Gears Of War 4 (coming to Win 10 in Oct)

Permabanned
I know it doesn't matter per se, just saying it seems a bit too much and I don't think anyone will bother staring at walls for 5 minutes in a linear fast-paced shooter to marvel at texture quality. Such genres hardly need it. They keep packing ridiculously sized textures in games and most of the time nobody notices the difference between ultra and very high/high when playing but download sizes keep getting bigger.

Its not fast paced. Never has been and the first one was a very pretty game even for 360 standards when it came out

Soldato
Its not fast paced. Never has been and the first one was a very pretty game even for 360 standards when it came out

"Fast paced" wasn't the right word, I admit, but you know what I mean. It's a pretty game, there's no denying that. Gears 1 was as well but I think it had more to do with the lighting, shadowing and effects than texture quality. More often than not, when textures are sharp enough not to be distracting, such things have a far bigger visual impact.
That's why I'm not a fan of uber-sharp 8k textures weighing a lot of GBs. Many people simply don't notice the difference during gameplay if they don't scrutinise them. I don't. I look at the entire game.

Of course, if someone thinks it's necessary then I have no right to say it's pointless but I'd much rather have a significantly smaller download size and the option to download uber-hyper-ultra textures separately.

Associate
I hope you folks like Requisition packs from Halo 5 or the loot boxes in Overwatch. Especially the latter.

Why? Because GoW4 has these things called Gear Packs, the same sort of thing, rarities and all. It's the only way to unlock customisation (besides pre-orders and such) in the game and of course it's random drops. Get them in-game or pay real money (micro-transactions) for them. I also think that it's possible to get duplicates in this game too, much like in Overwatch.

So keep that in mind folks. This game has a paid DLC (season pass) AND micro-transactions. I might have accepted it, if the DLC was free like Halo 5 or if this was a free-to-play game. But this is the bad kind of micro-transactions where you can't outright buy stuff, you only get a chance at it. I can already imagine people pouring hundreds of quid on this and never getting the drop they want. Because of this, I've decided I no longer care for buying this game. I always felt that Gears of War 3 was the last one, looks like I'll keep that feeling going.

Enjoy folks.

Edit: I'm making the point that I don't like this nonsense by voting with my wallet. It's a darn shame what has happened to video games these days, the immense greed of some publishers

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the entire Windows Store is an abomination with its ridiculous prices, limited functionality and games which often even don't work properly. I still feel bad for getting Horizon 3 Ultimate but I love Forza and wanted the cars/VIP from the deluxe and the price difference was rather small after I got a couple of cheaper pre-paid cards. Still ashamed I bought it though, especially that it doesn't always work as it should... Definitely my last buy from MS seeing as it was the most expensive game I've ever bought.

Devs think more about milking people for DLC and preorder bonuses than ensuring their products run properly for the majority of users. It's disgusting.

Associate
I've been trying for the past 2 days to get the download working, It started, It stopped, It gave me error codes, It downloaded near enough 72GB of the 73.33GB then failed.

Upon checking the windows store this morning it no longer said i owned Gears of War 4 and only showed that i owned the pre-order, Previously it had said both, There were no more options to try and download and the pre-order only has a manage button that does nothing.

That's when i found out that my code might have possibly been revoked, I've since been one with Nvidia support live chat who can't really tell me either way if it's been revoked and instead asked for aPicture or a screen shot of the game promo code, a picture/screen shot of order confirmation from retailer and a picture of the serial number from the graphic card.

After giving them all of this they said "I will have this checked with the concerned team and will send you an email as soon as I get an update for this."

The biggest problem at the moment (apart from the fact that windows store is a huge pile of crap) is that there is absolutely no communication from MS or the developers the Coalition so there's no way to know if the issues are because the crapiness of the windows store or if the codes somehow accidentally got revoked.

Associate
I've been trying for the past 2 days to get the download working, It started, It stopped, It gave me error codes, It downloaded near enough 72GB of the 73.33GB then failed.

