• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Associate
Paid 715 for my Asus dual 2080 OC , now just seen its up at 830 now .... There's either something to be said for pre ordering immediately or something to be said about how bad the price gouging is . feel bad for anyone wanting one but having to fork out an extra 115 quid on top of an already crazy price .

Soldato
Paid 715 for my Asus dual 2080 OC , now just seen its up at 830 now .... There's either something to be said for pre ordering immediately or something to be said about how bad the price gouging is . feel bad for anyone wanting one but having to fork out an extra 115 quid on top of an already crazy price .
:confused: just checked and still £715.49

Associate
20180918_162852.jpg

Just got back ran a quick Prime 95 + Superposition in 3D. Who could top this in Single card setup :]

4x240mm fans on nova + 3 case 120mm fans and ofc waterpump 2x hdd 1xssh and nvme and other junk liie oculus rift sensors ect

What's ur CPU voltage at and what GPU do you run please pal ?

Permabanned
Interesting posts from Unwinder

pwnVYMZ.png

I spent whole weekend playing with NVIDIA Scanner integration in MSI Afterburner so I have some interesting observations to share with you. All the facts I’ll post are rather generic things (still useful for reviewers), which don’t seem to be covered by NDA, so I hope that green rays of love from California won’t burn me alive :)

- NVIDIA’s Scanner API is purely 64-bit only. Which means that in order to support it we would also either need to start releasing both 32-bit and 64-bit branches of MSI Afterburner or make MSI Afterburner pure 64-bit application only (and this way drop support for 32-bit OS’es and leave huge part of user base without updates, which makes me absolutely unhappy because I do my all to keep backward compatibility and still provide support for ancient Window XP OS and 10 years old GPUs starting from GeForce 6 or newer and RADEON HD 2000). As a compromise solution, our implementation is an independent 64-bit MSI OC Scanner application bundled with MSI Afterburner and communicating with it via MACM shared memory interface. Such modular architecture will allow us to update scanner independently of MSI Afterburner in future as well as let us to provide OC scanner component’s source code to GPU vendors for their internal tests.
- It was declared by NV that scanner API is using embedded NVIDIA tests for stressing GPU and testing overclocking stability. It is closed proprietary technology, so it is not clear now how much hardware dependent is the implementation, it is quite possible that it will work exclusively on RTX 20x0 series only.
- OC Scanner will provide you two main modes: test and scan. In test mode your manually configured voltage/frequency curve is being stress-tested, result is returned as GPU stability confidence level in % (0% - unstable, 100% - stable). I’ve never seen 100% result even on stock clocks BTW, it always seem to max on 90% on all cards we tried so probably it is just a precaution from NV side, no need to worry if you see <100% result. In scan mode scanner’s proprietary algorithms are trying to detect the maximum stable overclocking achieved by your GPU, result is returned as average core clock overclocking in MHz. Modified overclocked non-linear voltage/frequency curve is also sent to MSI Afterburner by scanner in the end of scanning process. Test mode takes approximately 5 minutes to complete, scan mode takes 15-20 minutes to complete.
- It is very convenient to keep voltage/frequency curve editor window open while the scanner is running. V/F curve editor is showing you current GPU clock and voltage levels with horizontal/vertical dotted lines directly on the curve in real time (2070MHz / 975mV on the previous screenshot). This way you can visually control the process of scanning, so you always know which point of voltage/frequency curve is currently being tested or overclocked. In scan mode it doesn’t try to overclock each point independently, as it would take much more time than just 20 minutes. Instead of doing so, it is detecting working range of voltages on the first stage, split this voltage range on a few fixed parts (4 key points on the screenshot above) then try to find the maximum possible overclock for each of those key points by fixing the voltage in each point and slowly increasing the clock until instability is detected. You can see this process on the previous screenshot as well on jigsaw core clock graph. Each tooth of this jigsaw is the process of finding the maximum possible clock for each of 4 key points. Once the maximum stable overclocking is detected in each key point, the scanner is building whole curve by linear interpolation between the points and sending result to MSI Afterburner.

Dear forum visitors,

I shared my impressions about NVIDIA Scanner technology from software developers’s point of view. Now I’d like to post the impressions from end user and overclocker POV.
I was never a real fan of automated overclocking because the reliability was always the weakest spot of overclocking process automation. NVIDIA Scanner is not a revolution like many newsmakers are calling it simply because different forms of automatic overclocking already existed in both NVIDIA and AMD drivers for couple decades, if not more (for example NVIDIA had it inside since CoolBits era, AMD had it in Overdrive). However, it was more like a toy and marketing thing, ignored by serious overclockers because everybody used to the fact that traditionally it crashed much more than it actually worked. Different third party tools also tried to implement their own solutions for automating the process of overclocking (the best of them is excellent ATITool by my old good friend w1zzard), but reliability of result was also the key problem.
So I was skeptical about new NVIDIA Scanner too and had serious doubts on including it into MSI Afterburner. However, I changed my mind after trying it in action on my own system with MSI RTX 2080 Ventus card. Yes, it is not a revolution but it is an evolution of this technology for sure. During approximately 2 weeks of development, I run a few hundreds of automatic overclocking detection sessions. None of them resulted in a system crash during overclocking detection. None of them resulted in wrongly detecting abnormally high clocks as stable ones. The worst thing I could observe during automatic overclocking detection was GPU hang recovered during scanning process, and the scanner was always able to continue scanning after recovering GPU at software level and lower the clocks until finding stable result. In all cases it detected repeatable approximately +170MHz GPU overclocking of my system, resulting in GPU clock floating in 2050-2100MHz range during 3D applications runtime after applying such overclocking. Even for the worst case (i.e. potential system crash during overclocking detection) Scanner API contains the recovery mechanisms, meaning that you may simply click “Scan” one more time after rebooting the system and it will continue scanning from the point before crash. But I simply couldn’t even make it crash to test such case and emulated it by killing OC scanner process during automatic overclocking detection. So embedded NVIDIA workload and test algorithms used inside the Scanner API look really promising for me. And it will be interesting to read impressions of the rest overclockers and RTX 2080 card owners who try NVIDIA Scanner in action in nearest days/weeks.

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/rtss-6-7-0-beta-1.412822/page-67#post-5582977
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/rtss-6-7-0-beta-1.412822/page-68#post-5585936

So auto overclocking actually looks Good. Not Epic but good enough for most. That dont have weeks of time to play around like Me :D

Last edited:
Associate
Watercooled Pascal Titan 2700x@4250 @1.425 volts NO V drop. Show me system with 1 card that cabn pull more with screenshot :) This is my Daily 24/7

Cheers . just using your system as a gauge for my own . currently have a 2700 at 1.3 for 4ghz again no vdroop . and have a 2080 coming ... So slightly more effienct in principle then your card. Seeing if I can get by on my modest 450w until next month when I'll.be a new PSU

Caporegime
There have been oc "scanners" in the past but they generally just crashed the program or pc if they found an instability. If this new one can do what they claim and dial in an oc without much chance of crashing it'll be a nice bonus.

Back
Top Bottom