• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gainward bring you a 512MB 7800 GT for AGP!!!!

Permabanned
Loadsa thats your opinion and sure others will want flagship agp card in year to come like Ultra and limited cards like this bliss, who care by then, no way im building now on getting stale 939 or new high latency ddr2 AM2 possibly bug ridden when new like all N-Force in past.

I like top end so It wouild cost me £1300 approx or more to build new rig now and thats no going to happen, I paid more for this at time it was new spec, but its easier to change parts now and then selling on old, and I am getting my moneys worth out it, and any game at 1600x1200 is no problems to me apart from 72HZ refresh on CRt so I prefer 1280x960 or 1024 if able to set to 4:3.

Is this thread not about AGP btw ?

I never started the shouting, that was you with your broken caplock, nor do I tell agp users to dig their rigs, are we done here so we can move on to helping others, after all you are a agp hater why you in this thread?.

I never said i was more knowledgeable anyone here did I, so your making things up now.

Im will be well chuffed when my new card arrives and I hops all others ordering will do so also, I have been on phone since asking about premuim price compaired to other retailers (yes i am a man of action not just works here)to OCUK and they do seem to be selling well even on preorder, if guy was honest with me.

Im not going to bite my nose off to spite my face, I want this card to carry me over till Vista build rig.

Peace :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
amdnv said:
Loadsa thats your opinion ad sure others will want flagship agp card in year to come like Ultra and limited cards like this bliss, who care by then, no way im building now on getting stale 939 or new high latency ddr2 AM2 possibly bug ridden when new like all N-Force in past.

Is this thread not about AGP btw ?

I never started the shouting, that was you with your broken caplock, nor do I tell agp users to dig their rigs, are we done here so we can move on to helping others, after all you are a agp hater why you in this thread?.

I never said i was more knowledgeable anyone here did I, so your making things up now.

Im will be well chuffed when my new card arrives and I hops all others ordering will do so also, I have been on phone since asking about premuim price compaired to other retailers (yes i am a man of action not just works here)to OCUK and they do seem to be selling well even on preorder, if guy was honest with me.

Im not going to bite my nose off to spite my face, I want this card to carry me over till Vista build rig.

Peace :)

what cpu are you running?

Permabanned
I had a 3200xp barton as new and paid over £380 for it (lol) sold for good cash year later got amd2600M 1.4v IQ stepping from here for £70 it runs 250mhz/500mhz ddr FSB @ 2.8gig, so in power calc tool thats gonna be high if a xp3200 barton was 3.2 gig equiv with 200mhz/400mhz ddr FSB @ only 2.2gig.

End of day Im well happy, with that and 2gig pc3500 etc etc, gpu is possibly a little tired now but new core+512MB will help.

Caporegime
amdnv said:
I had a 3200xp barton as new and paid over £380 for it (lol) sold for good cash year later got amd2600M 1.4v IQ stepping from here for £70 it runs 250mhz/500mhz ddr FSB @ 2.8gig, so in power calc tool thats gonna be high if a xp3200 barton was 3.2 gig equiv with 200mhz/400mhz ddr FSB @ only 2.2gig.

End of day Im well happy, with that and 2gig pc3500 etc etc, gpu is possibly a little tired now but new core+512MB will help.

you would get good money for that on an auction site more than paying for a A64 and pcie mobo

Permabanned
No thanks, Ive already stated till Im blue in the face I dont want a new build till Vista, the spec I will use aint even out yet, It wont be 939 and it wont be high latency ddr2 like CAS5 then.

All others can do what they like, I dont interfer in their build choices, I do only build amd64 939's for customers, as their current PC's as i said before are likes of dells.

I feel Im within topic of this thread, so why dont someone open a "hate AGP" thread ?.

Im here to ideally post input along with others next mon/tues when I have card not hopefully reade a lot of flaming posts.

I can hope cant I.

Anyone here on AGP and happy for time being and wanna back me up ? :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Its down to user preference if they want to stay with AGP and spend £300 on a 7800GT 512MB card. I think its a wrong move myself. PCI-E is the way to go. Instead of buying the £300 AGP card, you can get a Opty 144, DFI Ultra-D and a 256MB 7800 GT from here for £405. Now that is a valid upgrade, instead of improving a AGP format by £300 with a new GPU alone. Selling the AGP mobo, cpu (if not skt939) and AGP gpu will get you more than enough money that you can put to your initial £300 budget for the new AGP card and buy a whole new PCI-E setup.

Simple enough to me...

Last edited:
Associate
Am I the only one who doesn't see switching a mobo and CPU out fo a case as a "major overhaul"? Or that reinstalling Windows is a chore? To keep a clean system I regularly do a clean Windows Install, and swapping out a mobo is a 5 minute job - max! You can get an equal performing card for £100 less on PCI-E, or even get a 7600GT, £40 mobo and an £80 cpu -even with the lesser card it is likely to outperform an aging XP or P4 chip.

Soldato
amdnv said:
Anyone here on AGP and happy for time being and wanna back me up ? :D

I am ;) :D Using the 'family' pc. Well my dad uses his laptop now so he does'nt use this anymore. My mum only uses it for a few puzzle games and internet etc. Nothing too intense. I use it for internet and msn thats all. No intrest in gaming but I am going to upgrade the system mem on this to 1gig and thinking of getting a new AGP card :p: Looking at something like a X800 XT PE / X850 XT PE / 6800U or something along those lines. Not looking at spending loads though. £100 max, when I got the money to put into this pc. My new rig is priority though, PCI-E of course...

Anyways, Im not trying to make anyone up happy, flaming them or what not, just saying in my view I wouldnt spend £300 on a AGP card.

However there are a lot more people out there with AGP systems and will go out and pay £300 for a new card to improve thier games. They will not look at changing to a whole new format and going though all the so called 'trouble' they might have. For us people who build our own rigs, have different views and know whats best for us.

