Garden room / posh shed /workshop build log

Soldato
OP
Soldato
Could also just do a flitch plate above the door, doesn't look too hard

Yeah for a 2m span I'd chance a flitch. It depends on your labour cost, a box beam maybe fractionally less work.

Soldato
OP
Yeah for a 2m span I'd chance a flitch. It depends on your labour cost, a box beam maybe fractionally less work.
Well my labour is me on parental leave or my nephew at 8quid an hour :D. Looks like itd only take an hour or so for a flitch. That company I posted previous wanted 120 quid delivery so I've contacted a local company to see what they can do. They said a box section they'd be getting in a 7.5m length so the wastage is monster!

Soldato
OP
The setting out is done/started and now just need to dig the holes...... It is not easy ground!!

hBzgbSb.jpeg

Also started tying off the bases of the galvanised rods. Quick delivery from direct channel and bapp for washers.
PCemL8S.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
Ooh you've got started quick... I am still resisting the temptation to start planning and buying materials. I doubt I'll get started before summer is gone with a half finished garage conversion and bedroom to do :(

Associate
Well my labour is me on parental leave or my nephew at 8quid an hour :D. Looks like itd only take an hour or so for a flitch. That company I posted previous wanted 120 quid delivery so I've contacted a local company to see what they can do. They said a box section they'd be getting in a 7.5m length so the wastage is monster!
On parental leave and able to do massive DIY projects! You're lucky.
On my recent parental leave I was up to my eyeballs in cooking, cleaning, looking after our other kids. All my DIY jobs are postponed to next year.

Soldato
OP
Looks mega! Well done sir.
Thanks, I'll be honest in that the front /back it's odds and evens on 550/600 and sides don't take the roof so they're nearer 500 deep.

As you've said before you do see people put them very shallow!

All my timber, sheet materials and cement/aggregate come tomorrow..... Gonna be a pain getting them thru the garden.

Also ordered 1900wide by 2100 height French doors and 2x 600 wide by 2100 height windows. Went for upvc like a pleb but only £1700 so not too bad...

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks, I'll be honest in that the front /back it's odds and evens on 550/600 and sides don't take the roof so they're nearer 500 deep.

As you've said before you do see people put them very shallow!

All my timber, sheet materials and cement/aggregate come tomorrow..... Gonna be a pain getting them thru the garden.

Also ordered 1900wide by 2100 height French doors and 2x 600 wide by 2100 height windows. Went for upvc like a pleb but only £1700 so not too bad...
Tidy! Yeah 600 deep is really only for soil. Once you hit something firm I'd stop. I think you mean centers are ok - sides take walls/roof so should be "fully home".

How are you feeling? :cry: :o

Soldato
OP
Tidy! Yeah 600 deep is really only for soil. Once you hit something firm I'd stop. I think you mean centers are ok - sides take walls/roof so should be "fully home".

How are you feeling? :cry: :o

Well I thought it would be the front/back primarily taking the roof. Regardless I have a lot of rods to a decent depth.

I am ****** after it, and sunburnt!

Did you order something similar to the below from rubber4roofs ie a full "kit"?
IQHNyji.png

Soldato
Well I thought it would be the front/back primarily taking the roof. Regardless I have a lot of rods to a decent depth.

I am ****** after it, and sunburnt!

Did you order something similar to the below from rubber4roofs ie a full "kit"?
IQHNyji.png
Ah sorry I got you - yes just front and back are super heavy vs. sides and middles. Sides fractionally more than middle due to walls, but no where near as much as front and rear.

I didn't go premium with R4R but I did pay for the kit - glue, trims etc.

I only used one tin of contact adheisve and 1x5l of waterbased stuff though, so they do over-estimate I'd say.

Back
Top Bottom