Fuji X Series

Caporegime
Soldato
Well yeah but I only use mine to stop scratches rather than full force impacts. Also, my 007 filters are easier to wipe fingerprints and grease off compared to the front element.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Try that when a stone flies up and hits the end of your lens! :eek:

But in general, you have to add and remove the lens hood and anything can happen no matter how careful you are.

A "cheap - in comparison to the lens cost" UV filter just adds that extra protection on the safe side.

I guess with the very remote chance of a stone flying down the lens hood, that's what insurance is for.

In all seriousness though if I'm spending £1500 on a lens, I want the best image as possible and I don't see how I can get that, with sticking some inferior glass on the front.

Each to their own I guess, but I'd be surprised if any of the pro togs on here use filters as lens protectors.

Man of Honour
Dipped in and out of Fuji over the years but picked up an X-Pro 2 on launch and been using that ever since, had a great year with trips abroad, landscaping and even some wedding shots with the camera and loved using it.

Briefly picked up an XT2 at launch and decided that while its a cracking bit of kit I didn't really need it so sold it on and decided to try a used Sony A7ii to go with my X-Pro 2, 3 days later and the Sony is going, the handling is terrible and the controls are awful.

Spotted the XT2 & 18-55 kit on Amazon UK today (direct from Amazon) and its coming tomorrow, staying with Fuji full-time and will work around the issues I've been experiencing with processing some RAW X-Trans files (not all mind)

Caporegime
Dipped in and out of Fuji over the years but picked up an X-Pro 2 on launch and been using that ever since, had a great year with trips abroad, landscaping and even some wedding shots with the camera and loved using it.

Briefly picked up an XT2 at launch and decided that while its a cracking bit of kit I didn't really need it so sold it on and decided to try a used Sony A7ii to go with my X-Pro 2, 3 days later and the Sony is going, the handling is terrible and the controls are awful.

Spotted the XT2 & 18-55 kit on Amazon UK today (direct from Amazon) and its coming tomorrow, staying with Fuji full-time and will work around the issues I've been experiencing with processing some RAW X-Trans files (not all mind)

I really can't understand how people can research so little as to buy something, sell it, and then buy it again. It's bizarre to me.

Soldato
Looking in to purchasing a flash for my XT2 but am undecided as to what to get. I know there are a number of makes including the YN-560IV, Nissin I40 & I60A but my purchasing choice for the moment would be limited by casual use for portraiture. Personal recommendations based on experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Caporegime
Looking in to purchasing a flash for my XT2 but am undecided as to what to get. I know there are a number of makes including the YN-560IV, Nissin I40 & I60A but my purchasing choice for the moment would be limited by casual use for portraiture. Personal recommendations based on experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The Nissin i40 and i60 don't yet support HSS for the Fuji X-T2 (because Fuji changed the protocol with the new firmware), though a firmware update is due around the end of the year that will hopefully fix it.

Yongnao have no TTL so are manual only.

Your only choice for working HSS and TTL is the Fuji EX500 which isn't even released yet due to heavy delays.

Your only choice for a working TTL flash are the existing Fuji flashes on the market now.

The Fuji flash situation is beyond awful.

Soldato
I'll do some looking to see how close Nissin might be to the update.
I'm using the Adobe DNG converter and am noticing that all of the actual conversions are slightly washed out when comparing to the actual .Raf files. I shall try Capture One tonight to see if there is any difference or improvement. What else is anybody using to convert fuji raw files?

Caporegime
I'm using the Adobe DNG converter and am noticing that all of the actual conversions are slightly washed out when comparing to the actual .Raf files. I shall try Capture One tonight to see if there is any difference or improvement. What else is anybody using to convert fuji raw files?

Do a Google, the are many articles on processing Fuji files that explain it better than we can. :)

Soldato

CaptureOne does a good job and is what I use. Lightroom doesn't do a great job apparently.

Have a look on the web - several ones do a good job with the Fuji files.

Soldato
I use Lightroom. I did some testing way back with other options and quite liked PhotoNinja results, but you only really see the differences when at 100%. I chose to keep using Loghtroom for the superior workflow and use PN if really needed for large prints. Ultimately I still just use Lightroom.

Associate
Just bought the Samyang 12m to compliment the rest of my kit with some ND Filters and a Hahnel Captur Remote Control and Flash Trigger. I'm off to Skye next week to put them to good use.

Watch out for reflections between the front element and filter with the 12mm- I've had a lot of instances where I get a discernable "12mm 1:2.0 NCS" in shots with any strong foreground light sources.

Back
Top Bottom