Upon checking the windows store this morning it no longer said i owned Gears of War 4 and only showed that i owned the pre-order, Previously it had said both, There were no more options to try and download and the pre-order only has a manage button that does nothing.

That's when i found out that my code might have possibly been revoked, I've since been one with Nvidia support live chat who can't really tell me either way if it's been revoked and instead asked for aPicture or a screen shot of the game promo code, a picture/screen shot of order confirmation from retailer and a picture of the serial number from the graphic card.

After giving them all of this they said "I will have this checked with the concerned team and will send you an email as soon as I get an update for this."

The biggest problem at the moment (apart from the fact that windows store is a huge pile of crap) is that there is absolutely no communication from MS or the developers the Coalition so there's no way to know if the issues are because the crapiness of the windows store or if the codes somehow accidentally got revoked.

Nvidia have been revoking codes from the store if they believe them to have been re-sold on ebay etc. http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/matthew-wilson/gears-of-war-4-keys-are-being-revoked/

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=218686478#post218686478

Looks like they've pulled your key. Surprised they didn't tell you this on the live chat though.

Permabanned
wow kinda sucks for people who bought the code from places like ebay. What happens if someone buys a graphics card, sells the code and then later RMA's the card within 30 days or whatever the grace period is?

Associate
Nvidia have been revoking codes from the store if they believe them to have been re-sold on ebay etc. http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/matthew-wilson/gears-of-war-4-keys-are-being-revoked/

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=218686478#post218686478

Looks like they've pulled your key. Surprised they didn't tell you this on the live chat though.

Worst part is now i'm just to sit and wait and hope they get back to me or else i need to hassle the hell out of their support if i haven't had a reply in a few days.

Edit: Now they are saying that the code is redeemed to my account, All the problems with it not saying owned in the Windows Store must be down the completely incompetency of MS in their design of the Windows Store.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well i finally got my game to install after many attempts i used the Run command WSReset.exe and then it let me download and install it to my ssd which just had enough room left on it lol:o

Luckily after install it let me move it to my 2nd drive with no problems but yet it would not install there in the first place :rolleyes:

Permabanned
Don't think you can get it anywhere else however you can buy the xbox 1 version and get it free. I don't have an xbox 1 so is this still possible for me to do it and be able to activate it?

Soldato
Guys, at least wait till release and watch some performance reviews, I'd be wary of anything released on that abomination called Windows Store. I've alredy learned my lesson. You'll save yourself the hassle of downloading 70+ GB and then having to refund if it happens to run like crap.

Associate
Does anyone know how to get the game through the Nvidia promotion? I put the code in and pretty sure I logged in after but then my browser crashed. And now I can't see a login option on the website and if I try to redeem the code it says its been already used.

Soldato
Does anyone know how to get the game through the Nvidia promotion? I put the code in and pretty sure I logged in after but then my browser crashed. And now I can't see a login option on the website and if I try to redeem the code it says its been already used.

Does it show up in the store ? did you check the store account purchases :)

Soldato
OP
Pro tip if like many you are not able to download the game after pausing the crappy Windows store download :eek: You have to download the entire 73.3Gb in 1 go without pausing it then its possible otherwise be prepared for frustration as it appears the Win 10 store does not currently have a working pause button due to MS utter lack of QA regarding their own store :rolleyes:

I spent days trying to download & grabbed around 100Gb on several failed attempts where I paused the download then today left the PC on for 4.5 hours & it successfully downloaded all 73.3Gb in 1 attempt.

Good DRM from MS actually not letting many people even download the game they paid for :rolleyes: along with the Win 10 locked to 1 Xbox account DRM & the EFF file encryption DRM which unlocks on the fly as you play it (same DRM schemes used on the new Forza Win 10 game).

Game does look seriously good graphically though but screenshots do not do it justice you have to look closely at some of the PC in game videos released :)

Also if you bought the Ultimate edition of this game its unlocked for you on the 7th October 4 days before the release date for the other versions of the game!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom