Games you're playing, and games...

Soldato
Any recommendations for good, tight single player games that aren’t sprawling open worlds? That aren’t TLoU…

Suppose it depends on what you like?

My most recent completed games have been TLOU parts 1 & 2 but I’ve also fairly recently played various other titles like Sekiro, Returnal, Demon’s Souls, Sackboy, Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart, Deathloop, Prodeus, GoW Ragnarok, Dead Space and Kena.

All are good single player games in their own right. Varying styles of games but enjoyable if you haven’t played them before. I’d avoid Returnal, Demon’s Souls and Sekiro if your not OK with Roguelike/Soulsborne type games, though.

Last edited:
Associate
Suppose it depends on what you like?

My most recent completed games have been TLOU parts 1 & 2 but I’ve also fairly recently played various other titles like Sekiro, Returnal, Demon’s Souls, Sackboy, Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart, Deathloop, Prodeus, GoW Ragnarok, Dead Space and Kena.

All are good single player games in their own right. Varying styles of games but enjoyable if you haven’t played them before. I’d avoid Returnal, Demon’s Souls and Sekiro if your not OK with Roguelike/Soulsborne type games, though.

Yeah I’m not really into the soulslike games, just seem too frustrating for my liking. Forgot i have ratchet downloaded so will give that a play soon. I still haven’t finished the first GoW so i should probably get on that too.

Associate
As I said in another thread, thinking about treating myself to a PS5 next month- what PS5 titles are "must plays"? I'm normally a pretty standard gamer into CoD, Fifa, Battlefield etc but am happy to try anything as long as it's not immensley difficult or insanely long winded!

What are some good ones to start off with, been out the game for a while so no idea what's good and what's not :)

Last edited:
Associate
As I said in another thread, thinking about treating myself to a PS5 next month- what PS5 titles are "must plays"? I'm normally a pretty standard gamer into CoD, Fifa, Battlefield etc but am happy to try anything as long as it's not immensley difficult or insanely long winded!

What are some good ones to start off with, been out the game for a while so no idea what's good and what's not :)
Have you got a PC/Xbox currently? They're are some really great multi-platform games that are also worth considering as well in addition to the PS5 titles.

For me, the PS5 titles that are 'must plays' are:
  1. Astros Playroom (genuinely can't express how fun this game is and a great intro to the controller)
  2. Horizon Forbidden West (provided you've played Zero Dawn)
  3. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (I don't think it matters if you've not played any previous Ratchet games)
  4. Spiderman & Miles Morales (more so worth playing as Spiderman 2 is out shortly. MM is a short game at 6 hours - Spiderman is a little longer!)
  5. The Last of Us Part 1 (may have already played the PS3 and PS4 version - but if not, it's unbelievable. I played it on PS3, skipped the PS4 remaster and picked this up and it's such a great story driven game).
  6. Ghost of Tsushima (came out on PS4 but plays so much better on PS5).
  7. God of War Ragnarok (provided you've played God of War 2017. I'm not the biggest GoW fan, enjoyed both games but personally for me I prefer the others in this list - all opinion though, a friend of mine adores GoW and Ragnarok is probably his favourite game)

And cross-platform:
  1. Dead Space (took me back to being 19 again and playing this game with my flatmates at uni, great remake)
  2. Elden Ring (took me about 5 hours to get it and then I quickly sank 60 hours in...)
  3. Star Wars: Jedi Survivor (if you can get through some of the performance quirks, it's a great story and builds on the first game so much)
There are loads of others, I'm sure people will recommend Returnal, Demon's Souls, FF7, Gran Turismo etc. but the above are the games that I've enjoyed the most on my PS5.

Associate
Have you got a PC/Xbox currently? They're are some really great multi-platform games that are also worth considering as well in addition to the PS5 titles.

