Gigabyte EX58 UD5 multiple restart on cold boot

Associate
re:

Hi littledave, did you check your overclocked settings once it rebooted? did your overclock stay at the default of 4ghz.
What I found was that once it rebooted it reverted back to standard clock settings.
I have heard the F9 bios does stop these issues but the only reason I purchased the bundle was because it was already overclocked and saved me the headache.
If I cant get an updated bios that actually works at 4ghz, then I`ll be sending it back soon.
Cheers
mrix

Associate
I posted earlier in this thread. I'm in exactly the same boat, I purchased the i7 920 bundle overclocked to 3.8GHz, purely because I didn't want to mess around with overclocking settings. Although I admit I seem to have got lucky as I got it when on special offer of £550 a couple of months ago, I can't belive how much the prices have gone up.

My board has the cold reboots, but doesn't appear to reset to the standard clock settings, as if I run Prime IPL tests the Core speed ramps up to 3.8GHz, even though at idle it is around 2.3Ghz. So I think my overclock is working fine.

I'm occassionally get a blue screen on first boot with different BC codes (3b & 1e being most common). This usually happens immediately after entering my password to log in to windows (7 Home Premium 64 bit). The Pc reboots and I just choose start windows normally and everything is fine. I've occassionally had the blue screens when running windows, but on the whole once it's all booted up everything works ok. Memtests show no problem with the Ram.

I'm really tempted to try the latest bios F9m( currently F7), but am worried about losing the overclock. I may contact Overclockers to see if thay can send me the F9m bios too.

Other than that I'll have to bite the bullet and make a note of all the current Bios screens, flash the bios, and go from there. I may get the latest Custom PC Mag for their i7 920 overclocking guide, as someone previously suggested.

I just need to pluck up the courage to go for it!!

Associate
re:

The main reason I purchased this bundle was mainly seeing that it was overclocked to 4ghz .
Paying out this amount of money it should run as stated, and to be honest I dont think its fair to have to put up with re-boots, sleep doesnt work and whatever issues etc.
My last I wish to try is the F9 Bios with overclockers settings for 4ghz as I dont really want to go down the road of sending it all back.

Just waiting on a responce from the support at the moment.

Cheers
mrix

Soldato
Hi Gaidin109, were you getting issues before with F7 ? and is your system running at 4ghz?
Cheers
mrix

My bundle shipped with F7 bios and the only problem I had was I had to OC it myself as OCuk didnt, I got the Bios Settings from them in the end, but my own were better so stuck with that. I only has the cold boot problem at the very beginning, I think that was to do with my original OC voltages. Since installing F9e I havent had any hassle at all. in fact I lowered my voltages further and kept stability now for several months.

Associate
re:

So you did actually have issues. This is what I am saying if you purchase a system that states its overclocked you should not really have any problems. Good on you that you have updated your bios to f9 and have added your own overclocked settings but I am not really up on all that and thats why I ordered the system already done for me.
Unfortunately that turns out not such a good idea for me :confused:
Cheers
mrix

Soldato
So you did actually have issues. This is what I am saying if you purchase a system that states its overclocked you should not really have any problems. Good on you that you have updated your bios to f9 and have added your own overclocked settings but I am not really up on all that and thats why I ordered the system already done for me.
Unfortunately that turns out not such a good idea for me :confused:
Cheers
mrix

I see what you mean now, get onto the customer service forum and explain the situation to them, they will be glad to sort it out for you. They can talk you through it all on the phone if you like. They are normally pretty good. There are loads of threads on here on how to OC on that bundle as well.

Associate
Bought the bundle myself, as I wanted a guaranteed overclock and didn't know much about the i7 and overclocking it at the time.

Same boot issues experienced here also. My system from cold would cycle about 3 times before it would post, and after say every 2 or 3 cold boots it would tell me that my overclocked settings weren't safe and take me into the bios.

Installed F9 and have since read up on how to overclock it myself. All is stable and all of the above problems with the board have gone away.

