Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire - March 29th, 2024

Soldato
Really? I thought it was fantastic and still do after many rewatches. A nice nod to the classic era and tribute to Harold and Egon. It also wrapped up for good the Gozer era. Also welcoming in the new cast via Egon was spot on. Now this film will be a proper passing of the torch.
I thought it was utterly bland, a soulless cardboard cutout by the numbers Marvel-alike with a smear of nostalgia spread over the top. The characters are so utterly devoid of any character, completely failing to understand or capture any of what make the original film so great.

Man of Honour
Afterlife was just a bit embarrassing after all the criticism of the 2016 film by being no better (it’s worse IMO). But I am looking forward to Frozen Empire.

For me, afterlife was like walking endlessly into the desert, seeing the same things we’ve seen before over and over and over again. The ‘passing of the torch’, ‘setting up sequels’ and ‘origin story’ triple threat makes me physically ache. NooOoOooO!

The emphasis on nostalgia / ‘memberberries was horrible - finding a chocolate bar wrapper, really? They were really aiming low with that one… in fact, they do it twice with the finding of a Twinkie.

The threat being the same as the first film (and the awkward ending) made me feel they deliberately designed the film to be as ‘safe’ as possible. It was just so… shameless.

But!!! The cast were pretty good and I’m keen to see them doing something different, with hopefully a bit more imagination. My wish list:

- please focus on new content, no more self-referential rubbish.
- please leave Egon alone.
- please, please… no boring subplot about whether anyone wants to be a ghostbuster, before eventually realising, yes, they DO want to be a ghostbuster and save their friends. Zzzzzzzz.

Soldato
Afterlife was just a bit embarrassing after all the criticism of the 2016 film by being no better (it’s worse IMO). But I am looking forward to Frozen Empire.

For me, afterlife was like walking endlessly into the desert, seeing the same things we’ve seen before over and over and over again. The ‘passing of the torch’, ‘setting up sequels’ and ‘origin story’ triple threat makes me physically ache. NooOoOooO!

The emphasis on nostalgia / ‘memberberries was horrible - finding a chocolate bar wrapper, really? They were really aiming low with that one… in fact, they do it twice with the finding of a Twinkie.

The threat being the same as the first film (and the awkward ending) made me feel they deliberately designed the film to be as ‘safe’ as possible. It was just so… shameless.

But!!! The cast were pretty good and I’m keen to see them doing something different, with hopefully a bit more imagination. My wish list:

- please focus on new content, no more self-referential rubbish.
- please leave Egon alone.
- please, please… no boring subplot about whether anyone wants to be a ghostbuster, before eventually realising, yes, they DO want to be a ghostbuster and save their friends. Zzzzzzzz.
I'm sure you will get all your wishes in this one. Afterlife was really a nod to the past for nostalgia and to bring the franchise back. It was over 30 years since GB 2 and they wanted to get people to remember the characters and why people love ghostbuster. Also to pay tribute to Harold Ramis, with the story written by the original films directors son. Who gave the film his blessing and was on set for a lot of filming. Harold's family also were happy with how Egon was portrayed and given a send off.

Going forward this is now post Gozer and its all new threats with new ghosts. Yes there will still be a bit of nostalgia as the ogs suit up and are still a major part of the plot. But this is very much to be the full passing of the torch.

Trailer is due at 2pm.

Caporegime

So one of the packs at one point has an opened up cyclotron, vaguely similar to what Adam savage built. Also, frozen particle beams at one point so that pack must be a suped up version.

Looks interesting, though not sure about pecks spiel at the start about there being no eye witnesses to them saving the world, plenty seen Stay Puft walking down the street and scaling a building.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks incredible. Peck as Mayor is interesting. All hands on too, everyone suited up. Must be a lot of stuff happening. Library ghost back too.

Looks to be some epic comedy moments too.

Caporegime
Looks incredible. Peck as Mayor is interesting. All hands on too, everyone suited up. Must be a lot of stuff happening. Library ghost back too.

Looks to be some epic comedy moments too.

Mayor, or some kind of Judge, the overruled, sustained thing doesn't make a lot of sense otherwise.

Soldato
James Acaster is about the only actor i'm unsure of from watching the trailers; i like him as a comedian but he/his character accent seems a bit jarring against everyone else. The rest of it looks awesome though and will definitely be watching this at the cinema :cool:

Caporegime
Already seeing some complaints along the lines of 'omg, someone gets frozen to death and shattered in the trailer, this isn't my ghostbusters!!!' :rolleyes:

Apparently unaware that someone got torn in half in afterlife, though whether he was actually properly alive or not is up for debate.

Man of Honour
I think I’ll be in New York when this is out so will use that as an excuse to see it :)

… don’t fancy being ‘spoiled’ by the trailers though - I’ve seen some recently that seem to reveal the whole film! Might as well wait for the film.

Caporegime
… don’t fancy being ‘spoiled’ by the trailers though - I’ve seen some recently that seem to reveal the whole film! Might as well wait for the film.

That's basically every trailer these days, its like an a-b-c of points in the film and its easy to figure out their order and get an idea of how things will go.

Movie trailers these days show far too much, the studios are so **** scared of losing money they basically have to blow their load in making numerous trailers and show off virtually every aspect of the movie. In the original GB trailer, Stay Puft wasn't shown and was a big surprise for cinema goers, that wouldn't happen these days, surprises are few and far between.

Back
Top Bottom