• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gainward bring you a 512MB 7800 GT for AGP!!!!

Soldato
Chiribo said:
Am I like the only person that has noticed that everyone going on about the ugprades forgets the fact that a PSU upgrade would have to be in order too? People using AGP at the mo are using ATX 1.1 psu/mobo etc, from the pictures of the motherboards and the the gfx cards you can see that it requires you to have ATX 2.

So that's what another £50 on top?

Anyways... I want this card cheaper damnit >.<
humm im still using the same psu as i was back on my S478 AGP system

Caporegime
TALON1973 said:
lol that same argument comes up EVERY TIME for every card ever mentioned. a 7800 gt is almost top spec. you can't use that argument for every range of card from 6200 up. at some point it has to be worth it. and i'd say the 7800 gt is it

amdnv said:
Why is 512MB wasted, the 6800 Utra N40 AGP)by XFX had 512MB (came after the 256MB) at time it wasnt really needed but it was said upcomming games like BF2 and FEAR could benifit from it, now these games have came and went and we have seen benches showing a 9-17FPS gain on some games with 2 cards same make/speed but one with 256MB other with 512MB, even this is now old news so I assume newer games and newer bios/drivers again improve this, even the addition 9FPS could make a game thats stuttering, ok to play.

So IMO thats rubbish, Ive read it all about 2gig of ram needed or 512MB gpu ram needed., fact is they are becomming so, and a 7800GT is good enough to use it, the fact is you can pump the res up and not need to turn down settings now as of the extra ram.

You mis-understand what an extra 256MB of RAM does it seems. Sure, it'll help you use 4xAA 8xAF at crazy high resolutions and be able top store more texture detail, but then again the 7800GT isn't powerful enough to utilise it and those higher resolutions in modern and upcoming games.

A 512MB 7800GTX is only just about powerful enough.

By the way do you have links for the 512MB 6800 Ultra being 9-17fps faster simply because of having 512MB RAM please?

Last edited:
Permabanned
I fully understand what the extra ram does thats why everyone in irc thinks Im the so called "graphics card expert", but I simply can read and understand same as anyone can review sites etc etc.

You have just said same as I did about pumping up res + effects.

As to urls, It would be as simple for you to google as for me to look for them as it was long time ago, not even saying it was the 6800Ultra but sure it was, just like all recent (6months) reviews about how hard core gammers need 2gig of ram for FEAR and BF2 to run 100% with high res + all eyecandy, this was simular reviews again at time only a few games notable BF2 used the extra ram to full use, this was before newer drivers etc.

Why are you still in this thread, hating AGP cards, I didnt ask you about should I get AGP or PCI-E, Im here to talk about the new bliss, I wouldnt take anyone heres RIG free of charge to my door, I can build a new rig if i choose, but as i know a lot more about vista than most, I aint till then.

Last edited:
Associate
Lanz said:
a) people with top end Socket A or S478 who want some instant upgrade to play all the latest games on their aging pc's.
That's what I got and I'm getting one :p

I am planning to move to AM2 but frankly with DX10 cards coming soon-ish and DDR3 as well I think waiting isn't a bad plan...should hopefully give the AM2 chipsets a chance to work out any problems they have, especially for the nForce based chipsets which seem to only sort themselves out with the 'ultra' versions.

Hopefully by this time next year all will be well...

If anyone is interested I'll post a few benckmarks from Oblivion with my 6600GT and my new card (please turn up this weekend! :D ). Should be interesting to see the difference...

Caporegime
A_Darkfire said:
That's what I got and I'm getting one :p

I am planning to move to AM2 but frankly with DX10 cards coming soon-ish and DDR3 as well I think waiting isn't a bad plan...should hopefully give the AM2 chipsets a chance to work out any problems they have, especially for the nForce based chipsets which seem to only sort themselves out with the 'ultra' versions.

Hopefully by this time next year all will be well...

If anyone is interested I'll post a few benckmarks from Oblivion with my 6600GT and my new card (please turn up this weekend! :D ). Should be interesting to see the difference...

what cpu are you running?

