The benchmark tool is in the settings menu on the main title screen. It'll tell you exactly what's causing the problem.

If you're GPU limited, the graph will look something like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Note that the blue CPU Render form a fairly straight line and you can't see many green dots below that line. Also, the "GPU Limited" figure is 99.9.

If you're CPU limited, the graph will look something like this:

Bj0UtyOyg2erfWdnM-qZJ-baJeLPavgDGknvTntggIk.png

This time, the yellow GPU line is fairly straight and it's the blue CPU render and simulation dots that are over the place, dipping below the GPU line. The "GPU Limited" figure is also low.

Pre-upgrade, I was getting reasonable average FPS. But the game would stutter occasionally, making it a nightmare to play. The graph looked a bit like the second, but worse (basically shift the entire CPU portion down by 10fps). The stutters while the benchmark was running corresponded to dips in the blue line. Upgrading the CPU fixed the problem.

Good that you've got it running well now though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks, ran it and like you say it shows it as being GPU limited but after tweaking hits a steady 60fps which is fine for me.

i7-3930k is a 6 core cpu so still has some life left in it and GTX 970's fetch a fair price second hand so might do the upgrade to a 1070 sometime if a good deal comes up on the MM.

Ree

Ree

Associate
Nope, been getting the daily 100pt Forza cars each day fine by doing the online Forzathons. Run the network troubleshooter in Windows settings. Think it's under gaming.

got it fixed had to do the cmd prompt stuff but i didn't change anything so what the hell caused it i have no idea.

doing this fixed it. way above my head.

reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters /v DisabledComponents /t REG_DWORD /d 0x0

Last edited:
Soldato
Since the latest game update and geforce driver update im getting frame drops down to 30fps for a few seconds than it jumps back up above 100fps. Before it was constantly above 100fps and smooth. The drops make it a stuttery mess. Anyone else having this issue ?

Soldato
Since the latest game update and geforce driver update im getting frame drops down to 30fps for a few seconds than it jumps back up above 100fps. Before it was constantly above 100fps and smooth. The drops make it a stuttery mess. Anyone else having this issue ?

Does it still occur when the benchmark is run, show up in the results graph?

Soldato
I found this is more suited to a controller, FM7 is good with a wheel, but this is more on the arcade side.

I was playing FM7 last night, it seems very challenging, I was in an Audi RS4 and just kept spinning out.

I reduced this by only braking in a straight line and if i went too fast around a corner well not even too fast but if the tyres screached slightly which was easy to make them do then the wheels would lock up.

Soldato
Yeah I gave up using a wheel on Horizon, just doesn't handle properly and you're at a disadvantage to anyone using a gamepad.

FM7 is better, but still required tweaking the settings.

Back
Top Bottom