For me, the PS5 titles that are 'must plays' are:
  1. Astros Playroom (genuinely can't express how fun this game is and a great intro to the controller)
  2. Horizon Forbidden West (provided you've played Zero Dawn)
  3. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (I don't think it matters if you've not played any previous Ratchet games)
  4. Spiderman & Miles Morales (more so worth playing as Spiderman 2 is out shortly. MM is a short game at 6 hours - Spiderman is a little longer!)
  5. The Last of Us Part 1 (may have already played the PS3 and PS4 version - but if not, it's unbelievable. I played it on PS3, skipped the PS4 remaster and picked this up and it's such a great story driven game).
  6. Ghost of Tsushima (came out on PS4 but plays so much better on PS5).
  7. God of War Ragnarok (provided you've played God of War 2017. I'm not the biggest GoW fan, enjoyed both games but personally for me I prefer the others in this list - all opinion though, a friend of mine adores GoW and Ragnarok is probably his favourite game)

And cross-platform:
  1. Dead Space (took me back to being 19 again and playing this game with my flatmates at uni, great remake)
  2. Elden Ring (took me about 5 hours to get it and then I quickly sank 60 hours in...)
  3. Star Wars: Jedi Survivor (if you can get through some of the performance quirks, it's a great story and builds on the first game so much)
There are loads of others, I'm sure people will recommend Returnal, Demon's Souls, FF7, Gran Turismo etc. but the above are the games that I've enjoyed the most on my PS5.
Blimey some of those never heard of!

Horizon is one I want to play albeit never played any of them previously, so best to start off with Zero Dawn then?

Last of Us I played about an hours worth years ago, but will have to get into that again for sure :)

Is Elden Ring difficult as such, that looks cool. Thanks for this! Ill have to catch up when I get the console and get into a game together :D

I got an Xbox 1 at the minute but it's on it's last legs

Caporegime
Huzzah, finally got round to playing Sackboy this summer holiday with the brats. Pleasantly surprised, it may even come a close second to Astro in terms of fun and collecting things.

Soldato
Sekiro is absolutey glorious, and ridiculously difficult! And I thought Bloodborne has hard, the combat in Sekiro is amazing and instantly gratifying though

Not even sure who bosses are as everyone seems like a boss! :cry: took hours to beat Hunter Enshin of Misen... Got an Ogre In Chains lined up next, just found some fire upgrades, proving tricky!

The whole resurrection, unseen aid thing I think I have a basic understanding, you can die, resurrect so 'get another go' if you die again you lose half of your sen and gained experience, dependent in the % of unseen aid... I think?

Associate
currently playing Kingdoms of Amalur re reckoning on PS4

I have no idea how I missed this when it first came out. Only in early game but it's actually a decent ARPG and the skill trees are all fairly decent giving a good playing experience.
If you like this have a look at Wayfinder - it's only £15 for early access and has a similar style to Amalur. It is going free to play in February if you would rather wait it out.

Soldato
Currently playing The Expanse: A Telltale Series. It's pretty good, gameplay so far has been a little bit repetitive (standard fare for Telltale-type games), though it's somewhat lacking that Expanse "feel" to it, not sure what it is exactly. Still, if you're a fan of the series/books I think you'll like it.

While waiting for the remaining episodes of that, I'm also playing Alan Wake Remastered in prep for AW2 next month. Haven't played it since it first game out on the Xbox 360 thirteen years ago so it's good to go back and refresh my memory. Feels a bit clunky in places but it's good to be back.

Soldato
Finished AC Origins then Odyssey and currently making my way through Valhalla. It’s much better than I remember. Think I just blasted through the story as quickly as I could when it released. Taking my time now just 100% clearing each county before I move to another. Some of the side quests are hilarious as is the flyting. Loving it.

Associate
Finished AC Origins then Odyssey and currently making my way through Valhalla. It’s much better than I remember. Think I just blasted through the story as quickly as I could when it released. Taking my time now just 100% clearing each county before I move to another. Some of the side quests are hilarious as is the flyting. Loving it.
I loved AC Valhalla and don't understand why it seems to get negative feedback - I played it to completion including all the side quests. I keep meaning to pickup all the dlc when it's on offer.

Soldato
Just completed the Witcher 3 and depressingly got the bad ending :( however I feel like I haven't had enough and just purchased the expansion pass so I can start those too!

I almost never buy DLC/expansions so it shows how much I enjoyed this game

Last edited:
Soldato
Parked Witcher 3 for a bit, as I've dipped back into Cyberpunk - I was on the last mission on my first character, but started a new playthough when the PS5 patch came out. Seems like they've added loads of content, done a few side missions that could have been DLC in their own right - the game also still looks incredible on OLED!

With this heat though, I CBA to play much at the moment, so haven't been on my usual MP-fesh (HLL) for a while - though I did fire up Snowrunner for a bit; as my daughter has taken a shine to trucks recently - so was loving that :D

Back
Top Bottom