Garden room / posh shed /workshop build log

Soldato
@dlockers i see what you mean about build pack 400 centres vs 400 spacings. I think youre meant to use 400 spacings (so that insulation is optimised.) is that what you went for?
I went for 400 centres in the end, but with T&G chipboard 22mm you don't need to land on a joist anyway; so if I had my time again I would do 400 spacing.

Soldato
OP
I went for 400 centres in the end, but with T&G chipboard 22mm you don't need to land on a joist anyway; so if I had my time again I would do 400 spacing.
Cheers reckon my (treated floor) timbers out in the wet will be alreet. It's ******* it down :'(

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers reckon my (treated floor) timbers out in the wet will be alreet. It's ******* it down :'(
Too late now so yes :D

They may eat your saw blades given they'll be full of wet but not the end of the world. I left all my 5x2s out. It did make them about 3x as heavy tho, or maybe I was just knackered :D

Soldato
OP
Absolutely hurting today after fitting the rods.

To be honest I'm thinking if access to my garden wasn't terrible /for recommending others I'd say it's easier to set out a slab and pump concrete in.

Had the same as @dlockers and 3 bags of cement / a lot of ballast left over (mine are all min 500 and very to 600 but quite narrow)

Did you choose ur cladding @dlockers?

ypNqL0w.jpeg

JpG5GcI.jpeg

Soldato
Absolutely hurting today after fitting the rods.

To be honest I'm thinking if access to my garden wasn't terrible /for recommending others I'd say it's easier to set out a slab and pump concrete in.

Had the same as @dlockers and 3 bags of cement / a lot of ballast left over (mine are all min 500 and very to 600 but quite narrow)

Did you choose ur cladding @dlockers?

ypNqL0w.jpeg

JpG5GcI.jpeg
Well done man looks good. Did they drop the ballast into your garden via the HIAB? Lucky SoB if so!

Cladding... I think I am going to order from southern sheeting. I opened a trade account for my new garden room biz. :) Bison and metal I think!

Soldato
OP
Well done man looks good. Did they drop the ballast into your garden via the HIAB? Lucky SoB if so!

Cladding... I think I am going to order from southern sheeting. I opened a trade account for my new garden room biz. :) Bison and metal I think!
I ******* wish it was a circa 80m walk from the front drive x62 bags

(*need to carry them thru the house and my wheelbarrow is so shagged that it can't even handle a bag so I shouldered it each time).

Last edited:
Soldato
I ******* wish it was a circa 80m walk from the front drive x62 bags

(*need to carry them thru the house and my wheelbarrow is so shagged that it can't even handle a bag so I shouldered it each time).
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: that sounds rough as nuts lol! I ordered a tonne bag in the end which isn't a tonne (building merchants are WTF) and shoveled it into buckets as I used it.

Did you rent a mixer? That is good going

Soldato
OP
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: that sounds rough as nuts lol! I ordered a tonne bag in the end which isn't a tonne (building merchants are WTF) and shoveled it into buckets as I used it.

Did you rent a mixer? That is good going
Nah I bought a cement mixer from screwfix for £290.

Ive got this job, some decking and a patio to do. With the **** access I thought it best to just buy it once and sell it later. Even at half price would be evens with renting one.

Soldato
OP
Been doing this since 8am this morning getting the base level, timbers on etc. I just hand leveled the nuts

K19qKyb.jpeg

I feel like you made much quicker progress and putting me to shame @dlockers :D.

Also ordered my EPDM roof from rubber for roofs (1.5mm thick)

Soldato
Well done Buffman! I will be following where possible yours and dlockers threads. I am yet to start mine. I've been debating a concrete slab myself. Not sure which way I'm going to go.
When I tell people I'm going to self build, the question that always comes back is, "oh really, wow, will it be loads cheaper than an of the shelf version then?" My response...errr... dunno. lol
I saw some insulated buildings for 5-10k, but some of these "insulated" buildings are 75mm total wall thickness, which seems meh.

What sort of budget are you realistically aiming to come in under?

Soldato
OP
Well done Buffman! I will be following where possible yours and dlockers threads. I am yet to start mine. I've been debating a concrete slab myself. Not sure which way I'm going to go.
When I tell people I'm going to self build, the question that always comes back is, "oh really, wow, will it be loads cheaper than an of the shelf version then?" My response...errr... dunno. lol
I saw some insulated buildings for 5-10k, but some of these "insulated" buildings are 75mm total wall thickness, which seems meh.

What sort of budget are you realistically aiming to come in under?
It will probably be circa 10k maybe just under and that won't even be insulating all the walls /ceiling (it would cost say another 800 to finish that). It's just a fancy workshop for me

Id do concrete slab tbh if you have good access and could get a pumped mix in. Depends on size I guess.

Last edited:
Soldato
A lorry could park on my drive and then run a pump line to the area down my side passage, but it would be about 5-10 metres total length. Not sure if they can do that.

Back
Top Bottom