Game of Thrones prequel House of the Dragon

Argh I found it terribly frustrating for ‘Team Rhynara’ (sp?):

My understanding of what happened was that the King didn’t change his mind at all… he thought he was talking to Rhynara and was referencing the dream of the old King Aegon, not his son, and was actually expressing his intention for Rhynara to be king.

Hrrrrrghn!!

Episode was good. Always fun to have a bit of dragon action :)

I agree that the plot is more one dimensional that GoT - less plot lines - but I think of it as just being ‘different’ in that regard. A ‘side story’ of sorts.

This is true but if you remember they ended up with too many story lines and ended up ditching some of them. There's one very entertaining and enthralling story, if this kind of political/familial intgrigue is your thing then HoD does one thing brilliantly. If you look at RoP there's several arcs and they're all crap.

I know which I prefer.

Really enjoyed the last 2 episodes, though its still not at GOT levels of plot lines yet. Its lacking a Little Finger though I think they are trying with Larys Strong. Hopefully it gets more depth in the next series.

Larys Strong is completely unlikable though and his character is totally underdeveloped.

I think where the writing in Game of Thrones was so great, is that whilst there were some dastardly characters, they mostly all had something sort of likable about them.

By all accounts this is very poor and very boring, compared to early Game of Thrones.

Last edited:
Anyone else find it funny that Alicent tried using 'The queen that never was' speech to try and convince Rhaenys which is basically the exact thing they're doing to Rhaenyra? Like how did you think that was going to work.

Larys Strong is completely unlikable though and his character is totally underdeveloped.

I think where the writing in Game of Thrones was so great, is that whilst there were some dastardly characters, they mostly all had something sort of likable about them.

By all accounts this is very poor and very boring, compared to early Game of Thrones.

Whilst I like the show a lot, I have to agree about the characters being severely underdeveloped which is strange considering how the scope of the show has been narrowed when compared to GoT.

I think the time skips haven't done it much good either. It's a bit of a cheap way to force the characters to develop off screen but it's a bad sell I feel. They could have easily expanded and developed the roster of characters each season and done a time skip at the start of each new one instead of cramming it all into one.

Who knows though. It might need another season to really pull itself together and even if it didn't I'm such a huge fan of the source material that I don't think I'd mind either way. I just want more of that world and even as the show is at the moment, I'd take that over nothing.

Last edited:
Vague book / ep10 spoiler

Looks like we will get a fairly big death before the end of the season then, judging by that shot of Vhagar at Storm's end

@Beasty Which book is this series inspired by, I've only read the main series none of the Egg and Dunk or Encyclopaedia's.

It's based on Fire and Blood which is GRRMs Silmarillion of sorts. Basically an anthology of Targaryen rule since the conquest. It's a good read, but only if you're already invested in the source material. It's written from the perspective of a Maester and it's quite cleverly written in parts, or not in some cases eg. wine spills on areas of the text that GRRM isn't prepared to reveal the lore on just yet.
He has a 'Part II' planned, but he's said that won't get touched until WoW is out so could be a while yet.

They are reportedly working on a Dunk and Egg series though. If you haven't read those I would highly recommend. A lot more playful then the original series and very easy to get through.

Last edited:
Rhaenys maybe would not have been a good choice for queen... just casually killing thousands of people at the end, I was expecting something to happen but not that... Almost ruined a good episode, no real reason for it, the ending was just spectacle.

Lot's of good stuff in the episode though...

Last edited:
Damn dont wanna live in Kings landing.... Literally no one gives a ****about parking their dragon on in under and over you and crushing everyone in the process.

I found that utterly strange tbh.

Damn dont wanna live in Kings landing.... Literally no one gives a ****about parking their dragon on in under and over you and crushing everyone in the process.

They are big **** dragons. What's a peasant going to do? And that is why the Targaryens have ruled the seven kingdoms for centuries. Nobody can fight against dragons. They do what they want and only fight between them as to who is the next King. Robert only got the throne in GOT because there werent any dragons left.

Reactions: Kyo

Except I barely saw a body, no blood, no guts, no arms, legs or anything, considering there were 1000s in that place. As for the flying through the door, that was laughable as we saw scenes wher a few knights and peasants were scrambling through, no wider than some french doors and yet a big * OFF dragon flies through it. CGI scaling is always jarring.

I think HOTD is a good 6.5/10 so far, it has gotten much better later but still, I don't really care about characters in particular unlike GOT in the first season. But Dragons are awesome and I pretty much just want to see Dragons vs Dragons in the last episode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rhaenys maybe would not have been a good choice for queen... just casually killing thousands of people at the end, I was expecting something to happen but not that... Almost ruined a good episode, no real reason for it, the ending was just spectacle.

Lot's of good stuff in the episode though...

It was half assed. They intended it to be seen as a declaration of war during the coronation, i.e. the realm now knows that Aegon's claim is contested. If Rhaenys had just skipped without a spectacle then the people would have assumed a successful and uncontested coronation.

It should have either been a silent escape, or she should have put the whole place on fire (and they figure out a way to have the main Greens survive, maybe a couple of them suffer burns, but have all the peasants die). That would have upped the stakes.

Was the latest episode stupidly dark for anyone else?

I feel like HoD misses the little funny/touching moments that GoT had, it is all very bleak and depressing.

It's a faster paced show so there's very little room for those as the focus has been on the defining moments over a couple of decades. I'm assuming we're done with time jumps for the rest of the series, there may be room for these now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom