Poll: General election voting intentions poll

Voting intentions in the General Election - only use the poll if you intend to vote

• Alliance Party of Northern Ireland

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Conservative

Votes: 287 42.0%
  • Democratic Unionist Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Green Party

Votes: 67 9.8%
  • Labour

Votes: 108 15.8%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 25 3.7%
  • Other party (not named)

Votes: 15 2.2%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Respect Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scottish National Party

Votes: 36 5.3%
  • Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • UKIP

Votes: 137 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
With the election only a few weeks away, it now seems likely we'll have Labour / SNP coalition... which would likely make Alex Salmond deputy PM!

Man of Honour
With the election only a few weeks away, it now seems likely we'll have Labour / SNP coalition... which would likely make Alex Salmond deputy PM!

Which will subsequently implode when they try and screw England. It would be funny to watch from the outside, less so when you're stuck in the middle. It will happen even quicker if labour is not the biggest party, which is looking quite likely.

Soldato
You don't think Labour will be biggest party? The polls are suggesting Labour will have more seats than the Conservatives (even though vote share is similar) and the SNP will be way larger (twice) the next largest party.

Caporegime

Even if there's a Labour/SNP coalition, there's no rule that means the leader of the junior coalition partner has to become the Deputy PM. In fact there's no reason why you have to have a Deputy PM in the first place - I think it was only introduced by Labour post-1997 to give John Prescott something unimportant to do :p Also, Salmond hasn't even been elected yet - I dunno if he would automatically become leader of the parliamentary SNP either.

Soldato
...there's no rule that means the leader of the junior coalition partner has to become the Deputy PM...

Indeed! There's also no rule that the leader of the majority party has to be PM, they may decide Salmond would make the better statesman, and make him PM! :p

That Salmond will get elected, and be the leader of a large group of SNP MPs in Westminster is one of the few things we can be near certain of.

Man of Honour
You don't think Labour will be biggest party? The polls are suggesting Labour will have more seats than the Conservatives (even though vote share is similar) and the SNP will be way larger (twice) the next largest party.

I think it is very much up in the air, part of the reason for labour's over representation is the smaller size of Scottish constituencies. If they lose most of them, the race changes significantly.

I am not the only one who thinks so, 3 out of 5 projections on the below site show the same.

http://may2015.com/category/seat-calculator/

Caporegime
Which will subsequently implode when they try and screw England. It would be funny to watch from the outside, less so when you're stuck in the middle. It will happen even quicker if labour is not the biggest party, which is looking quite likely.

The idea of a Labour/SNP pact is pretty horrifying. A coalition would likely be disastrous but a weaker alliance would "merely" weaken the union in the longer term and stoke English resentment.

It's a disturbingly likely possibility, however. Elections Etc have started carrying a prediction as to what the likely coalitions in a hung parliament are. At the time of writing their top prediction is a 25% chance of a Lab/LD pairing and a 22% chance of a Lab/SNP pairing - on the principle that Lab would likely prefer to pair with the LDs than the SNP; personally, I'm not sure how sound that prediction is. I wonder whether the LDs will have become just so toxic as a brand it's hard for Labour to work with them whilst the likelyhood of high profile LDs losing their seats (*fingers crossed* perhaps including Clegg) may make forming a sensible coalition agreement difficult to do.

Personally, I'm not sure how much difference Labour being the smaller party would make, especially if its just smaller on votes. The press is so hostile to Ed Miliband anyway that I don't think they'll be able to create much more purchase than they already have.

Soldato

How did you work that one out? Its Nicola Sturgeon whos the SNP leader now.

Either way we're screwed. Hard Left in a coalition with the soft-ish Left. Tax, tax, tax, spend, spend, spend. Euro bailout here we come. Maybe we can merge our debts with Greece's, at least that way we might get cheap holidays in the Sun.

I think it is very much up in the air, part of the reason for labour's over representation is the smaller size of Scottish constituencies.

This is why I wish the SNP had won the referendum they could have sailed off into the sunset with their (dwindling) oil reserves... until they come back cap in hand for a massive bailout which Westminster would do like they did with the Republic of Ireland even though they already won their referendum, er I mean Easter Rising.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Miliband, Balls and Harman do a fantastic job in putting me off voting Labour.

Labour's authoritarianism and passionate devotion to promoting and imposing irrational prejudice and discrimination as strongly as their power allows them to do puts me off voting for them and would do even if they were fronted by less unappealing people.

Caporegime
Either way we're screwed. Hard Left in a coalition with the soft-ish Left. Tax, tax, tax, spend, spend, spend.

Hard Left? The SNP? Don't make me laugh. The SNP will simply say and do anything it thinks will be popular. Before the crash, Salmond's plan was to make Scotland a low tax haven with big corporation tax cuts to lure in companies in a race to the bottom with the other EU nations. Their current platform is to talk about higher spending and probably more taxation (when they're not pretending oil will solve everything) but don't make the mistake of believing that this is any kind of core belief for the SNP.

Euro bailout here we come. Maybe we can merge our debts with Greece's, at least that way we might get cheap holidays in the Sun.

Don't be silly. We are not now, and have never been, at any risk of a Greek style failure.

Soldato
Judging by the way posters on OCUK forum voted against how they voted in 2010 vs the real world, the outcome of the 2015 election indicates a Labour victory in a minority Govt. with a choice between the Libs and or PC and the SNP.

For those moaning about regional parties the Tories have always counted on the Ulster Unionists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom