• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX 780, 770 coming in May

Soldato
I bought one to try for myself, Nvidia touted it as the best single card all the performance you needed and that one card was preferred as no multi card issues etc. Sure enough it wasn't that great to be worthy of £850 price tag. I like to try things out myself so that's what I did.

I sold it on and picked up two 660's for £200 as an interim and have £600 back in my pocket, I will use the 660's until the real next gen cards arrive.

I really want a single card that properly handle 1440P, I doubt that will happen until Maxwell though, so my sights are set on a pair of GTX 770's, if they are under £300 each anyway.

Problem with that though is there will be newer games that push the graphics even further by that point though. Its been the same since gaming on PCs started mate. I doubt that even a Maxwell chip would run crysis 3 with 8XMSAA at over 60fps at 1440p tbh.

Soldato
If it comes in at under £300, it's not bad value at all. .

Doubt that, there is plenty of 670 and 680 stock sitting on shelves, a £300 770 would mean a substantial price drop on the 670/80, can't see Nvidia dropping them that low. So I expect the 770 to come in at £400 as a direct replacement for the 680, and that is lame for what is basically a 680 OC with a better cooler.

Soldato
Problem with that though is there will be newer games that push the graphics even further by that point though. Its been the same since gaming on PCs started mate. I doubt that even a Maxwell chip would run crysis 3 with 8XMSAA at over 60fps at 1440p tbh.

Yeah very true bud, I did regret buying it, luckily got all my money back and got a chance to play with one for a while. Won't make that mistake again, no single GPU is worth £850 imho. Will go for bang for buck on normal high end cards like I normally do. Got my eye on a pair of 770's, cheaper and would probably outperform the Titan anyway?

Doubt that, there is plenty of 670 and 680 stock sitting on shelves, a £300 770 would mean a substantial price drop on the 670/80, can't see Nvidia dropping them that low. So I expect the 770 to come in at £400 as a direct replacement for the 680, and that is lame for what is basically a 680 OC with a better cooler.

That would suck, hopefully they just eol the 6XX series and start producing the 7 series at the same price points, maybe plus 10%.

Have to wait and see, figures crossed Nvidia don't screw us on the 7 series :D

Soldato
nvidia don't really care what stock is sat on shelves, they will put a small discount out through the channel to let their primary partners shift old stock, but they will be far more concentrated on selling new chips (the old chips sat on shelves have already been paid for by retailers and distributors, there's no gain for nvidia in these old cards being sold)

Soldato
nvidia don't really care what stock is sat on shelves, they will put a small discount out through the channel to let their primary partners shift old stock, but they will be far more concentrated on selling new chips

Agreed, hopefully 6XX series go eol, and start pumping out the 7XX series at some good price points. Plz don't fleece us :rolleyes:

Soldato
If it wasn't nvidia, i would say these cards probably won't sell well. The only interesting card is the gtx780 and what kind of price point it will come in at. The rest won't be a step up from current gen oc performance. I think the gtx770 will still struggle to be a match for the 7970 when both are at max overclocks especially at higher resolution.

Soldato
Yeah very true bud, I did regret buying it, luckily got all my money back and got a chance to play with one for a while. Won't make that mistake again, no single GPU is worth £850 imho. Will go for bang for buck on normal high end cards like I normally do. Got my eye on a pair of 770's, cheaper and would probably outperform the Titan anyway?

That would suck, hopefully they just eol the 6XX series and start producing the 7 series at the same price points, maybe plus 10%.

Have to wait and see, figures crossed Nvidia don't screw us on the 7 series :D

Faster most definitely, but cheaper, who knows lol.

Soldato
So judging a few posts this is basically a juiced up 680 with a Titan board/cooler and higher volts.

It's allot worse than that. Basically nvidia are using Titan LE to set a new price point for the 780 - that is, if the rumoured price is to be believed.

I have to agree with Raven here, it does not make sense for nvidia to offer a faster card without exhausting the remaining 680 stock.

Soldato
If the 770 is just a re-badged 680 with 1.3v this seems pretty decent.

If the 770 is just a re-badged 680 with only a small increase in voltage and clocks then this seems pretty bad.

Not sure if they would ever be able to get the volts that high on a 680 without damaging it but I guess I will have to wait until next month to find out.

Associate
It really does not matter what any of these cards are spec wise.

What really matters is the price/performance ratio, what bang for buck you get.

Well considering anything above a GTX660 right now has terribad price/performance ratio, I wouldn't hold your hopes up for 770/780 being cost effective XD

They are just premium products aimed at people who have the money to afford the best, and don't care about cost effectiveness.

Soldato
I saw that article of Nvidia profit margins going up .... I wonder why !!!

I wonder if gone are the days of proper high end cards for reasonable price in 570/580 era

Back
Top Bottom