Freeman of the Land / Bonkers Theories

Caporegime
Why?

My old plumber was a Magistrate.

What qualifications do you think they possess to pass legal judgements, to understand victims and the wider effect on society that the crimes can have? The ones up here are absolute wet blankets and constantly let violent criminals off!

Prime example;

Last edited:
Commissario
What qualifications do you think they possess to pass legal judgements, to understand victims and the wider effect on society that the crimes can have? The ones up here are absolute wet blankets and constantly let violent criminals off!

Prime example;

Well the thing is, Magistrates are meant to be representative of the people they are dealing with...

That's their entire thing, they're meant to be volunteers from the local community who do not deal with the law every day, so they are as close in background to those appearing before them as possible.

What they do get is training on the law (quite a lot actually*), and every magistrates court has a highly qualified "clerk" who gives them guidance on the actual law, and will recommend (which the magistrate would be daft to ignore) if the case may need to be seen by a "magistrate" court where one of the members is a Judge, and they only ever deal with low level cases, or the first step in higher level cases.
IIRC any offence you can go to jail for more than 6 months is automatically passed onto the crown courts, with any appearance at the Magistrates being purely to do things like confirm that, and if someone will be held in custody.

It's amazing how people complain about "judges are out of touch with the people" then complain about the very part of the legal system in the UK that is meant to most closely mirror the "people" by deliberately involving people in non legal professions.

*Not in the find detail but how to assess the facts, how to consider different things, and then in specifics for certain types of cases (and IIRC they won't see cases that they've not been trained for).

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well the thing is, Magistrates are meant to be representative of the people they are dealing with...

That's their entire thing, they're meant to be volunteers from the local community who do not deal with the law every day, so they are as close in background to those appearing before them as possible.

What they do get is training on the law (quite a lot actually*), and every magistrates court has a highly qualified "clerk" who gives them guidance on the actual law, and will recommend (which the magistrate would be daft to ignore) if the case may need to be seen by a "magistrate" court where one of the members is a Judge, and they only ever deal with low level cases, or the first step in higher level cases.
IIRC any offence you can go to jail for more than 6 months is automatically passed onto the crown courts, with any appearance at the Magistrates being purely to do things like confirm that, and if someone will be held in custody.

It's amazing how people complain about "judges are out of touch with the people" then complain about the very part of the legal system in the UK that is meant to most closely mirror the "people" by deliberately involving people in non legal professions.

*Not in the find detail but how to assess the facts, how to consider different things, and then in specifics for certain types of cases (and IIRC they won't see cases that they've not been trained for).

One can be of a legal profession and be of the people.
Just as a reminder, the British public voted in the tories. Repeatedly. I'd say that's a good argument against just anyone being responsible for judgements!

Caporegime
He was in his SL500 with the roof down, due to the arguing the office reached in and grabbed his keys.
After more arguing with the police office he was arrested and offered to walk to the car, he refused. Two more officers turned up with a van and had to carry him and put him the back of the van, they were moaning about how heavy he is LOL. Hopefully they will do him for resisting arrest as well.
This is the intro to my new movie which releases on Netflix this fall.

Man of Honour
Police Interceptors on tonight, the last section was a Freeman of the Land. He even called his Mum who arrived on the scene and she was worse than him. It ended up he had got a license and insurance so got fined nearly £600 for wasting Police time.

Soldato

Prime example;

I don't need to. The system has already done that on our behalf.

Soldato
You deal with SARS for a hospital though? so wouldnt it be different since its personal medial records?

Edit: NVM its the same, MET website says you can only access footage where you are personally identifiable.
Just ring up and say yes I'm Mr xyz, as long as they don't ask for a first name you're ok :D .

Soldato
Police Interceptors on tonight, the last section was a Freeman of the Land. He even called his Mum who arrived on the scene and she was worse than him. It ended up he had got a license and insurance so got fined nearly £600 for wasting Police time.

I saw that, before the break when they said 'coming up, a motorist wasting police time' and you saw him in the car filming on his phone, I knew it was going to ve a Freeman of the land nutjob!

And he had a mullet....:cry:

Man of Honour
Just ring up and say yes I'm Mr xyz, as long as they don't ask for a first name you're ok :D .

Got a story about that.
We had a Claim come in against the Trust because we had broken GDPR rules which is very serious.
To cut a long story short a Dad, a Son and his Son all lived in the same house and all were called eg John Smith :)
We sent a letter to John Smith and one of the other John Smith's opened it up causing a bit of furore because the one with the 'illness' didn't want the other John Smith's to know.
To cut a long story short again the Judge said it was up to the 3x John Smith's to have informed the hospital that there was indeed 3 different John Smith's in the house and we could have had indentifiable data by each of them.
Of course on the letters are DOB, NHS Number and Hospital Number but you don't see that until you open the letter.

Associate
OP
He went to collect his car and produce documents on Monday.

The desk sergeant told him that the documents are false and he wont get his car back until he has produced insurance, tax and the right plates. They are charging him to store the car.

Get this, the insurance guy from the common law court suggested he taxed and insured his vehicle to get it back and they would pursue the police in court.... he has told my mate he's getting "really good advice" about what to do next, I guess abiding by the law makes sense....

I'm interested to see how this goes down as surely he will get a court date which he may take one of two ways, either ignore it or go to town on them.

Apparently when he was arrested he spent four hours in the cells after winding them all up in the station.

This is going to spectacularly back fire, unfortunately for him his NPD prevents him from being wrong, the hole he is digging is getting deeper.

Soldato
He went to collect his car and produce documents on Monday.

The desk sergeant told him that the documents are false and he wont get his car back until he has produced insurance, tax and the right plates. They are charging him to store the car.

Get this, the insurance guy from the common law court suggested he taxed and insured his vehicle to get it back and they would pursue the police in court.... he has told my mate he's getting "really good advice" about what to do next, I guess abiding by the law makes sense....

I'm interested to see how this goes down as surely he will get a court date which he may take one of two ways, either ignore it or go to town on them.

Apparently when he was arrested he spent four hours in the cells after winding them all up in the station.

This is going to spectacularly back fire, unfortunately for him his NPD prevents him from being wrong, the hole he is digging is getting deeper.

Thanks for the update.

It's amazing that these Freeman people don't appear to see where things will end up.

I appreciate that you've been involved in this situation and had a job extricating yourself, but from my perspective I do feel sorry for him in a way because surely this must be some sort of mental health episode. He's delusional.

Back
Top Bottom