Permabanned
I ran Obliv properly last night for 1st time, since no torrents uploading etc, but I do admit 1st time ever my gpu has struggled (OC'd 6800U agp @ 470/1200 max with bios mod 1.55v) it was 1280x1024 (non widescreen) and all max but AA off to let me turn on full HDR, it looked ok but at times I got sick feeling and sore eyes as of lag, it was ok running but not walking, I will again later try AA on full with no HDR, then I will try again on monday with this new Bliss card

Soldato
Use fraps, as you could be bias with your new card, as when you spend £300 on things, sometimes they `seem` better than they actually are :)

Permabanned
Fraps can actually make a card stutter in some games, doesnt Obliv have a console you can drop done and enter cmd for onscreen FPS ?.

Ive never been one to jack off over FPS apps, I can see if its laggy or not with my eyes :) 30FPS or less is bad ideally.

The £300 is far less than current card cost after 8months of tracking 1 down.

Soldato
When u get this new card on monday, load fraps, bump up all the quality sliders to max in Oblivion at 1280x1024, set HDR ON and just stand on a hill overlooking the main city with all its trees and rivers, and see what FPS its recording. That's all I wonna know.

Like this view:

Oblivion2006-03-2920-07-55-62.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
amdnv said:
I fully understand what the extra ram does thats why everyone in irc thinks Im the so called "graphics card expert", but I simply can read and understand same as anyone can review sites etc etc.

You have just said same as I did about pumping up res + effects.

As to urls, It would be as simple for you to google as for me to look for them as it was long time ago, not even saying it was the 6800Ultra but sure it was, just like all recent (6months) reviews about how hard core gammers need 2gig of ram for FEAR and BF2 to run 100% with high res + all eyecandy, this was simular reviews again at time only a few games notable BF2 used the extra ram to full use, this was before newer drivers etc.

Why are you still in this thread, hating AGP cards, I didnt ask you about should I get AGP or PCI-E, Im here to talk about the new bliss, I wouldnt take anyone heres RIG free of charge to my door, I can build a new rig if i choose, but as i know a lot more about vista than most, I aint till then.

Why was'nt it simple for you to google yourself then when you asked for some links?

Who cares if you know more about Vista than most of us? We dont care at all. Whats the point keep on going on about, Im going to wait till Vista etc. Ive had enough of hearing about Vista really.

We are still in this thread, as we want to see how many people are going to spend silly money on a AGP card. We dont hate AGP cards, we did have them once you know.

All I have done and some others have said that, in the whole it would be better off not spending £300 on a AGP card as there is no point in it. Where as you can get better performance by changing over to PCI-E instead of using a dated AXP and a AGP card.

Caporegime
amdnv said:
I can build a new rig if i choose, but as i know a lot more about vista than most, I aint till then.

Why don't you then?

Its the cheapest fastest option.

I don't hate AGP its long gone in my book I move on.This is the sensible option.

You don't know more about vista than me or a lot of other people in these forums who have remarked about sensible options and speed gains over buying old technology.

If you want to wait for Vista wait.
And if you want a faster PC for less outlay going the pci-e route don't wait.

But just because people don't agree with you,and quite frankly why should they, accuse people and denounce them about there lack of knowledge about pc hardware and future operating systems.

The mere fact that they would choose the pci-e upgrade path shows that they clearly know more about pc hardware than you :)

Permabanned
ZZZZZ :p Start new thread then plz

I aint denounced anyone, only had dig at ones being so bold as to try tell others to ditch theire rigs and build new ones, why dont you mail Gibbo and Gainward while your at it and tell them you feel they are ripping us off selling agp card ?

You obv dont read websites or the quotes I posted about agp still outselling pci-e.

I would accept your advise if the thread was someone asking for your opinion on "should I buy AGP or PCI-E" but this topic aint.

So lets drop this before its gets out of hand plz, GPU threads are the worste for that.

Look at every one of my posts in threads for gpu/optical and HDD sections, they allare answers to help required, not telling them to dump Pc or parts of Pc like HDd or GPU's.

Peace :)

Last edited:
Permabanned
ON Topic, look here : http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30502

Is this a typo ?

