Poll: General election voting intentions poll

Voting intentions in the General Election - only use the poll if you intend to vote

• Alliance Party of Northern Ireland

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Conservative

Votes: 287 42.0%
  • Democratic Unionist Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Green Party

Votes: 67 9.8%
  • Labour

Votes: 108 15.8%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 25 3.7%
  • Other party (not named)

Votes: 15 2.2%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Respect Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scottish National Party

Votes: 36 5.3%
  • Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • UKIP

Votes: 137 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I dislike the Liberal Democrats, but I have to defend Clegg on the alleged 'oath breaking'. The Liberal Democrats did not win an election, so how could you possibly expect them to keep their manifesto pledges? They got the best deal they could out of a coalition and do seem to have achieved some policy changes.

It's ultimately the tuition fees thing that's the problem, isn't it? By and large, their supporters understand the rest. But you can't pledge this in your manifesto and not expect a backlash for doing the opposite:

Phase out university tuition fees within six years. Scrap fees for final-year students immediately. Scrap target of 50% of people going to university [England only]

There was no way they were getting to do that, but maybe they shouldn't have supported the change to the new system? I'm not sure. The changes were probably necessary - note that nobody is pledging to reverse them (apart from the Greens, but they seem to believe in money trees).

Suspended
I think PR would actually work quite well now - It'd put paid to a lot of the tactical voting. Coalition governments aren't necessarily a bad thing, in fact I quite like the fact that the Lib Dems have pulled in the reins on some of the more unsavoury Conservative ideas.

I honestly think that Labour getting back in to power would be disastrous for the country. So many shockingly short memories around.

At the end of the day we all just have to be selfish and vote for whoever we think will screw us over the least.

Caporegime
It's ultimately the tuition fees thing that's the problem, isn't it? By and large, their supporters understand the rest. But you can't pledge this in your manifesto and not expect a backlash for doing the opposite:

It wasn't just the manifesto though, they all signed a pledge to vote against any rise in tuition fees. And they gave it up without even a fight; never even bothered batting for it in the coalition negotiations.

Soldato
LMFAO it's a sand mask. And when was the last time we had a sand storm in Brum? "religious clothing " :D:D:D

Maybe, but it is clearly associated with Islam. So again, would Robgmun have issues if the room had lots of people in it wearing a kippah?

[FnG]magnolia;27587027 said:
Did you go to the right ones? You have to go to that one in London and that other one in Birmingham because those surgeries are indicative of the entire country.

C'mon dude, keep up.

Yeah, lots of surgeries are full of the wrong type of Asians who a clearly using all of the NHS resources...

Soldato
^
This

The amount of people you hear complaining about how their facilities are all being used up by "asians" or "them" is ridiculous when there's a good chance that they're a british citizen just like them.
I doubt you'll get a response to this one though, just another dodge :p

This is where it gets difficult. For some people.

Take for example a family comes over from wherever, doesn't change any of their family cultures/traditions/religions/insert whatever. After 6 months they have a baby and bring it up exactly as they would have back home.

Sure the baby is legally British now but many people wouldn't see it that way.

Im sure this will get torn to pieces but this is how many people view things.
How many generations does it take to make them "British"? I don't know.

Associate
This is where it gets difficult. For some people.

Take for example a family comes over from wherever, doesn't change any of their family cultures/traditions/religions/insert whatever. After 6 months they have a baby and bring it up exactly as they would have back home.

Im sure this will get torn to pieces but this is how many people view things.
How many generations does it take to make them "British"? I don't know.

Good post and quite correct.

Soldato

How would you see my grandson who was born in England but is half-Polish? He is being raised with feet in both cultures, but I'm guessing because he is white he will be seen as British whereas the Asians used as an example in Robgmun's post won't even if they are British born.

Soldato
Just because you're born in this country does not make you legally British.

Ok but you get the spirit of the post.

How would you see my grandson who was born in England but is half-Polish? He is being raised with feet in both cultures, but I'm guessing because he is white he will be seen as British whereas the Asians used as an example in Robgmun's post won't even if they are British born.

Im not speaking from a personal perspective here but I don't know, half English?

I don't think its about colour of skin but would probably agree a lot of it is on image. Other cultures tend to stand out, or they used to.

Not agreeing or disagreeing with anything, just saying how I THINK people view things.

Man of Honour
Ok but you get the spirit of the post.

Not really. If you are British then you need other ties, most likely through one of you parents which means British culture is harder to avoid and be ingrained in you. Add the fact that the child is likely to get a lot of their culture from school and the point that you can be British whilst having none of the culture is harder to imagine.

Soldato
Im not speaking from a personal perspective here but I don't know, half English?.

That's my point. Because he looks British (you'd only know he was half-Polish when he is older because he can speak Polski and has a soft spot for pierogi) whereas you could get a child born to two native British people of Asian descent who some people assume is a Johnny Foreigner because they don't look British.

You could go into a surgery full of Poles (or Lativans or French or whatever) and wouldn't get posts like Robgmun's (unless they were all speaking in their native tongue) saying GP surgeries are full of *insert type here* and I wonder why that is? :D

Soldato
Green Party said:
Britain will leave NATO, end the special relationship with the US, and unilaterally abandon nuclear weapons. A standing army, navy and airforce is “unnecessary”. Bases will be turned into nature reserves and the arms industry “converted” to producing windturbines.
:eek: Are they for real? LOL :D :rolleyes:

Associate
[FnG]magnolia;27586959 said:
Tell me UKIP's main 5 policies. You have 5 minutes from this timestamp which is 1 minute per policy. Does that sound fair?

Only just saw your challenge to Errol and i can list 5 off the top of my head, here goe,s:

1 Repeal the most expensive act of parliament ever passed, the climate change act.
2 Allow smoking in seperate areas of pubs and clubs.
3 Not to bow to big pharma and allow E-cigs to be over regulated or banned.
4 Leave the EU.
5 Stop health tourism.

Im not sure how to class what their "main" policies are but all the above make sense to me.

Man of Honour
Only just saw your challenge to Errol and i can list 5 off the top of my head, here goe,s:

1 Repeal the most expensive act of parliament ever passed, the climate change act.
2 Allow smoking in seperate areas of pubs and clubs.
3 Not to bow to big pharma and allow E-cigs to be over regulated or banned.
4 Leave the EU.
5 Stop health tourism.

Im not sure how to class what their "main" policies are but all the above make sense to me.

I disagree with pretty much every one of those bar the last one with caveats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom