1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Games that had it, but lost it!

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Ricochet J, Oct 17, 2006.

1. ne0

Gangster

I get where you're coming from but I still really enjoy Crysis 3 even though yeah it was made with consoles in mind which is a shame. Crysis 2 has not aged well btw....

2. ne0

Gangster

I'm playing BS1 again on my tablet atm. Such amazing and fond memories and it's still as immersive as ever. The music is just spectacular too.

3. .Lethal

Soldato

End of Wraith IMO when Dungeon Finder was introduced, the start of the big social and overall decline of WoW.
    Cata made things worse with terrible raids (TotFW final boss was overtuned. BWD, BoT, DS were awful), the Tol Barad mess, LFR yet it's PvP was amazing and the start of some big PvP streamers getting big on Twitch and Firelands had a good heroic Rag fight along with Reforging being introduced. Too much focus was put on Kalimdor and EK being redone which only really benefited levelers, besides allowing us to fly in these zones (which reduced social interaction even more and hindered world pvp).
    MoP had a lot of good things inc Challenge Modes, huge step up in visual graphics, Garrosh storyline, PvP continued to be good, ToT was an awesome raid, so was SoO before it got stale due to raiding it for over a year. The legendary cloak chain and first tier raids weren't great though. Pet battle's were hit/miss depending if it was your thing.

4. Radox-0

Mobster

Supreme commander 2. Not terrible, but for me at least, the first one + forged alliance were much better games.

5. agnes

Capodecina

Ghost Recon...

What a shame.

6. Random Guy Esq.

Mobster

Total War series. I know they've a lot more fans now, so I guess I'm in the minority. But I just find them to be very arcadey these days. OPed heroes, over-too-quickly battles won by buffs and abilities rather than tactics, really awful siege battles, and monetised to ****. If it were just the Warhammer games, you could forgive it maybe. But the historical titles are following some of the same trends now. Disappointing.

7. Ryan-3

Sgarrista

Absolutely this. I tried the three kingdoms game and it is atrocious. One/two character(s) with these specials skills and about 6 units on either side is like some epic battle now.

8. Gengar

Gangster

Second the Ghost Recon series.
    And maybe Rainbow Six series diversion from tactical to more casual multiplayer focused.

The problem with alot of games is they follow the apparent trend for open world fuzzy objective based game play. Alot of the time it is an excuse to not bother about a proper mission based game nowadays.
    Seems every game needs a "hub" world nowadays :(

9. Pighardia

Capodecina

Dragon Age Origins - one of the best RPGs ever made.
    Dragon Age 2 - pathetic in comparison
    Dragon Age 3 - a bit better but still poor.

Mass Effect is a similar story but 2 is excellent.

In fact, thinking about it, Bioware haven't made a really good game since Mass Effect 2 imo. How sad. Since then it goes DA2, ME3, DA Inquisition, ME Andromeda, Anthem.

Wow! Best I can say about that rollcall of mediocrity is DA Inquisition at least had some good ideas and was slightly above average at points, even if the combat is atrocious.

10. cheesyboy

Capodecina

FEAR
    Dead Rising

11. ci_newman

Sgarrista

What I would give for a faithful remake of Settlers :( It was one of my favourites in the 90s.

12. .Lethal

Soldato

The Last of Us Part II

Too soon?

;)

13. Junglist

Soldato

Does DayZ count? I had such a good time playing the A2 MOD that I thought the full release would be good.

Utter trash.

14. TNA

Capodecina

Agreed, except for me I did not enjoy ME2 that much, found it disappointing relative to the original. They took a wrong turn and dumped it down by removing rpg and adding more action. Also story was no way near as strong. The original had an awesome story. Would love to see a remake but with more rpg and more exploration. Imagine if exploring yielded extra cool armour, guns etc. Like Witcher 3 for example.

Not for me. I did not buy and likely never will. What a letdown.

15. Smokey Deza

Wise Guy

16. marti996

Gangster

Total war hasn’t been the same for me since the botched launch of Rome 2. I’ve enjoyed the warhammer games since but they just aren’t the same.

I’d echo anyone who said C&C also they were great but turned stale.

alas.. nothing’s forever

17. Noxia

Soldato

Unreal Tournament, I mean that literally was lost.

18. Naff8000

Wise Guy

Wow
    Diablo
    Borderlands 3 is good shoot-em-up wise but the story and characters are awful compared to 2.
    Mass Effect
    Command and Conquer
    Half the games that have been sold to EA
    Game of Thrones :p

19. Smokey Deza

Wise Guy

Pretty much agree with everything in this thread. Played da origins a few months back and still as fun as I remember. Didn't bother with the expansion though.

20. One Vision

Wise Guy

Battlefield 2 after this game EA lost the plot.