" This card's magic is that it actually has G71, Geforce 7800 GT PCIe core bridged down to AGP. It has G70 core with full 20 pipelines that worked at 425 MHz and famous BR2 chip managed to bridge the card down to AGP "

I imagine its G70, but they say G70 and then G71 :confused:

Caporegime
amdnv said:
ZZZZZ :p Start new thread then plz

I aint denounced anyone, only had dig at ones being so bold as to try tell others to ditch theire rigs and build new ones, why dont you mail Gibbo and Gainward while your at it and tell them you feel they are ripping us off selling agp card ?

You obv dont read websites or the quotes I posted about agp still outselling pci-e.

I would accept your advise if the thread was someone asking for your opinion on "should I buy AGP or PCI-E" but this topic aint.

So lets drop this before its gets out of hand plz, GPU threads are the worste for that.

Look at every one of my posts in threads for gpu/optical and HDD sections, they allare answers to help required, not telling them to dump Pc or parts of Pc like HDd or GPU's.

Peace :)

There are many people in this thread that have asked for advice about buying this card and upgrading their gfx.

Some have asked :

"should I buy this card or would it be better to get a new mobo for example?"

People have answered those questions.

This is not being bold this is offering sound advice.The general feeling is that people want the fastest possible performance for the least outlay.

Thats why they have done their sums and worked out it may be better for them to get a 7900 GT and new mobo.(more performance for less FACT)

No one has told people to ditch their current systems.
They have discussed about the possible alternatives to buying this card.

I don't think that the selling of this card is ripping people off at all.And no one has suggested this.

Its an option
Just like upgrading other components is an option. ;)

Last edited:
Caporegime
At the end of the day its up to you, you could get Gainwards 7800 GT on AGP, or the other option is to go PCI-E and get a faster card, new PCI-E mobo etc... for about the same price, its just another option as said. :)

The way i see it is though, the Gainwards worthless, when you do come to sell you wont get anywhere near what you paid for it, as as i said above you can already get a new mobo, faster card etc... for about the same price, thats now, so the £290 is already wiped out, but its up to you at the end of the day as said, but i cant see why not going PCI-E now would make a difference, apart from you would have a faster graphics card, your gona spend about the same amount of money, but you'll have a faster card as said. :)

Permabanned
I woudnt want a PC built for £300 so thats not going happen, Ive said this before, Fact is the amd64's I build every week are £600 inparts approx, and dont beat mines in gamming as the gpu is going to be the most expensive part from me when I and only I decide its time to build, added to fact CPU will prob be as costly as GPU for me. :)

Now can we move on please.

egt

egt

Associate
amdnv, if i were you i'd try the 7800GS out and if you're happy then thats all that matters...no matter what anyone else thinks. I also believe the re-sale value will be high because OCUK forum members do not represent the big wide world of PC owners, there's will still be a lot of AGP motherboards out there!

If you aren't impressed with the card then get a refund and do a PCI-E upgrade as suggested, it's as easy as that ;)

Caporegime
amdnv said:
I woudnt want a PC built for £300 so thats not going happen, Ive said this before, Fact is the amd64's I build every week are £600 inparts approx, and dont beat mines in gamming as the gpu is going to be the most expensive part from me when I and only I decide its time to build, added to fact CPU will prob be as costly as GPU for me. :)

Now can we move on please.

sorry you have lost me?

I don't understand you?

please explain what you mean?

A new 7900 GT and mobo is not a new pc.Its two new components.

People have The cpu/ram.hadrdrive/case/ etc... already in place.

Permabanned
TY, I dont listen to them anyhow, I aint building new rig as I said many times, it will be better than my 6800U which has done well since launch, it had a longer life than any new cards will in terms of flagship model and use.

:)

They seem to forget I see new rigs nearly daily but not many customers op for £400-600 GPU's.

Easy, I aint going to explain myself to you ok so drop it, Ive looked back over posts and you and 1 other seem to like to pester a newbie once you decide on one, so as this is my 2nd time around here after returning from staying in USA, please find someone else to pester.

Caporegime
amdnv said:
TY, I dont listen to them anyhow, I aint building new rig as I said many times, it will be better than my 6800U which has done well since launch, it had a longer life than any new cards will in terms of flagship model and use.

:)

They seem to forget I see new rigs nearly daily but not many customers op for £400-600 GPU's.

Point being? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom