• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gainward bring you a 512MB 7800 GT for AGP!!!!

egt

egt

Associate
amdnv said:
egt, I just seen a Gainward 6800Ultra agp (ok faster clocked) new for £450 lol, on a very famous e-tailer in UK :eek:

Yeah, i'd imagine brand new 6800 Ultra's are quite rare now, hence the high price.

Hope you're happy with your new card, anyway :)

Soldato
ok just spoke to someone who works for a nvidia board partner and he said that his company are planning to pull out a stronger agp lineup because there is more profit in agp cards than there is in pci-e cards. hehe gonna wait and see what comes out but im guessing its 7900 based.

Permabanned
TY :) , and after trying to google for more info on this card, I see a nice flameware also on the Futuremark forums, but the guys telling others to not waste cash on agp are getting ass kicked lol, one of defendants has a fast p4 rig and is not ready to awap out yet.

I still aint found out why The Inquirer says G71 then G70, its about the most info I can get so far.

Cyber, I did mention agp sales v pci-e and 17% only to pci-e while ago (dont know what % is now) open to input, but If a 7900 comes out, I will punt this on E-Gay same as my 6800U is going to be on Sunday next week after this arrives on Monday, as I see ultras still new @ £450 and that same model was at £225 with 21hours left on bidding, I assume I can get good cash esp as under warrenty still and fitted with a NV Silencer 5 rev 3 1month ago and it runs 470/1200 (can do more but aritfacts esp on ram @ 1250 as no hardware volts mod done).

Last edited:
Permabanned
Ok TY, after looking closer at pic I see 7800GT core and I know thats 110nm, but wasnt sure as no writing on it thats normally saying size at very bottom, the site musta made typo. :p

Associate
Having just read this thread, I am a little confused by some of the advice being dished out regarding spending £280 on an AGP graphics card.

Most people seem to advise ditching AGP and getting a pci-e motherboard, but I dont see how this is cheaper for people with athlon xp's and intel northwood processors???

Surely the 7800gs is a good upgrade for such users who would have to replace the motherboard, graphics card and CPU in order to upgrade to pci-e?

Or am I mistaken on this matter?

Associate
NightSt@lk3r said:
humm im still using the same psu as i was back on my S478 AGP system

Well looking at your sig you already have an atx 2.2 psu so that would be why. The new PCI-E cards have their own pci-e power connectors by the looks of it, which are 6 pin I think not the regular 4 you get access to on a regular atx 1 psu. Unless someone throws in some adapters....

So I'd like to believe that I still stand correct on the fact that everyone going on about upgrades from Socket A/478 are forgeting the fact that people are more than likely to have a regular atx1 psu. Ergo +£50 on top of the rest of the upgrade.

Caporegime
flashdjdan said:
Most people seem to advise ditching AGP and getting a pci-e motherboard, but I dont see how this is cheaper for people with athlon xp's and intel northwood processors???

Surely the 7800gs is a good upgrade for such users who would have to replace the motherboard, graphics card and CPU in order to upgrade to pci-e?

Or am I mistaken on this matter?

There are pci-e mobo's that are s478.

Socket A users are not as lucky.

Associate
All I can find is an asrock pci-e plus AGP micro-atx motherboard with only 2 slots for RAM, dont really fancy replacing my P4C800E-DLX with that!!!!

edit: Just found the MSI S478 Intel 915GM MATX, but it is £120

surely that is not the best (cheapest) upgrade path for AGP users??

Last edited:
Associate
easyrider said:
there is an asus mobo that I have mentione in this thread

ASUS P4GPL-X i915PL S478 PCIe 2xDDR GLAN 4xSATA IDE

That looks like a reasonable board for the money, but I am put off by it only having 2 slots for RAM. It does work out cheaper getting that board and a PCI-e 7800GT though I guess

Caporegime
flashdjdan said:
That looks like a reasonable board for the money, but I am put off by it only having 2 slots for RAM. It does work out cheaper getting that board and a PCI-e 7800GT though I guess

2 slots is fine just enough for 2gig of ram! :D

Back
Top Bottom