Garden room / posh shed /workshop build log

For cutting PIR I used a jigsaw with a bradknife serrated type blade. Made a nice tidy job of it without hardly any tearing or dust from it.

To get PIR to fit nicely, you can use Gapotape. You only have to get the cuts sort of accurate, then the memory foam compresses. Also improves the vapour barrier. It is however and additional cost and takes more time...
Aye ive heard those jigsaw blades are OK on 50mm pir but not very good with 100mm PIR

For cutting PIR I used a jigsaw with a bradknife serrated type blade. Made a nice tidy job of it without hardly any tearing or dust from it.

To get PIR to fit nicely, you can use Gapotape. You only have to get the cuts sort of accurate, then the memory foam compresses. Also improves the vapour barrier. It is however and additional cost and takes more time...
Lifes too short for gapotape IMO. It is an additional step - I had 40+ roof panels to fit. You've gotta consider that 99% of the roof is now covered; the final 1% is the angels share IMO :D

Lifes too short for gapotape IMO. It is an additional step - I had 40+ roof panels to fit. You've gotta consider that 99% of the roof is now covered; the final 1% is the angels share IMO :D
It is indeed, I agree and didn't use it myself. I went over board by foil taping and doubling up with a vapour barrier, but thought I'd pass on what I'd recently read/seen.

60kg of rubber on the roof and dry fitted in the ******* rain. Letting it flex out until a reasonable temp day

Also got soffits and fascias delivered today from plastics hub. All from gap plastics it would appear. The black on them matches the windows nicely

Only problem I have with the windows is I got foam on the other one, and trying to clean it with foam gun cleaner and pink stuff has probably made it worse! :(

KA6bLrJ.jpeg

ckXAwej.jpeg

Last edited:
have you done anything re: your drainage behind your garden room @dlockers and/or put in gutters yet? as you can see from this old photo mines really tight and I haven't/hadnt really considered drainage. its fairly free draining soil/ ground and I'm awfully tempted to try it without guttering first as even if I gutter with a 45 degree bend at the bottom its still the same local area roughly.

86hEnw6.jpeg

have you done anything re: your drainage behind your garden room @dlockers and/or put in gutters yet? as you can see from this old photo mines really tight and I haven't/hadnt really considered drainage. its fairly free draining soil/ ground and I'm awfully tempted to try it without guttering first as even if I gutter with a 45 degree bend at the bottom its still the same local area roughly.

86hEnw6.jpeg
I started with no gutters, but ended up fitting them, mainly as rain rolling off the roof was splashing back up the bottom of the cladding (and in your case with soil might make a mess) and also I noted water pooling a bit and soaking in to the area just around the shed.. so I used basic square guttering which removed the back splashing and also allowed me to divert it almost directly to some gravel drainage.

86hEnw6.jpeg
I need to clad first - haven't even put the battens on. I will have guttering just to stop splash back. It'll just drain onto allotments in my case.

How did you do your soffits /fascias @dlockers? Got any pics?

Took me a good while today and only done the front. I also realise plastics hub forgot to tell. Me to get these double joints for the fascias! *edit: nope they told me I forgot to add to order :x

Also I did the nails from below in the soffits aren't even.... Plz forgive :X. Realise I should have hidden all the fixings.

Last edited:
Finished soffits/fascias today. No good pics to post as got the rubber laying over it. Might be a few days till I glue the rubber as I've got another patio project I've started and getting rid of all the waste from this!

Its now at least watertight (touch wood!). Once mistake was cutting/nailing the fascias on the roof and I may have got a nail touching the rubber. I think it's OK but I'm slightly paranoid! It was a nailed in full length of fascia that I had to remove as I managed to break the face of it missing with a hammer :(, they're so easy to damage. Luckily manged to swap it to the unseen edges.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom