• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gibbo is getting an R600!!

Ulfhedjinn said:
If that's real then either R600 isn't really that great, or Vista ruins 3D Mark scores.

Why does it say "R600 Series" and not 2900 Series though? Seems a bit dodgy that. :confused:
Its not the latest drivers for a start. Could explain the description and the apparent lack of performance.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=525&Itemid=1

The new Radeon HD 2900 XT driver saves the day. Only with the new driver the card is really faster than the six month old Geforce 8800 GTX.

We only know a few examples, such as Need for Speed Carbon, where the R600XT scores 10 to 17 percent better than Geforce 8800 GTX. The previous 8.35 was not that good and the R600XT was close to G80 GTX but not better. With new 8.361 which is supposed to be the launch driver the scores are even better on ATI hardware.

Looks like ATI still has an ace of spade in its sleeve.

Last edited:
Seems to me it's a bit of a non story really. If benchmarks are to be believed the R600 family may be around the same or a little quicker than the 8800GTX. It would seem to be in the order that unless you live for benchmarks you're unlikely to see the difference day to day between the two.

People that bought GTX on release have paid more but have had 6 months extra use from a card they needed at the time.

R600 based cards may have a edge for a few months but ATI has fallen so far behind time wise Nvidia will almost certainly have a R600 beater in the wings for Q4.

Of course then R600 V2 (or whatever it will be) won't be far behind.

So, it looks like there's not going to be a outright winner for a while, except for consumers who will benefit from the reduced prices and driver optimisations that gets driven by a close run competition.

Just my 2p worth...

Tom|Nbk said:
Likewise and with the XT coming in @ GTS price, tis a great bang for buck.
They'll have to drop the GTX price won't they, its unbalanced. It'll be the same old swings and roundabouts scenario. Better at some, worse at others. With everyone waiting for the next definitive leader. Very clever.

fornowagain said:
http://www.fx57.net/?p=584

E6600@default (2,4GHz)
R600@Catalyst 8.351
3DMark06@default

Skor: 9685
sm2: 4376
sm3: 4807
CPU: 2055

Hi there

Those results seem very low, plus my card was not recognised as an R600 series which makes it seem more dodgy.

However I was using newer drivers and did have a Quad Core CPU at 3.00GHz. :)

Also 3D Mark refused to run for me unless I used the nosysteminfo command due to 3D mark basically not knowing what an R600 is, which makes those results seem dodgy to myself as that guy clearly did not have the 3D Mark loading issues, unless its due to the older drivers he was using???

Gibbo said:
Hi there

Those results seem very low, plus my card was not recognised as an R600 series which makes it seem more dodgy.

However I was using newer drivers and did have a Quad Core CPU at 3.00GHz. :)

Also 3D Mark refused to run for me unless I used the nosysteminfo command due to 3D mark basically not knowing what an R600 is, which makes those results seem dodgy to myself as that guy clearly did not have the 3D Mark loading issues, unless its due to the older drivers he was using???
Could be, could be.. Now if you'd just give us the numbers....

fornowagain said:
They'll have to drop the GTX price won't they, its unbalanced. It'll be the same old swings and roundabouts scenario. Better at some, worse at others. With everyone waiting for the next definitive leader. Very clever.

NV don't do price drops. :p

Gibbo said:
Hi there
my card was not recognised as an R600 series which makes it seem more dodgy.

I remember you saying that so that was my first thought as well. Even so, if it's on a par with the GTX but costs a lot less then it's surely a winner!

Back
Top Bottom