• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Soldato
as a 1080ti owner, I wouldn't be interested in getting the 2080, if I didn't have a 1080ti and was coming from something older then maybe it would be a toss up between getting a 1080ti and a 2080, so as they are broadly similar prices, if its a consistent 10% faster plus has RTX and DLSS then it becomes a more interesting choice, if its slower than a 1080ti then thats a different choice entirely

IT's back down to reviews again. If it's that close in performance to the 1080ti then it will depend on how well it performs with Ray tracing and is DLSS going to be as good as it sounds.

Soldato
Well I hope it is faster than that for your sake. It's an expensive upgrade and hope that buyers get a proper boost in performance in all games. But 10% over the 1080ti isn't that great either, will 10% be even noticeable in most games?
I am talking about the 2080 not the Ti and as such the price is not THAT different .£600 for the 1080ti Vs £715 for the 2080.

A 10% increase in raw performance as well as RTX and dlss is a price I will be prepared to pay.
With DLSS enabled the difference will hopefully be much greater

Soldato
I am talking about the 2080 not the Ti and as such the price is not THAT different .£600 for the 1080ti Vs £715 for the 2080.

A 10% increase in raw performance as well as RTX and dlss is a price I will be prepared to pay.
With DLSS enabled the difference will hopefully be much greater

So let me ask the question if it's only on par with the 1080Ti will you still be happy to pay?

Soldato
So let me ask the question if it's only on par with the 1080Ti will you still be happy to pay?
That is the question isn't it!. It is also what I reckon will be the case. On a par with older games but getting better with newer ones using DLSS.
I don't know........ I will cross that bridge when I come to it ... i want a new card.my gtx 980 is showing its age But the way I am feeling now I may go option 3 and pick up a 2nd hand 1080ti

(Actually no I won't be "happy" to pay but I may just suck it up I dunno)

Soldato
I wonder if reviewers will get early copies of games to demonstrate DLSS and RayTracing.

It would certainly make a stronger case for the cards; if DLSS makes as much of a difference as I hope. Though of course that would give them the opportunity to cherry pick / optimise.

RTX I don’t know. Will people be drooling over 1080p 60fps? I suppose they could if it looks good enough. Perhaps if there’s some sort of demo kit and particular scenes can be optimised with DLSS and RayTracing?

Given the supposed low performance jump, you’d think they’d want to showcase the new tech to really differentiate the new gen. I’d be even more interested in reviews if this is what happens.

Associate
Wouldn't be at all surprised if one or two reviewers 'forget' the embargo for 2080 reviews has been pushed from 17th to 19th. ;)

I wonder what the penalties are if that happened, especially if it had a negative impact on the sales of those cards? I guess if it resulted in a gold rush and orders went through the roof, JHH might let it slide with a telling off.

Soldato
That is the question isn't it!. It is also what I reckon will be the case. On a par with older games but getting better with newer ones using DLSS.
I don't know........ I will cross that bridge when I come to it ... i want a new card.my gtx 980 is showing its age But the way I am feeling now I may go option 3 and pick up a 2nd hand 1080ti

(Actually no I won't be "happy" to pay but I may just suck it up I dunno)

I knew you were talking about the 2080 in your previous post. Coming from a 980 your going to be really happy with the performance no matter which card you pick. Games are going to fly!! And I wasn't trying to get you to change your mind, sorry if it came across that way. I was just curious as to what percentage of performance you would be happy with. I think even if the performance in normal games is the same you will keep the 2080 :) It's new and shiny and since you don't upgrade that often, it's probably best going forward when you include DLSS.

Soldato
All I read was

"provide “50% improvement in delivered performance per CUDA core”

And

" 50% increase in effective bandwidth on Turing compared to Pascal "

So 50% faster than he he

So the bait and switch it is then! Get everyone hyped on the 14th, bring them back down to earth on the 19th!

Associate
I mind Jenson saying all the romours were wrong at the begining of the reveal and it stuck with me ... And in the conference he did nothing to strike down the rumors as false.. What's the chances he's actually letting the rumour mill run riot so when the product drops it looks the doggies ? ... I doubt it myself but its in the back of my noggin

Associate
All I read was

"provide “50% improvement in delivered performance per CUDA core”

And

" 50% increase in effective bandwidth on Turing compared to Pascal "

So 50% faster than he he

Shader and Bandwidth are only parts of the chips speed. There's also rasterization, which might be the bottleneck. This might be possible in some special cherry-picked cases, but not otherwise. This also totally don't fit with the performance graph we have from 1080 to 2080 from Nvs presentation.

So don't get your hopes up.

Back
Top Bottom