Poll: General election voting round 4

Voting intentions in the General Election?

• Alliance Party of Northern Ireland

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Conservative

Votes: 276 39.5%
  • Democratic Unionist Party

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Green Party

Votes: 41 5.9%
  • Labour

Votes: 125 17.9%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 50 7.2%
  • Not voting/will spoil ballot

Votes: 33 4.7%
  • Other party (not named)

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • Respect Party

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Scottish National Party

Votes: 31 4.4%
  • Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • UKIP

Votes: 128 18.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
And now it seems that the much touted economic recovery that the coalition had finally managed after the long, long period of stagnant growth is already dissipating with GDP growth down to 0.3%: m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32493745.

We're back to sub-trend growth on both the monthly and annual scale. Does anyone still believe the OBR's optimistic predictions for growth in 2015?

Last edited:
They wouldn't be beaten on every vote :confused:. The Scotch have said they won't vote on English only matters, for example. Then there will be legislation that a majority agree with anyway. A lot could be voted down, but that doesn't mean everything would be... and the SNP might like the idea of the Tories being in power as it helps with their end goal of independence ('ooo, evil Tories in power :mad:')/they might be able to get more devolved powers from a ConDem government in exchange for not spoiling everything...

Good luck passing a budget :rolleyes:

Those numbers point to a Conservative government of any form being highly improbable. There wouldn't be enough support in the House for one unless they managed to get some of the left to abstain. If they did pull off that miracle, they'd still have issues on critical votes. Essentially, they'd only be able to win support for legislation that has broad support or that is 'England only' (when the SNP mentioned this they did specify that such legislation must have no knock-on effect on Scotland in order for them to abstain, which means they're likely to vote on most things anyway).

Nate Silver's numbers point to one of three likely governments; a Labour minority government that seeks support from a minimum 53 LD/SNP/Plaid/Green MPs at every vote, a Labour/Lib Dem coalition that does the same thing but only needs the support of at least 29 MPs, and (outside chance) a Labour/Tory grand coalition. While the last one is unlikely, pre 2010 most would have said a Tory/LD coalition was equally unbelievable. The two parties came together 'in the national interest' as it was the only way to form a stable government. The same could well be true of a CON/LAB coalition.

Last edited:
Good luck passing a budget :rolleyes:

Those numbers point to a Conservative government of any form being highly improbable. There wouldn't be enough support in the House for one unless they managed to get some of the left to abstain. If they did pull off that miracle, they'd still have issues on critical votes. Essentially, they'd only be able to win support for legislation that has broad support or that is 'England only' (when the SNP mentioned this they did specify that such legislation must have no knock-on effect on Scotland in order for them to abstain, which means they're likely to vote on most things anyway).

Nate Silver's numbers point to one of three likely governments; a Labour minority government that seeks support from a minimum 53 LD/SNP/Plaid/Green MPs at every vote, a Labour/Lib Dem coalition that does the same thing but only needs the support of at least 29 MPs, and (outside chance) a Labour/Tory grand coalition. While the last one is unlikely, pre 2010 most would have said a Tory/LD coalition was equally unbelievable. The two parties came together 'in the national interest' as it was the only way to form a stable government. The same could well be true of a CON/LAB coalition.

Though it won't happen I'd *much* prefer to see a grand coalition than any other government propped up with SNP support. The SNP for me represent the biggest threat to our nation and the thought of them in government sends shivers down my spine. Cameron has made a major balls up by bigging up the SNP and history will not judge him kindly for it.

It depends how the SNP want to play it. Because there's also a gamble if they informally support a LibLab coalition and that fails with the right and left elements disagreeing and we have another election fairly quickly, so in order to avoid that they might not spoil a ConDem coalition in exchange for more devolved powers (twinned with some kind of English votes for English laws 'thing', given it'd help them on their way to independence).

It could play into the hands of the SNP doing that, with them also being able to say, 'ooo, the evil Tories are in. We tried forming a coaltion with Labour, but they told us where to go - evil, out of touch Westminster :(:(:( (FREEDOMMMMM :mad:)'.

And they're not Nate Silver's numbers.

Please explain how that would actually work in practice. Are the SNP going to abstain every time they disagree with the government, while then complaining North of the border about the results of votes that they abstained from voting on? Yeah, that'll work :rolleyes:

Bear in mind there's a Scottish Parliamentary Election next year. The SNP will be wanting to win that. Your proposition would make them hypocrites and a very easy target for Scottish Labour et all.

Though it won't happen I'd *much* prefer to see a grand coalition than any other government propped up with SNP support. The SNP for me represent the biggest threat to our nation and the thought of them in government sends shivers down my spine. Cameron has made a major balls up by bigging up the SNP and history will not judge him kindly for it.

That's because you've been listening to the press instead of listening to what they are actually saying.
The SNP have been in government in scotland for some time, and in a minority government before that - they know how to govern - the independence debate is over and past, you'll find that the majority of new snp members are well aware of this and if scotland is going to be part of the UK then it wants some strong representation in the parliament.

(i'm not an snp voter/supporter btw, just sick of the lazy "nationalist" stereotypes banded about in the press - if you look into the snp's record away from the independence debate it makes for a more interesting proposition)

The odds on a Grand Coalition have been shortening consistently for months. It's still an outside chance, bit I'm glad I got my bet in early.

Wow so many UKIP voters....

Which policies does UKIP want to remove from Brussels apart form immigration?

What % of the UK population is made up of immigrants?

What % of EU immigrants are unemployed? and what % of the UK population is it?

Also which policies do you think that Brussels has control of that should be transferred back into UK hands?

Wow so many UKIP voters....

Which policies does UKIP want to remove from Brussels apart form immigration?

What % of the UK population is made up of immigrants?

Also which policies do you think that Brussels has control of that should be transferred back into UK hands?

That is a bit silly is it not?

Does it matter what % of the UK population is? That is a differant matter that needs to be addressed too. But adding to the unemplyed number when it can be helped is plain crazy.

Yes.....

Yes it does. :)

You tried to read the last 700 comments it makes for a snooze fest with Robgum and freak trading insults for the most part.

I know nothing of UKIP's policies and the only thing I read from its supporters is immigration and we want our rights back from Brussels.

That's why I posed these questions as they are the only two things I read from supporters.

EDIT. Just wanted to add that for me personally taxation and education and job creation would be the main policy deciders.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom