Game of Thrones prequel House of the Dragon

Caporegime
This one reads like House of the Dragaon plot...

"In 334, Li Xiong grew ill from an infected head wound, which then spread to other wounds that he had suffered over the years over his body. His body was said to be causing such a great stench that his sons avoided him, but Li Ban cared for him day and night. Li Xiong died in summer 334 and was succeeded by Li Ban. However, as Li Xiang had predicted, Li Xiong's sons were unhappy that they had been passed over. Two of them, Li Yue (李越) and his younger brother Li Qi, conspired against Li Ban."..." Li Yue assassinated Li Ban and his older brother Li Du (李都), and made Li Qi emperor, after forging an edict from Empress Dowager Ren accusing Li Ban of crimes."

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yes, it's fantasy. But Martin writes in a way that is based on real history, his aim is always to portray how real people would behave in a world with dragons and magic. Look at how Jamie, whose heroism saves Kings Landing, is known and denigrated as "kingslayer" ever after.

I think you give too much credit to his writing. Yes its "real" and "gritty" but I never thought it was anywhere close to true to life about how people would behave. I just enjoyed it for what t was, a fantasy world.

Caporegime
"In 334, Li Xiong grew ill from an infected head wound, which then spread to other wounds that he had suffered over the years over his body. His body was said to be causing such a great stench that his sons avoided him, but Li Ban cared for him day and night. Li Xiong died in summer 334 and was succeeded by Li Ban. However, as Li Xiang had predicted, Li Xiong's sons were unhappy that they had been passed over. Two of them, Li Yue (李越) and his younger brother Li Qi, conspired against Li Ban."..." Li Yue assassinated Li Ban and his older brother Li Du (李都), and made Li Qi emperor, after forging an edict from Empress Dowager Ren accusing Li Ban of crimes."

And four years later:

"He then forged a letter from his brother-in-law Ren Diao (任調) stating that Li Qi was planning to execute Li Shou, and he showed the letter to his soldiers. The soldiers believed him, and they then made a surprise attack on Chengdu, catching Li Qi unprepared. Li Shou's heir apparent Li Shi, an officer in the capital guards, opened the city gates and welcomed Li Shou in. Li Shou arrested Li Yue and other officials whom Li Qi trusted and forced Li Qi to order their execution. He then forged an edict from Empress Dowager Ren deposing Li Qi and demoting him to the title Duke of Qiongdu. Li Shou, after some hesitation about whether to take the throne or whether to become a Jin vassal, eventually took the throne and changed the name of the state to Han, showing a break from Li Xiong's regime.

Li Qi, depressed about being a duke of a small county, committed suicide later in 338."

(source)

Man, I need to read me some Chinese history.

Caporegime
I think you give too much credit to his writing. Yes its "real" and "gritty" but I never thought it was anywhere close to true to life about how people would behave. I just enjoyed it for what t was, a fantasy world.

I'm not saying he always gets it right, but it's what he's trying to achieve. The books are better at it than the shows (in general, I've not read Fire and Blood) not least because they get more time to explain the culture and decisions.

Caporegime
And four years later:

"He then forged a letter from his brother-in-law Ren Diao (任調) stating that Li Qi was planning to execute Li Shou, and he showed the letter to his soldiers. The soldiers believed him, and they then made a surprise attack on Chengdu, catching Li Qi unprepared. Li Shou's heir apparent Li Shi, an officer in the capital guards, opened the city gates and welcomed Li Shou in. Li Shou arrested Li Yue and other officials whom Li Qi trusted and forced Li Qi to order their execution. He then forged an edict from Empress Dowager Ren deposing Li Qi and demoting him to the title Duke of Qiongdu. Li Shou, after some hesitation about whether to take the throne or whether to become a Jin vassal, eventually took the throne and changed the name of the state to Han, showing a break from Li Xiong's regime.

Li Qi, depressed about being a duke of a small county, committed suicide later in 338."

(source)

Man, I need to read me some Chinese history.

I studied it briefly in school (I did like 2 months of this), and I found it infinitely interesting with all the drama like you see here. Because of all the plots and twists it was quite easy to remember and I had 97% in an exam (like a half term thing), before i left.

Then I remember studying Henry IV and whatnot, it's not really the same compared to the Chinese side lol My history teacher was going "don't you think this is great? (the British) but i thought it was very dull...compared to what i was used to, every new history lesson we learned about another murder plot!

Last edited:
Soldato
so wasn’t exactly enjoying the show for the first 5 episodes, felt it was a bit boring and didn’t really like any of the characters / disjointed.

So skipped watching it, thought it might be the weekly watching that is ruining it for me as prefer a binge watch Netflix style usually.

And boy was I right, watched 4 episodes last night and was fantastic. The kings performances at the dinner table and up until his end were brilliant. Everything feels a lot more cohesive and flowing nicely.

Not sure if the first few episodes were just bad, or was the weekly watching wasn’t working for me but the episodes I watched last night were all brilliant.

Associate
so wasn’t exactly enjoying the show for the first 5 episodes, felt it was a bit boring and didn’t really like any of the characters / disjointed.

So skipped watching it, thought it might be the weekly watching that is ruining it for me as prefer a binge watch Netflix style usually.

And boy was I right, watched 4 episodes last night and was fantastic. The kings performances at the dinner table and up until his end were brilliant. Everything feels a lot more cohesive and flowing nicely.

Not sure if the first few episodes were just bad, or was the weekly watching wasn’t working for me but the episodes I watched last night were all brilliant.

I don't think the time skips worked with weekly episodes. I understand why they had them in the show in order to progress the storyline, I just don't think it worked and made the characters feel less understandable. It also made zero sense to have certain actors play the same character regardless of the time skips. Apart from Paddy Considine of course, who nailed it with the acting and make up!

Back
Top Bottom