Game of Thrones prequel House of the Dragon

Caporegime
Was the latest episode stupidly dark for anyone else?

I feel like HoD misses the little funny/touching moments that GoT had, it is all very bleak and depressing.

Absolutely. The whole show has zero charisma or wit. Its one of the bleakest things ive ever watched. Its like the writers forgot about putting some light relief into it.

Caporegime
Could have done without the confrontation at the end. Ending the episode with the coronation would have been epic.

Not really sure of her intent. Like, if it was a show of force (ie she "had" them, but showed mercy), and she hopes that show of strength will mean favourable things from the crown then i guess that makes sense.

If she is just declaring war on them and didnt take the opportunity to kill them, i will be sorely dissatisfied.

Or was it the dragon that got cold feet?

Caporegime
Not really sure of her intent. Like, if it was a show of force (ie she "had" them, but showed mercy), and she hopes that show of strength will mean favourable things from the crown then i guess that makes sense.

If she is just declaring war on them and didnt take the opportunity to kill them, i will be sorely dissatisfied.

Or was it the dragon that got cold feet?

To me i think she was showing them that she could have killed them all right there and then but because of the Queen's little talk with her, she decided to take pity and not kill them. I bet money she will regret that later.

Caporegime
To me i think she was showing them that she could have killed them all right there and then but because of the Queen's little talk with her, she decided to take pity and not kill them. I bet money she will regret that later.

That is what i am hoping is the case. Anything else would be weird.

Permabanned
It was half assed. They intended it to be seen as a declaration of war during the coronation, i.e. the realm now knows that Aegon's claim is contested. If Rhaenys had just skipped without a spectacle then the people would have assumed a successful and uncontested coronation.

It should have either been a silent escape, or she should have put the whole place on fire (and they figure out a way to have the main Greens survive, maybe a couple of them suffer burns, but have all the peasants die). That would have upped the stakes.
Agreed, she's already killed thousands of the common folk which granted, aren't exactly valued but even so, at that point she should have been commited and torched them, maybe they couldn't think of a good excuse for the main greens to survive that would make sense.

Caporegime
Agreed, she's already killed thousands of the common folk which granted, aren't exactly valued but even so, at that point she should have been commited and torched them, maybe they couldn't think of a good excuse for the main greens to survive that would make sense.

But like the writers being so bad, that they couldnt think up a coherent way of Daemon defeating the crab king bloke so wrote something absolutely ridiculous.

Soldato
Showing mercy being a huge weakness that leads to widespread ramifications is a theme in the series so it wouldn't surprise me.
But like the writers being so bad, that they couldnt think up a coherent way of Daemon defeating the crab king bloke so wrote something absolutely ridiculous.

This has been the only real low point of the series for me. Was truly awful.

Soldato
it was particularly bad. What is annoying about it, is that there were a million ways they could have done it better.
It was as if they wanted an important plot point that shows off how skilled Daemon is as a fighter but gave up half way through and just said '**** it, have him Rambo it'.

Caporegime
It was as if they wanted an important plot point that shows off how skilled Daemon is as a fighter but gave up half way through and just said '**** it, have him Rambo it'.

"Then just get the Crab King guy who has been outsmarting them this entire time, to send his entire army out of the caves and into danger, just to pick up one wounded bloke"

My dog could have written a better scene.

Last edited:

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
When all those people walking into that building i had a thought that won't it be cool if a dragon goes in and burns everyone, just like in GoT when Ceci blew up the building.

It almost happened and should have...the showrunner chickened out.
That's what I thought too but it be anti climax I supposed and a bit of a cop out.

Last edited:
Caporegime
When all those people walking into that building i had a thought that won't it be cool if a dragon goes in and burns everyone, just like in GoT when Ceci blew up the building.

It almost happened and should have...the showrunner chickened out.

The program would finish at the end of season 1 though. It would be the equivalent of in the original GOT Sean Bean killing all the Lannisters.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Except that she knows its a war now and will ahve to face them on dragons and either get killed or kill them.

Doesn't mean she's going to straight up murder her nephew in cold blood. Historically, by the way, that sort of stuff almost never happened. Apart from anything else nobility is based on the premise of the value of their blood, casually murdering nobles devalues the lives of all so there were strong cultural taboos against doing so in almost all feudal cultures throughout history. The behaviour of the Hand in straight up killing important nobles was far less realistic.

Caporegime
Doesn't mean she's going to straight up murder her nephew in cold blood. Historically, by the way, that sort of stuff almost never happened. Apart from anything else nobility is based on the premise of the value of their blood, casually murdering nobles devalues the lives of all so there were strong cultural taboos against doing so in almost all feudal cultures throughout history. The behaviour of the Hand in straight up killing important nobles was far less realistic.

My mind went immediately to my vague memory of Chinese history where it happened quite often, might be an exception but I just found this page and it reads much like GoT!

Some of those makes gruesome read, may be the showrunner here will take notes....

There is a wiki page where all the emperors was murdered too, it's quite a list!

Last edited:
Caporegime

Its a fantasy book. Historically people didnt fight for several hours in full armour and with dragons. Pretty much all of GOT has been about killing your nieces/nephews/cousins.

Caporegime
Its a fantasy book. Historically people didnt fight for several hours in full armour and with dragons. Pretty much all of GOT has been about killing your nieces/nephews/cousins.

Yes, it's fantasy. But Martin writes in a way that is based on real history, his aim is always to portray how real people would behave in a world with dragons and magic. Look at how Jamie, whose heroism saves Kings Landing, is known and denigrated as "kingslayer" ever after.

Back
Top Bottom