• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

Gear Thread - Pics

Soldato
Phalanx :eek:

Have you just got that fretless? It looks very impressive (as the nun said to the vicar).

I'm seriously gassing for a 6 string bass now, and an emerald guitar 7 string Opus X10, and a Peavey JSX 4x12 cab, and a kurzweil 2600..

Why haven't I won the lottery yet?

Permabanned
naffa said:
nice :D i would have personally gone for a Warwick if i were to go fretless.. but hey. if youre happy then good on ya :D

i'd have liked a warwick except I've never heard of a fretless 6 string warwick which costs £410 and sounds like the Ibanez Gary Willis Signature :p

Andelusion said:
Phalanx

Have you just got that fretless? It looks very impressive (as the nun said to the vicar).

I'm seriously gassing for a 6 string bass now, and an emerald guitar 7 string Opus X10, and a Peavey JSX 4x12 cab, and a kurzweil 2600..

Why haven't I won the lottery yet?

I got it on Monday, i'm really pleased with it, sounds great. If you're happy with the tighter spacing (actually, I lie, my 6ers are 18mm and 19mm string spacing), larger necks and extra weight then six string bass is very rewarding, the extra range it gives really helps

Soldato
I bought some drums.

mydrumsyay2.jpg

Mapex V 8pc, Sabian B8 cymbols. Sizes are 8" (not set up), 10", 12", 13", 16"f, 18"f (not set up), 22" kick, 14" snare. Cymbols are 14" hi hats, 16" crash, 14" crash, 10" splash, 20" ride, and a paiste china (not shown).

Pretty cheap, but sounds good! Lots of fun to play, its good to have a kit again.

Having it in the lounge sucks because im compromised what I can have out and where, but its not too bad like that. I get the attic room in our new house so I can have all my music stuff out. Kit should last me a few years before I get the upgrade bug (i'm trying not to even think about DW's :p)

I bought another strat too:

blackiestrat.jpg

Edit: Excuse the mess everywhere, we had a Jacobs cracker fight last night.

Last edited:
Associate
andelusion - you just wanted to show off that jem7 again lol (ive got a jem7 based rep on its way to me :D i blame you! :p) avec pics hehe

and deathrow - ive just picked my jaw up off the flaw - damn thats 1 fine inlay

Soldato
New stuff: (hooray)

Guitar: Squier Strat
guitar17aj.jpg

guitarstuff4dm.jpg

New snare: Pearl MMX 14"x6.5" snare
mmxa7th.jpg

Cymbals: Paiste
2oo2 - 8", 10" Splashes, 14" Medium Hi Hats, 16", 17" Crashes, 18" China
Giant Beat - 20" Multifunctional (used as ride)
cymbals29ls.jpg

I'm getting a new drum kit when I move back to England (at the end of May) - probably going for a Mapex Saturn, unless any bargains pop up. I can get a 6-piecer (3 toms, 2 floor toms, 1 bass drum) for under a grand.

Man of Honour
Dave said:
I'm getting a new drum kit when I move back to England (at the end of May) - probably going for a Mapex Saturn, unless any bargains pop up. I can get a 6-piecer (3 toms, 2 floor toms, 1 bass drum) for under a grand.

We had a 21 year old drummer stand in over last weekends gigs and he had a Mapex Saturn drumkit and its gorgeous. I played it while he setup his sound on the PA and it felt great. Funnily enough he wore a Dream Theater t-shirt on both gigs and he was brilliant. Hoping to get him full time.

Soldato
dmpoole said:
Funnily enough he wore a Dream Theater t-shirt on both gigs and he was brilliant. Hoping to get him full time.

He sounds like a sound guy :D Dream Theater's drummer Mike Portnoy is an awesome influence to have. I wish I could play the drums...

[On Topic]

Don't think I've posted a picture in here of my latest acquisition yet:

Ibanez RGA121

frontfull01.jpg

Soldato
dmpoole said:
We had a 21 year old drummer stand in over last weekends gigs and he had a Mapex Saturn drumkit and its gorgeous. I played it while he setup his sound on the PA and it felt great. Funnily enough he wore a Dream Theater t-shirt on both gigs and he was brilliant. Hoping to get him full time.

The Mapex Saturns are great, especially the bass drums. Finish is wonderful on it too, and it doesn't break the bank. (a Pearl MMX kit to match my snare would set me back over 2 grand)

Mike Portnoy is definately my biggest influence as a drummer, although funnily enough I don't have a Dream Theater t-shirt! :D

Soldato
bcjames said:
That MMX looks awesome. Mapex drums are sweet, I demo'd some Pro M's when I bought mine, and they were so nice. Blew away most other equivilent priced gear. Nice cymbol set up too!

