• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Associate
I mind Jenson saying all the romours were wrong at the begining of the reveal and it stuck with me ... And in the conference he did nothing to strike down the rumors as false.. What's the chances he's actually letting the rumour mill run riot so when the product drops it looks the doggies ? ... I doubt it myself but its in the back of my noggin

Well you have considered every other theory, so you might as well rest your mind on your current thoughts, all will be revealed.

Soldato
Quadro RTX 5000 gets the fully enabled TU104 part, Geforce RTX 2080 is the defective version :)

i remember back in the day (6800 iirc) it was possible to unlock the locked "pipes" and shaders and get the performance of a 6800ultra (forgive me if details are a bit off)

i had a huge increase in performance because it turned out that with a bit of a voltage bump they still all worked.... (i think you needed to use riva tuner until you were happy it was working fine then could flash the bios to make it permanent)

i wonder if we will be able to do this here and get the full quadro stack?

this was my card and it was a beauty at the time. it did need a fan mounted to blow on it however once i modded it !
https://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/ProductImage/14-125-142-01.jpg

Associate
if the 2080 is going to be the new 1080ti with extras,where does that leave the 2070?

your still paying extra for the new goodies like raytracing but if the 2080ti isn't offering great framerates with RT on..where does this leave the 2070?..your paying for RT but it will be barely playable with it on?

as is it the 2070 is roughly on par pricewise with a 1080ti,and if RT doesn't offer good framerates on it why would you buy it over a faster 1080ti?

Associate
i remember back in the day (6800 iirc) it was possible to unlock the locked "pipes" and shaders and get the performance of a 6800ultra (forgive me if details are a bit off)

i had a huge increase in performance because it turned out that with a bit of a voltage bump they still all worked.... (i think you needed to use riva tuner until you were happy it was working fine then could flash the bios to make it permanent)

i wonder if we will be able to do this here and get the full quadro stack?

this was my card and it was a beauty at the time. it did need a fan mounted to blow on it however once i modded it !
https://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/ProductImage/14-125-142-01.jpg

It won't be possible unfortunatly. The cores are disabled in hardware (ie zapped with a laser) so you cant just flash the bios to unlock them.

Soldato
It won't be possible unfortunatly. The cores are disabled in hardware (ie zapped with a laser) so you cant just flash the bios to unlock them.

i suspected as much.. it was nice to hope for a few mins however. Thanks for the reply :)

back in the day i used to do it all the time. iirc i also turned my ATI 9800 into a 9800pro... or was it an XT? i am not sure.

Soldato
if the 2080 is going to be the new 1080ti with extras,where does that leave the 2070?

your still paying extra for the new goodies like raytracing but if the 2080ti isn't offering great framerates with RT on..where does this leave the 2070?..your paying for RT but it will be barely playable with it on?

as is it the 2070 is roughly on par pricewise with a 1080ti,and if RT doesn't offer good framerates on it why would you buy it over a faster 1080ti?

This is where confusion resides given Nvidia have revealed precious little about the 20xx series performance in relation to Pascal in current games... they just showed us all the new (and meaningless) metrics which were totally useless in that regard. We just won't know until reviews and benchmarks drop next as to where the cards will fall in relation to Pascal. I don't think it's a case of 2080 being the new 1080Ti though... I don't think such comparisons are necessarily going to say very much about what these cards can do, especially going forwards when it comes to DLSS and ray tracing... personally though, I don't see any reason to get excited about ray tracing given how demanding it's going to be... as you say, it doesn't seem even the 2080Ti is going to be much good above 1080p... at least in the short term... but as drivers mature and developers optimise for games, who knows. The 2070 I cannot ever really see being a good choice for ray tracing though, unless Nvidia somehow pull a rabbit out the hat regards performance and optimisation of RTX features in games.

I'm more interested in the raw performance of these cards and any other features they might bring. DLSS in particular does look promising, but as with ray tracing, developers need to optimise for that. It won't just 'work' on all games. Still, DLSS isn't a demanding FPS drain for the sake of beautiful visuals like ray tracing is.

As for a 2070 vs 1080Ti outside of all RTX features... again, we have to wait for reviews obviously, and although we'll be waiting longer for 2070 benchmarks, the 2080 reviews next week shoud offer some insight in to where the 2070 will land. Look at the price though... the 2070 is cheaper than a new 1080Ti. It's going to have to be quite a bit worse for it not to be the obvious choice of the two.

Soldato
I mind Jenson saying all the romours were wrong at the begining of the reveal and it stuck with me ... And in the conference he did nothing to strike down the rumors as false.. What's the chances he's actually letting the rumour mill run riot so when the product drops it looks the doggies ? ... I doubt it myself but its in the back of my noggin

Funnily enough I’ve been thinking the same thing. It would be quite the idea to let people think the performance is subpar right before launch; they keep selling 10 series stock, and when they drop people are so blind sided by higher performance (even though it’s actually just what we’ve come to expect) that the £1200 price tag suddenly seems reasonable.

Soldato
As an Nvidia shareholder yes, as a consumer, less so.

Nvidia does not pretend to care about consumers, it’s consumer pricing strategy makes that very clear. It’s like Trump, his actions are consistent with his past behaviour. If you support it, you shouldn’t really complain about it, as it would not be there without your support. It’s like Apple devotees complaining about Apple’s prices, they’re part and parcel of the whole experience.

Associate
Funnily enough I’ve been thinking the same thing. It would be quite the idea to let people think the performance is subpar right before launch; they keep selling 10 series stock, and when they drop people are so blind sided by higher performance (even though it’s actually just what we’ve come to expect) that the £1200 price tag suddenly seems reasonable.

To be honest , considering this to be one of the most valid ideas , what would you do if you had new tech in the wings but a large stock of current tech yet to be sold ? Rack up the price discouraging many pre orders except for the die hards but keeping the market on tenderhooks, keep performance info out of the public domain ... Extended the the Gagging orders until backlog cleared and then release cards with higher than antispitated performance which will now sell like hotcakes generating higher sales per unit over a longer period . either I just figured it out or I'm stupid . proberbly the latter but hope is all I have RN haha

Permabanned

From my understanding of it, DLSS should allow RT to be done at a low resolution with the results being enhanced to be as close as possible to the desired resolution.

Back
Top Bottom