• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Associate
Ah, I misread and thought @razorpakk said beat not match. :p

I guess it will depend on what the 11 series is based as I guess Maxwell/Pascal has been pushed to the limit already and if this is another speed bump and tweak of that family, we might not see the same level of gains.

If it really is Volta based, all bets are off :D

Associate
Have we ever been surprised by performance though?
Most new gens always had similar bumps in performance (which is what a company does when they have no competition and can target precise performance bumps for given price brackets).

I'm expecting to pay 650/700£ for a good AIB 1180 which will be 20% faster than the 1080Ti.

I've been following pc gaming since the 9700pro/ti4600 era, I'm pretty much sure that's what we'll get.

I mean this isn't about engineers giving us the best card they can for a given price.
This is their marketing research team telling them the safest way to make money. We could write the 1180 review today and be right on most things.

Soldato
Most new gens always had similar bumps in performance (which is what a company does when they have no competition and can target precise performance bumps for given price brackets).

I'm expecting to pay 650/700£ for a good AIB 1180 which will be 20% faster than the 1080Ti.

I've been following pc gaming since the 9700pro/ti4600 era, I'm pretty much sure that's what we'll get.

I mean this isn't about engineers giving us the best card they can for a given price.
This is their marketing research team telling them the safest way to make money. We could write the 1180 review today and be right on most things.

20% faster than a 1080ti for £650. Although still very expensive would be pretty good considering recent prices.

Associate

Let's be honest, this is Nvidia we're talking about. They could move everything up one tier + 5% improvement across the range, a fan blower that smells of farts and people would lap it up, proclaim them an unmitigated success and heap praise upon Jensen as the supreme leader :D

Last edited:
Associate
After 2 years there's many people stuck with 1070 or 1080s who are waiting...

I'm sure it'll be what we expect. Would be nice if AMD shook everything up like they did for CPUs.

Associate
After 2 years there's many people stuck with 1070 or 1080s who are waiting...

I'm sure it'll be what we expect. Would be nice if AMD shook everything up like they did for CPUs.

I don't understand why those people would be complaining, those cards aren't rubbish. There's no need for them to have any kind of buyers remorse for buying substandard GPUs, they still perform great.

The only reason for them to need to change to the latest is purely for epeen, ego stroking, keeping up with the Jones' mentality and the fear of being looked down on by their epeen friends.

If the 1070/80 that they bought is no good now in their eyes, why buy it in the first place :p

Associate
I don't understand why those people would be complaining, those cards aren't rubbish. There's no need for them to have any kind of buyers remorse for buying substandard GPUs, they still perform great.

The only reason for them to need to change to the latest is purely for epeen, ego stroking, keeping up with the Jones' mentality and the fear of being looked down on by their epeen friends.

If the 1070/80 that they bought is no good now in their eyes, why buy it in the first place :p

1070 was perfect for 1440p/60Hz.
Now I have a 165Hz monitor and performance is never enough!
I simply want to experience games in the best possible way (I'm holding off playing Kingdom Come until I get a new GPU for example).

But Pascal pre-mining frenzy and especially pre-brexit (got mine for 400£ at launch) was a good deal.

Last edited:
Associate
1070 was perfect for 1440p/60Hz.
Now I have a 165Hz monitor and performance is never enough!
I simply want to experience games in the best possible way (I'm holding off playing Kingdom Come until I get a new GPU for example).

But Pascal pre-mining frenzy and especially pre-brexit (got mine for 400£ at launch) was a good deal.

Well, 2 yrs is a long time to be saving up so you should be able to jump straight in for an 1180ti ;)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Will be the final nail in PC gaming for many if that's the case.
Nah... Demand will go down, prices will follow, which will lead to demand going back up again. Not like people’s current cards will magically stop working. Just will mean longer upgrade cycles.

Just like with Intel. They could have had more of my money, but they chose to offer little to no performance improvements each gen which meant they got jack instead. I am still happy and rocking my 4770K 5 years on and probably will still be for another 1-2 years.

Associate
OP
No one in their right mind should be paying anything more than £150 for R9 290/R9 390/GTX970/RX480/RX580/GTX1060 level of performance now :o

100% agree! r9 290 launched at what £329? something like that and isn't hardly any slower than RX480 and it's 5 years old. GPU's have become a joke, I'm still content with my 980 Ti after selling my 1080 Ti (y)

Caporegime
100% agree! r9 290 launched at what £329? something like that and isn't hardly any slower than RX480 and it's 5 years old. GPU's have become a joke, I'm still content with my 980 Ti after selling my 1080 Ti (y)

Yup and just before/around 970 release time, the 290s were going for £200/250 and with 4 free games!!!!

Complete madness.

People say to me all the time (and even reading on here) about "just buying a GPU now because prices won't budge or only go up", sorry but nope.... no way in hell. I would sooner buy a GPU from the MM now than see my money go to the retailers/manufacturers, as simple as that.

Back
Top Bottom