The MMX snare is great - it's thin maple (4ply) so it is very sensitive and has a great tuning range. I have it tuned fairly low, but it still has a great crack to it. (bit dodgy . . .) The colour is awesome - there are very small microflakes that sparkle, and the wood pattern can be seen through the lacquer. Wouldn't expect anything less for £300 though! :eek::D

Cymbals-wise I'm building up my set - I'm still looking to pick up an 18" 2oo2 crash, 24" 2oo2 ride, 12" 2oo2 splash, 6" 2oo2 bell chime and a couple of the Nosie Works cymbals - the dark buzz china set and the tripple raw smash set. I love Paiste cymbals too much :D

Mapex drums are great for the price, I'll agree with you there. Pro M's are fantastic for the money (poplar Export or all-maple Pro M?) and Saturns are even better - professional drum kit for well under a grand :eek:

If money was no object, I'd have a Tama Starclassic Maple or a Pearl Masterworks, but unforunately I don't play the lottery, so I'll make do with a Saturn!

You got any pics of your kit? :)

Soldato
Dave said:
You got any pics of your kit? :)

Mine are up the page a bit, the black VX. Excuse the tom angles, my bands drummer uses my drums to practice, and hes still in the 80s.

The ProM is such an awesome kit. I looked at the M, and didnt feel it was a big enough step up from the V, but then the ProM was more than my student loan would allow :p With some decent heads and well tuned, basswood has a suprisingly nice tone to it. These will do me through uni untill I can afford the oh so nice DWs in the local shop!

Corin, thats mad!

Last edited:
Soldato
bcjames said:
The ProM is such an awesome kit. I looked at the M, and didnt feel it was a big enough step up from the V, but then the ProM was more than my student loan would allow :p With some decent heads and well tuned, basswood has a suprisingly nice tone to it. These will do me through uni untill I can afford the oh so nice DWs in the local shop!

Corin, thats mad!

Unless you have an older Pro M, they are 100% Maple shells - the same used in the Orions in fact! I'm not a DW fan myself, they are waaaay to much! I'd buy a set if I had too much money though just for the sake of it :p

That old Premier kit is mad - looks great fun to play though! :D

Associate
Hehe, it's great to finally have the damn thing- I've always loved Premier Projectors and have been waiting for a full set for about 13 years now!

Everything you see in the pic except one kick which I already had, including cymbals, full set of cases, stool, two bags full of sticks, for a grand. I nearly bit his arm off.... The Zildjians are all A's from the early 90s too, and virtually untouched.

To be honest while it's great fun like this, it's not practical and I'm not keeping the kit in this configuration. The plan is to have the 20" kick with 8,10,12,14" toms on my rack, and have the rest as a 22,13,16,18 rock kit. Got loads and loads of cymbals packed away to adorn both of them with.

Then the next obstacle is to find somewhere to play them - they make a bit more noise than the V-Drums. Current plan is to dig a massive hole in the back garden, tank it out, then sink a 15 foot ISO cargo container into it with a staircase at one end. Cover the whole thing with a B&Q wooden summer house, and cable it all up as an upstairs/downstairs studio. Voila- I'd be able to drum at 2am without disturbing anyone!

Soldato
Thats half what I'm planning on doing soon. I'm moving back to the UK in June and getting a new drum kit (probably Saturn) so I'll need some place to put it. Thankfully, we live in the middle of nowhere and our nearest neighbours are about a mile away! We're getting one of those pie sheds (a large one, mind) and sticking round the back of the tractor shed after digging out part of the bank. Should allow for late night drummage too :D :p

Soldato
just a quick update on my setup

IMG_0673.jpg

just got a "nashville" acoustic for somthing a bit different and try improve my technique (SP?!?) never heard of them before but my main deciders on a guitar... plays and sounds nice

Associate
I haven't got my of my own pics so Im gonna have to 'borrow' other peoples:

ESP KH-2

kh2.jpg

'05 Fender AmSe strat (olympic white)

5273.jpg

ENGL Screamer 50 Combo

screamer_combo.jpg

Other bits:

12W custom made vintage valve amp
Simon & Patrick SP6 Spruce
1996 BC Rich Warlock

Associate
Updated gear:

Stagg accoustic (first guitar)
Ibanez RG550 (excellent guitar)
Squier Musicmaster (borrowed bass, had it for months)

Boss DS-1
Dunlop Crybaby
Digitech Whammy (newly purchased from Mr stickyfiddle, from another forum)
Line 6 Toneport UX2
Very old keyboard (not mine, but had it for ages)
10W practice amp (rarely used)

I think that's it. ;)

Back
Top Bottom