Fuel price discussion thread (was ‘chaos’)

Just get a motorcycle. Does exactly the same thing as a bike but can keep up with traffic in the real sense.

I am looking into buying a scooter for my daughter who will be turning 16 next year. You can get everything including insurance for under a grand.

It is actually surprising how little people use motorbikes compared to say the 60's and 70's.

They actually seem perfect for today's modern world. Cheap to run, very economical and easy to learn. 125's will do 70mph all day.

I get the weather argument but our country is really mild for the most part.

Not practical/comfortable compared to a car, and much more dangerous even at low speeds etc. I know I'd rather be in a car when some blind idiot pulls out on you at 30mph!

I don't think 'interested in cars' is a particularly low criteria.
Interest is a funny thing though isn't it. My interest is actually being totally anti-car; it is miserable how our landscape has been shaped by such an inefficient, ineffective means of moving ones self. It is the sole reason public transport is garbage for lots of people. This artificial dependency has ruined our built environment.

My other interest however, is in nice high performing vehicles* that put a smile on your face.

The intersection between my two interests is highly limited. The sheer fact I have a child and need to transport a whole bunch of crap when I visit grandparents is my "cop out". I'd love to be able to grab the train with her to see grandparents, though.

*relatively speaking.

I think personal transport probably is a luxury. A luxury that opens up alternative, nicer places to live like the countryside perhaps.
This is a good point but subjective. Relying on a car, salt spreaders, etc. means the "halfway house countryside" is not that pleasant. I like I can walk with my girl to cultural hot spots, parks, to get snacks etc.

Last edited:
Just get a motorcycle. Does exactly the same thing as a bike but can keep up with traffic in the real sense.

I thought long and hard about it instead of a car as there are clear parking advantages, but don't feel I can take the risk of the higher speeds. A crash last year on my bike at 21mph caused 7 fractured vertebrae.

I am looking into buying a scooter for my daughter who will be turning 16 next year. You can get everything including insurance for under a grand.

It is actually surprising how little people use motorbikes compared to say the 60's and 70's.

They actually seem perfect for today's modern world. Cheap to run, very economical and easy to learn. 125's will do 70mph all day.

I get the weather argument but our country is really mild for the most part.
I wouldn't put my child on a 50cc death trap. At least wait until she can get on a 125 which are slightly less death trappy although I'd disagree that they can all happily do 70mph other than downhill.

Not practical/comfortable compared to a car, and much more dangerous even at low speeds etc. I know I'd rather be in a car when some blind idiot pulls out on you at 30mph!

Yeah - my brother used to bike to work and had a nasty off which fortunately the armoured jacket he was wearing prevented any real injury - people pulling out on him was one of the reasons he gave it up.

Erm.. its has a title like all the other sub forums, because it has that title does not mean every person is obsessed with "Motors" or does that not compute with people like you who are motors obsessed. The thread title is - "petrol station chaos" - I assume that means any one who uses a petrol station may want to comment, not everyone browses using the sub-forum titles as well, some just sort be new. Its funny that people do thing differently, isn't it? ;)
Do you use a petrol station ?

Years ago you used to be able to judge if you've arrived in a crap area just by how much fuel the person before you put in their car. Now I just see £10 on the majority of pumps throughout the UK. :D

Years ago you used to be able to judge if you've arrived in a crap area just by how much fuel the person before you put in their car. Now I just see £10 on the majority of pumps throughout the UK. :D
Remember my ex saying her dad only puts a fiver in his Cavalier 4x4 because of odds of it getting nicked lol.

Remember my ex saying her dad only puts a fiver in his Cavalier 4x4 because of odds of it getting nicked lol.
the good old times V (on top of energy/strike/inflation ...hmmm - what is actually going well in the UK ? ... ok it's sunny today, & I bought my petrol before dawn )

Superintendent Jim Munro from West Midlands Police said: "What we've seen over the pandemic is there are some issues around parts supply coming into the motor industry and delays with builds.
"What we've seen in the West Midlands is likewise what we've seen across the piece nationally - there is a desire for certain vehicle parts, and this is fuelling the theft of motor vehicle crimes."

e: ... but my car has a very particular set of parts. .. parts that will make it very profitable for people like you

Last edited:

Seems to be quite a few people lately trying to finesse £5 or £10 at the pump... won't be able to do £5 soon though LOL with the minimum 2L delivery or whatever it is.

Also seeing an increased number of people taking an interest when I'm filling up and shaking their heads :s even half a tank has a lot of people recoiling in horror as the numbers go up... as they are trying to squeeze the most they can out of £20.

Back
Top Bottom