Here's a tip, read up the boards voltages and learn what is safe and stable rather than leaving most settings on auto. I dropped my systems temps through doing so.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi littledave, did you check your overclocked settings once it rebooted? did your overclock stay at the default of 4ghz.
What I found was that once it rebooted it reverted back to standard clock settings.
I have heard the F9 bios does stop these issues but the only reason I purchased the bundle was because it was already overclocked and saved me the headache.
If I cant get an updated bios that actually works at 4ghz, then I`ll be sending it back soon.
Cheers
mrix

Yep you were right the board reverted back to default settings so I had to load the OCUK profile.

1 thing i cannot seem to copy the BIOS profiles off the USB stick onto the PC for storage?

Soldato
I'm absolutely certain now that this problem is caused by unstable BIOS settings...

The OcUK profiles aren't what I would call "optimized", they are fairly basic tbh.

Anyone who has took it upon themselves to tweak their bundle further will tell you this..

My Dad's bundle was really shabby, the RAM was running well under spec, and the only voltage that had been tweaked was Vcore, and that had been set to 1.300v, everything else was left on auto...

Soldato
Every single one of us on this forum was new to this type of thing at one point in time, it's not rocket science!!

There are litterally hundreds of guides on how to overclock an i7 system, there really is nothing to it mate...

It's probably more to do with laziness than anything else, in that you can't be bothered to learn how to do it yourself!!! :p

Associate
re:

It's probably more to do with laziness than anything else

I think its basically that some people like yourself are willing to go down this road mainly because you enjoy this type of thing. I am not that interested in it and dont want to waist my time trying, that's why I decided to get a bundle with the job already done.
Well I thought it was:confused:
Cheers
mrix

Soldato
Hmmm, probably, but like I said, it doesn't take a lot of time to learn how to o/c this platform..

I had never owned an Intel system prior to this i7 rig, so it was completely new to me at the start of this year as well.

The only good thing about these bundles is, at least you're guaranteed to get a chip that can do 4GHz.

There's been a few guys on here that have bought bundles, and then learnt how to o/c themselves, Gaidin and bulldog are 2 guys that spring to mind.

There's also plenty of people here with experience that can help you tweak your BIOS yourself, but if like you say, you're not interested in doing this, then your best bet is to contact the techs here via the customer service forum for help.

I think a few people have had to return their bundles because of instability problems, I personally couldn't be done with having to do that everytime I had a problem with my kit...

Associate
Just updated to the F9m BIOS

However im having some troubles with the RAM. Ive re entered the BIOS settings for a 3.8 overclock (im waiting for my H50 untill I go 4.0).

I have tried some of the settings listed, thing is I cannot seem to boot with anywhere near the 1600MHz for the memory. Please check my settings

The issues I was having with sleep has gone and time will tell for the cold boot problems btw

Also the Dynamic vcore seems to be greyed out and I cannot see how to use enable it?

All suggestions & reccommendations welcome

Piccys

bios11.jpg

bios12.jpg

bios13.jpg

bios14.jpg

bios15.jpg

Capture1.png
Capture2-1.png
Capture3.png

Associate
To enable the Dynamic vcore setting you will need to use Normal mode within CPU Vcore.

I use +0.14375v Dynamic vcore (DVID)

I run with Load Line Calibration (Disabled)

Running at 1600mhz you may need to change command rate to 2T try also 8,8,8,24

Last edited:
Associate
So you have to disable Load Line Calibration to get acces to the Dynamic Vcore function.

So whats the XMP-1600 settings shown in CPUz are they just a tease, ive tried dropping the CPU to default speeds but still no go. will try those settings tomorrow ive had enough tonight

Soldato
No, you can keep LLC enabled if you so wish, to get access to DVID you must first set Vcore to "Normal".

And no, the XMP (eXtreme Memory Profiles) settings shown in CPU-Z is the XMP profile that is programmed into your RAM modules, you can select XMP from the BIOS if you want to use it, however, I find that it's always best to set your RAM up manually, as XMP tends to use 1.35v Vtt for 1600MHz, and you don't really need to use that much Vtt to be honest...

Back
Top Bottom