Game of Thrones prequel House of the Dragon

Bit of a slow start to s2, can't help but think they could've done this episode as the last one of s1, granted I wasn't expecting the last 10 minutes and that came with a shock.
As someone who had sort-of forgotten what had happened in S1, and has not read the books I was thoroughly confused. Were they aiming for a 1h30 opener and had to trim it down to 1hr or something? :confused: Because..

Last I heard they were off to kill the older son with an eye patch, then they were choosing a baby? :confused: Wuuhh? And a bit of explanation about why they were able to walk into the throne room without anyone batting an eyelid would have been nice

Last edited:
As someone who had sort-of forgotten what had happened in S1, and has not read the books I was thoroughly confused. Were they aiming for a 1h30 opener and had to trim it down to 1hr or something? :confused: Because..

Last I heard they were off to kill the older son with an eye patch, then they were choosing a baby? :confused: Wuuhh? And a bit of explanation about why they were able to walk into the throne room without anyone batting an eyelid would have been nice

The man with the dog was a palace rat catcher who if you looked for him you could see him wandering the castle throughout the episode so he walking with traps at night wouldn't look out of the ordinary. They couldn't find Aegon so they went for the 'son' they could find.

Can someone explain

Which Targaryen sibiling was killed? I thought they only had 1 kid? Who was the other one that the lady whisked away?

Can someone explain

Which Targaryen sibiling was killed? I thought they only had 1 kid? Who was the other one that the lady whisked away?

Another son, the whole concept in the book is 'A son for a son' they wanted to kill Aemond, But they came upon Halaena who is the Queen on the Green side, married to Aegon the King, and their children a boy and a girl. So they choose her son who is Jaehaerys Targaryen. In the books it's much more brutal and GRRM'ish, they force her to choose and she offers herself and they refuse. They then chop the head off the kid. There's also rape etc, because GRRM... In the books there's a third child present if I recall, a younger son who the Queen actually ends up choosing to die, but they go with the one they do. All in all, absolutely horrific scenes to read, and whilst the show didn't do it justice in the choosing of the child, the reaction of the mother etc, also glad they didn't show the sheer brutality in the books.

@Throrik Thanks for the explanation i didnt realise this was another GRRM book as well. Thought it was a spin off the show runners made up.

Last edited:
@Throrik Thanks for the explanation i didnt realise this was another GRRM book as well. Thought it was a spin off the show runners made up.

It's based off of Fire and Blood which isn't a book as such, in that it's a linear story. It's a 'scholarly treatise written by "Archmaester Gyldayn" and is written from his perspective, and his sources - so interestingly it's not considered to be 100% true, as it has his bias. It's also only based off of a small part of the book, and extended as expected, so lots of things are which are in the book in slightly different ways, other things are missed and some are added.

I watched a S1 recap before going into S2 which helped. I thought it was a good opening episode, looking forward to more. It was cool seeing the north and the wall again.

I totally forgot they used the same opening music as GoT, for some reason thought it was different.

Thought it was a good opener. Can see a lot of book fans not being happy about the Blood and Cheese scene but tbh, having not read about it prior, it was grim enough. To the point the Mrs didn't want to watch any more episodes (although I think she's calmed down a bit now!).

Good episode. Looking forward to the rest although I should have watched some sort of recap of S1 first.
I started to watch the new episode then decided to go back and watch Season 1 again as I couldn’t recall much bar the ending of the last episode of season 1.

Actually like season 1 more in second viewing.

if people paid attention they wouldn't need an episode "explained" to them

idiocracy be real..

I've actually seen comments around the web from people asking why the men with the boxes and the dog were allowed to roam around....
People are watching their phones 100% and just glancing at the screen to be relevant.

maybe thats what these episode explained videos are for, people who want to be relevant and pretend they watched something, so they can talk about it with others.

now it all makes sense

Last edited:
Or… it’s been a couple years since the last series ended and people’s memories of who’s who is a bit faded?
Alt shift x makes excellent videos and often goes into the history of the families and setting too.
Many books have an appendix, this is no different.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom