• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Soldato
The problem with the 10XX series of cards is they were not sold at RRP. By the time they got released the trend came with that RRP got ignored by retailers and distributors.

Soldato
It isn't entirely wide of the mark - one of the reasons I have the 1070 - but I don't think it is a perfect fit either - the original G92 release was a bit of a funny one in some respects and didn't have products in the same tiers as Pascal does.

Yeah, because they used that same chip for high end and mid range cards. Which itself was just a die shrink of the G80 chip. It's part of the reason the 8800 GT and the 9 series were so cheap.

Soldato
The problem with the 10XX series of cards is they were not sold at RRP. By the time they got released the trend came with that RRP got ignored by retailers and distributors.

That comes into it too. I can't remember gouging been this bad back around the time of the 8800 cards. When did this all begin?

Soldato
That comes into it too. I can't remember gouging been this bad back around the time of the 8800 cards. When did this all begin?

It seemed to come in just before pascal release, the maxwell stock was deliberately lowered in supply chains which raised its price and then pascal came in with supply issues from day 1 and was overpriced at launch.

Soldato
Well quick check on techpower up of 2080 zotac amp edition running at 1900mhz puts it approx 5- 10 fps faster on average than founders card at 1440p

There are some enticing deals at the moment on cards with a clock of 1710MHz. £40 more for 1800MHz and another £10-£20 on that for 1830MHz.

Hard to know if it's worth the extra £70.

Associate
There are some enticing deals at the moment on cards with a clock of 1710MHz. £40 more for 1800MHz and another £10-£20 on that for 1830MHz.

Hard to know if it's worth the extra £70.
I always thought the advertised clock speeds are guaranteed values but they often go much higher. My 1080ti hits 2ghz out of the box on water and the advertised speed is around 1700.You may get better cooler aswell. I typically get best in class model but it's probably not worth the extra money.

Caporegime
I always thought the advertised clock speeds are guaranteed values but they often go much higher. My 1080ti hits 2ghz out of the box on water and the advertised speed is around 1700.You may get better cooler aswell. I typically get best in class model but it's probably not worth the extra money.
They guarantee those clock speeds. AMD were caught out with stating clocks of XXXXMhz but would end up much lower.

Back
Top Bottom