Soldato
amdnv said:

your runnign a barton @ 2.8ghz? what are you using to cool it, mach2?

Permabanned
The above users cant seem to grasp that my Vista build wont be the spec thats exist now and will cost me well over £1000+.

No my cpu was cooled by a TT Pipe101 (90mm) + Silentcat 90mm although idle was higher than Id like but not too high even on load to go by 55C and now Im on a TT BigTypoon (120mm)+ Silentcat120mm, the cpu is only using 1.875V to get that speed and can do 2.2gig @ 1.45v and 2.5gig @ 1.65v, I got a good chip.
PC is what is classed as Silent ie has quiet fans most is 21db.

BTW that speed is prime95/3dmark(all)N-Bench/sandra/memtest passed.

The kinda of spec, Im reading here from others telling every AGP user to ditch rig for isnt even close to what I would build anyhow in spec or £, if I had to build now, which I dont, the GPU Id buy now If I had to is nearly £500 and was over £600 when new in stock, so no way I get a complete PC to my liking for £300-400, Ive read above lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wakinglimb said:
Am I the only one who doesn't see switching a mobo and CPU out fo a case as a "major overhaul"? Or that reinstalling Windows is a chore? To keep a clean system I regularly do a clean Windows Install, and swapping out a mobo is a 5 minute job - max! You can get an equal performing card for £100 less on PCI-E, or even get a 7600GT, £40 mobo and an £80 cpu -even with the lesser card it is likely to outperform an aging XP or P4 chip.

You cant get a PCI-e card that out performs this for £100. Its faster than a standard PCI-e 7800GT due to its faster memory and it has 512MB. Go find me a PCI-e 512MB 7800GT with an Arctic Cooler for less than £200.

The actualy card is priced right. The same specced card would probably be £250 on PCI-e anyway. The main reason stopping me from upgrading with this is:

a) I'll probably want a DX10 card in 10 months anyway.
b) I could get a 7900GT and S754 pci-e motherboard for cheaper. (which is what Im doing)
c) I need to upgrade to pci-e at some point
d) I wont be able to use this card in a new system, say if I wanted a dual core AM2 socket Athlon at Xmas.

This card is good for:
a) people with top end Socket A or S478 who want some instant upgrade to play all the latest games on their aging pc's.
b) people with lots of money and not much pc knowledge who want instant power without any technical hastles.
c) people with loads of crap on their PCs, that it would literaly take AGES to install all the software again, sort out all their documents etc - some people just dont use there PCs for games you know. It can be a major hastle re-installing a new OS.
d) time is money for some people, and paying the premium is worth it for instant gaming pleasure.

I also hear this card is only being sold in Europe, so once you've finished with it and got fed up and gone to pci-e in year, it might have some serious re-sale value on Ebay to Yanks (as reading their forums, they are upset they cant buy it) This all depends on if a more powerful AGP card comes out, and chances are it will.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Good comments, sensible at last, added to users who do have a clue about PC's but want tided over till Vista to spend a ton of saved up cash then.

I aint rich BTW.

Soldato
amdnv said:
The above users cant seem to grasp that my Vista build wont be the spec thats exist now and will cost me well over £1000+.

No my cpu was cooled by a TT Pipe101 (90mm) + Silentcat 90mm although idle was higher than Id like but not too high even on load to go by 55C and now Im on a TT BigTypoon (120mm)+ Silentcat120mm, the cpu is only using 1.875V to get that speed and can do 2.2gig @ 1.45v and 2.5gig @ 1.65v, I got a good chip.
PC is what is classed as Silent ie has quiet fans most is 21db.

BTW that speed is prime95/3dmark(all)N-Bench/sandra/memtest passed.

The kinda of spec, Im reading here from others telling every AGP user to ditch rig for isnt even close to what I would build anyhow in spec or £, if I had to build now, which I dont, the GPU Id buy now If I had to is nearly £500 and was over £600 when new in stock, so no way I get a complete PC to my liking for £300-400, Ive read above lol.

I know you want to build a new rig for Vista. Thats fine. People dont have problems with that.

We are just saying comments about this card in general. Most of us on here, are saying that they cant seem to get a good enough reason to buy a AGP card, because we know that going to PCI-E now is a better option that staying with a AGP format for another 9 months or what not till Vista arrives.

Permabanned
Fine but, Im not going to buy middle range amd64 parts now no way, this PC is suffice and can out perform many, I need save cash for Vista not spend now, But £300 I can manage as I will get large chunk of that for 6800U and again large chunk of it back intime for Vista selling the limited edition bliss.

At end of day the thread is about this nice card, I dont think Gibbo and OCUK and Gainward are ripping off users making/selling AGP card, there is obv a market for it, some guys may have extreme overclocked bartons like me or amd64 on non pci-e mobos or even P4 high end chips.

Id like to read some positive input esp on mon/tue after users who bought cards post here, I ideally only came back here for HD section, I know how hot it can get in CPU or GPU sections lol.

If you had a crap aging PC when N40 was new and you waited it out on PCI-
E sure why would you ever go back to AGP, but for likes of me and others who waiting long time after paper launch esp in UK to track down 6800U's and paid over £400 its got to be used till its not doing a job for the individual any longer, I can honestly say I dont get any game issues, I dont know why some on new rigs do, but it will happen so this new card will extend thats time till Vista. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Lanz said:
You cant get a PCI-e card that out performs this for £100.
I said £100 less, not £100. £180 for a 7800GT isn't hard to find, like the XFX extreme edition one that was on here last week for £175. My point is that a Venice 3000+ and a 7600GT will be faster than this and a 2.4Ghz Northwood. That's all I'm saying.

Back
Top Bottom