• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gibbo is getting an R600!!

Soldato
megatron said:
Not really, read the quote from Gibbo in my last post; if he doesnt have the game or a link to a freely available download (i.e. demo), then he isnt going to test it. Remember he is in OcUK and not in same secret aladins cave of every game released for PC.
Gibbo said:
Hi there

I think I need a game thats really gonna make these cards sweat.

I want something thats gonna get down to single figures.

I have the system on a DELL 24" so can display upto 1920x1200 resolution.
Maybe someone will be kind enough to let him borrow there copy of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas for testing...

Last edited:
Soldato
Pictures and 3dmark 06/quick few remarks on the heat and temps/Fan noise and if it worked on the Corsair 620 p/s is ok and think were all fine ;)

So we can edit the thread and say Gibbo has his R600 now? :)

Caporegime
He hasn't, hes testing a GTX, R600 is arriving Thursday if all goes to plan. :)

All i want to know is if the drivers are better than Nvidia's crap, if so thats me sold, dont care how much, how much power it needs, or if it sounds like a jet taking off, as long as it works with decent drivers it'll do me and i can get rid of this Nvidia crap. :D :D

Thats for XP as well, don't give a bugger about Vista or Dx10 as Dx10 is not here for months, R600 = Dx9. :D

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
LoadsaMoney said:
He hasn't, hes testing a GTX, R600 is arriving Thursday if all goes to plan. :)

All i want to know is if the drivers are better than Nvidia's crap, if so thats me sold, dont care how much, how much power it needs, or if it sounds like a jet taking off, as long as it works with decent drivers it'll do me and i can get rid of this Nvidia crap. :D :D

Thats for XP as well, don't give a bugger about Vista or Dx10 as Dx10 is not here for months, R600 = Dx9. :D

Hi there

Well forgetting NVIDIA's supposedly poor Vista performance when it comes to drivers I do preferre ATI implementation plus the fact they release a driver update every month addressing most reported problems with games.

Caporegime
Gibbo said:
Hi there

Well forgetting NVIDIA's supposedly poor Vista performance when it comes to drivers I do preferre ATI implementation plus the fact they release a driver update every month addressing most reported problems with games.

Gibbo,

Have you the card now actually installed in a pc?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I aint reading 11 pages lol ;)

Caporegime
Gibbo said:
Hi there

Agreed, now thats the way to support your cards Nvidia, take a note. :)

Even their XP support is abysmal, only 3x official sets of drivers in over 5 months , and those are nothing to write home about, its not good enough at all, fantastic cards the 8800's, but going to waste due to Nvidia's lack of support, such a shame.

Soldato
Maybe Loadsa doesn't want to know the rest, but I do ;)

If you could give some comparisons for noise and under load case temps generated by the R600 in relation to the GTX it would be useful too .... TBH I feel confident the speeds are not going to be enough different to make any odds, but ATI driver support is what will swing it for me and others, noise and heat are also part of the consideration for me :)

I know the 8800GTX is very quiet, I also believe its not very efficient at getting the heat from the case despite the exhaust cooling set-up.
I expect the R600 GPU to run a little hotter, ATi tend to always do that, but is the cooling solution better at taking it out of the case ? and does this result in a noisier solution ?
This would all be nice to know :)

@ Wozzer ... I very much doubt it will make good shuttle material ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Vogon said:
@ Wozzer ... I very much doubt it will make good shuttle material ;)
Suely it can't be worst then having a 8800gtx in a shuttle like i have

Then again..My 8800gtx runs much cooler and quieter in my shuttle then my x1900xt-x ever did..

Associate
Yeah, precisely my thinking, the R600 is shorter in retail guise than the GTX so better case cooling through the side vents.

Just the benchmarks and stability now.

Caporegime
run 3dmark with the best cpu you have as it will be least cpu limited, however bear in mind that you might still be limited in 3dmark with stock clocks, its impossible to say really, though you could if you have the pro version change the res/aa/af levels so its completely gpu limited, if you're hitting 12k now and you up the res so the 8800gtx is only hitting 6k you know you aren't cpu limited type situation, then compare that to the r600 at same resolutions.

there are games you can test, it really doesn't matter all that much, just up the resolution and quality levels until the fps drops enough to know you're mainly gpu limited. its hard to say what levels of performance to expect. hl2 stress test or the cs:s test(can't remember which the test is in) should be fine, you can use a 8800gtx to get 250fps at 1680x1050 with every setting max but little to no aa, and drop that down hugely with aa enabled to very high levels. testing at that no aa setting is pointless as its mostly cpu limited, but with 16xaa you're looking at 130fps maybe, and you know the system can cope with 250fps, so you're not cpu limited.

how drivers cope with games, how new drivers which, lets be fair, if vista is extremely hard to write dx10 working drivers for, and nvidia has a 6 month head start, its not completely fair to look at first set of drivers and gage performance, IQ and buggyness. they might take 6 months to fix like nvidia, they might have it all fixed in a release a month later, though at least you DO know there WILL be a release a month later.

testing a couple games on XP aswell as vista, vista to see if drivers are good, XP really should be a "little" easier to show a hopefully more fair comparison. also, i think nvidia's dx10 demo has a fps counter in it, there are a bunch of options in the thing, if you can record a demo to replay on diff card and compare fps, or if you try and just do the exact same things. its some kind of waterfall test thing, you can add water sources, if you do test it the best way would be start same place, zoom out as far as poss and check framerate, zoom in on same point/angle, check framerate then add as many water sources as it allows and test framerate, do same on both cards and compare. though obviously nvidia may have set a trigger that it can only run with nvidia drivers present or something of that nature.

only 1/2 games you'll find quad core better than dual core, 3dmark, sup com, a couple flight sims and i think thats it, everything else, same cards am2 6000 vs quad core you won't see a big difference at all.

Associate
LoadsaMoney said:
Its also capped at 60fps. :)

Erm, wrong.

I play CoD2 competitively and everyone runs it at 125 FPS in order to do certain jumps etc. Turn vertical sync off in options and then type in console /com_maxfps 125.

I think on DX9 rendering mode with everything maxed out it could test a 8800GTX since it's horribly optimised...not unlike Stalker.

Soldato
Gibbo said:
Hi there

I got Command & Conquer 3 at home, one of the very few games I have, does this have any benchmarking abilities? Or is it not stressful enough?
I think it would be worth a go.... top res with everything up high should give it a challenge, especially with lots of units :)

Soldato
neo202020 said:
I think on DX9 rendering mode with everything maxed out it could test a 8800GTX since it's horribly optimised...not unlike Stalker.

Im not so sure it would, i dont have access to my copy atm but im sure i ran it at at least 8qAA/16AF maxed out at 1600x1200 and noticed zero slowdown. Probobly on very high res it would sweat on the beach scenes.

Back
Top Bottom