Gigabyte EX58 UD5 multiple restart on cold boot

thanks,

please see image below
There's nothing obviously out of place there, multi all look ok, slack ram timings. QPI/Vtt is way way too high, should normally be just a fraction lower than the vcore (6Gb ram), maybe a little higher if you're pushing the ram. With that vcore 1.3v should suffice. I'd nudge the QPI PLL up to 1.2v and bring the IOH core down to 1.2v as well.

For ref:

QPI/Vtt is the uncore voltage (btw Intel's max is 1.35v)

IOH core should normally be similar/same as QPI PLL.

QPI PLL for higher QPI frequencies. Helps sync on-chip memory controller with baseclock.

Last edited:
re:

Hi Mrix,

Good news that it is all working ok for you now.

Did you have a look at which voltages and multipliers were change this time in this Bios F10 version.

Your problem with the memory, did you buy the same memory that you sent back to O/C?

Simon

Hi Simon,
Did you have a look at which voltages and multipliers were change this time in this Bios F10 version.
Have not had a chance to check through settings at the moment but all has been very stable over the past 24 hours.

Your problem with the memory, did you buy the same memory that you sent back to O/C?

I did have a problem with the ram as 1 stick was faulty as I had purchased another set overclockers decided to give me a refund on that faulty set.

Cheers
mrix

re:

they have made some new entrys in bios on the memory side of things as my memory score has gone up from 7.7 to 7.9

Totally the same my score also went up from 7.7 to 7.9;)

temps idle at about 44 degrees which im happy about.

Yes very strange as my temps are 45+ on idle but with a fair bit of load including some video editing it really does not rise that high, never over 55 anyway:confused:
Cheers
mrix

What does Easytune report the actually value as? Auto voltages can be dangerous, they often scale with the vcore and don't report a value. 1.175v is nearer a default value for the stock chip, too low for a 4Ghz overclock. If for instance the VTT was running high and overvolting the on-die memory controller (uncore) this might explain high idle temps.

There's nothing obviously out of place there, multi all look ok, slack ram timings. QPI/Vtt is way way too high, should normally be just a fraction lower than the vcore (6Gb ram), maybe a little higher if you're pushing the ram. With that vcore 1.3v should suffice. I'd nudge the QPI PLL up to 1.2v and bring the IOH core down to 1.2v as well.

For ref:

QPI/Vtt is the uncore voltage (btw Intel's max is 1.35v)

IOH core should normally be similar/same as QPI PLL.

QPI PLL for higher QPI frequencies. Helps sync on-chip memory controller with baseclock.

ive tried making the changes you suggest but then the system refuses to boot for some reason, leaving the settings that oc have provided boots but most games either restart/freeze or even if im burning a cd the pc locksup any ideas? thanks!

Could be faulty F10 cpu temp reading rise from 28C to 36C !! But the core temp had drop by 2 degrees from 71c, 71c, 69c, 69c to 69c, 69c, 67c, 67c !! I am sure of this temperature is reading incorrect after bios F10 upgrade? Also North Bridge temp drop by 2 degrees too.

Been cold boot crashed once this morning with the new F10 (never like that with F7)

Full load 4ghz on F7 is 44C on cpu temp and 71c, 71c, 69c, 69c on core temp (setting same as before on bios F7)
Full load 4ghz on F10 is 52C on cpu temp and 69C, 69C, 67C 67C on core temp (setting same as before on bios F7)

This isn't right on cpu temp a massive 8C increading ??? bug on F10 surely ???

Last edited:
Could be faulty F10 cpu temp reading rise from 28C to 36C !! But the core temp had drop by 2 degrees from 71c, 71c, 69c, 69c to 69c, 69c, 67c, 67c !! I am sure of this temperature is reading incorrect after bios F10 upgrade? Also North Bridge temp drop by 2 degrees too.

Been cold boot crashed once this morning with the new F10 (never like that with F7)

Full load 4ghz on F7 is 44C on cpu temp and 71c, 71c, 69c, 69c on core temp (setting same as before on bios F7)
Full load 4ghz on F10 is 52C on cpu temp and 69C, 69C, 67C 67C on core temp (setting same as before on bios F7)

This isn't right on cpu temp a massive 8C increading ??? bug on F10 surely ???

Goodness me. Did you keep the F7 version, so you can try "downgrade" to it and see if the temps are the same as before you upgraded it. If so, then clearly, there is something going on with the F10 and you'd need to report that to the BIOS manufacturer.

I wonder what's been upgraded/fix patches, between F7 and F10?

ive tried running memtest86 (standard mode) but it hasnt reported any problems any ideas what else could be wrong and why the overclock is so unstable?

I am using the F10 bios, I am not seeing any temperature problems on my system.

Cellpack, when you upgraded the brios from F7 to F10, did you load the optimizes defaults after the bios upgrade as well?.

Last edited:
yep i loaded optimised settings then loaded the overclockers v10 profile but the system is rebooting/freezing when playing games, burning cds etc

The sata (DVD?) is on the Nortbridge aka ICH. Try lowering the QPI multiplier, you have it at 3800MHz or x19. Try a touch more ICH core voltage and a x16 multiplier.

Back
Top Bottom