• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Gigabyte Super OC GTX 480's - VERY LOW PRICES!**

Soldato
Dont get me wrong, they are good value for money if they work, well at £215 they were. But from what ive heard, gigabyte are using poor cores on these an just dumping them out at cheap prices.

Ive bought a GTX 570 Phantom (from a competitor) for £266 delivered which is a heck of a lot better than the GTX 480 for only £15 more at current prices (£250) Even on ocuk you can pick up a GTX 570 for around £250 same as the GTX 480's current price. The 570 runs much much cooler and uses a lot less power. The temps might be similar but you have to remember the sheer amount of heat the GTX 480 dumps into your case, so may be cooler than a stock 480 but the heat is still there.

I'm sorry I disagree - I went from a 570 to a 480- and the 480 is much better in games - especially at high resolution with lots of AA

just a smoother experience

and a heavily overclocked 570 at that

I do agree re the heat though

Associate
Dont get me wrong, they are good value for money if they work, well at £215 they were. But from what ive heard, gigabyte are using poor cores on these an just dumping them out at cheap prices.

Ive bought a GTX 570 Phantom (from a competitor) for £266 delivered which is a heck of a lot better than the GTX 480 for only £15 more at current prices (£250) Even on ocuk you can pick up a GTX 570 for around £250 same as the GTX 480's current price. The 570 runs much much cooler and uses a lot less power. The temps might be similar but you have to remember the sheer amount of heat the GTX 480 dumps into your case, so may be cooler than a stock 480 but the heat is still there.

Crater loads

is the 570GTX really as good as the 480SOc I would have thought the the temps would be about the same with the custom cooling, i understand what your saying about it dumping heat into the case. but surely with good case airflow that is not a big issue.

its 23c here just ran intel burn test v2.5 highest my cpu got to was 66c dont think thats too bad considering 2500k clocked to 4.4GHz and cpu.
Unless putting through furmark or OCCT my gpu rarely exceeds 75c so dont think thats a real problem.

Personally I think the GTX480Soc is a great card for the money and probably slightly edges most factory clocked 570
due to the amount of memory.

I am more than happy to be proved wrong ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
The amount of memory makes no difference what so ever at anything around 1920 x 1200. Fair enough if you were gaming on a 30" screen or running multiple displays. The couple of hundred megabytes of mem increase is a non issue. Even a 1gb card is more than enough for 99% of games at 1920 x 1200 (most people using 1080p and less)

It may just be a personal thing, i prefer things more refined, dont want to be using more watts than needed and be dumping huge amounts of heat in my case. The 480 was a bad card from the begining, yes its fast but still bad hence nvidia going back to the basic's with the 5 series.

My 2500k is also running at 4.4GHz and never goes about 60c and thats with my fans set at the absolute lowest rpm the controller allows and all this in a tiny lian li v354 case.

Soldato
The amount of memory makes no difference what so ever at anything around 1920 x 1200. Fair enough if you were gaming on a 30" screen or running multiple displays. The couple of hundred megabytes of mem increase is a non issue. Even a 1gb card is more than enough for 99% of games at 1920 x 1200 (most people using 1080p and less)

It may just be a personal thing, i prefer things more refined, dont want to be using more watts than needed and be dumping huge amounts of heat in my case. The 480 was a bad card from the begining, yes its fast but still bad hence nvidia going back to the basic's with the 5 series.

My 2500k is also running at 4.4GHz and never goes about 60c and thats with my fans set at the absolute lowest rpm the controller allows and all this in a tiny lian li v354 case.

memory does help with AA and later on, games will probably require more and more VRAM.
Also, if you use graphical design programmes, VRAM is helpful

Soldato
memory does help with AA and later on, games will probably require more and more VRAM.
Also, if you use graphical design programmes, VRAM is helpful

Yes but not at 1920 x 1200 and below. I cant think of a game that would exceed 1280mb at 1920 x 1200 and below. Theres only a handful of games right now out of millions that will surpass just 1gb never mind 1280mb. Even if it did the performance hit will be minimal upto 5fps at most.

By the time games are using more than 1280mb vram the cards will be obselete.

Associate

Lian li sounds like its a good case :) out of intrest what cooler you got because i am not that impressed with my BeQuiets cooling though it is quiet, put a mates build together at the weekend and put a silver arrow in his was immediatley 8degrees c cooler than mine in the same case with the same cpu at the same speed with the same 480SOc.
i wasnt aware that the 5 series was a whole new design, thought it was a revision of the 4 series. admittedly more power efficient and cooler then the original 480's.

have a look at this for load temps

http://www.guru3d.com/article/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-480-soc-review/7

and this for performance at 1920*1200 in battlefield 2 DX11 mode

http://www.guru3d.com/article/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-480-soc-review/10

personally i think its a great card and glad i saved the money over a 570 although having checked a few reviews i do like the look of that 570phantom and probably would have been what i would have gone for if the 480SOc had not come up on offer.

Last edited:
Soldato
Lian li sounds like its a good case :) out of intrest what cooler you got because i am not that impressed with my BeQuiets cooling though it is quiet, put a mates build together at the weekend and put a silver arrow in his was immediatley 8degrees c cooler than mine in the same case with the same cpu at the same speed with the same 480SOc.
i wasnt aware that the 5 series was a whole new design, thought it was a revision of the 4 series. admittedly more power efficient and cooler then the original 480's.

Im using a Antec Kuhler h20 620 on a push/pull config, virtually silent. Peaked at 59c last night on prime but it was very hot last night.

By back to basic i mean they recognised the complaints regarding the 4 series heat and power output hence reduced power intake and designed a better cooling solution for the 5 series.

The 5 series is fermi done right.

Soldato
its prob not the extra memory that helps out the 480 vs the 570 - its probably the extra memory bandwidth of the 480 that helps

and on power I'm not sure a heavily overclocked 570 uses much less than a 480 ? and I don't think a 580 is that much more power efficient than a 480 is it ?

just the newer 5xx series have the vapor coolers etc - so can remove heat better -and quieter

the SOC tripple fan design uses vapor coolers as well :)

Associate
Im using a Antec Kuhler h20 620 on a push/pull config, virtually silent. Peaked at 59c last night on prime but it was very hot last night.

By back to basic i mean they recognised the complaints regarding the 4 series heat and power output hence reduced power intake and designed a better cooling solution for the 5 series.

The 5 series is fermi done right.

was the fitting of the cooler straight forward.

Soldato
Yes very easy, the tubes on it are nice and flexy unlike the corsair units, its cheaper and cools better. ive got mine mounted in the front of the case but in any normal case will mount fine at the rear fan positions.

I may be getting better temps as is mounted at the front and draws cold air direct on to the rad. only downside is blows the warm air into the case.

Soldato
Maybe ive been a little harsh on the 480 soc. Shouldnt be slagging off a card here as at the end of the day you guys i assume have bought this card and is not nice for someone saying you bought the wrong card.

At the end of the day if youve got a working one for £215 you cant go wrong. As of todays prices - gtx 480 £250 & 570 phantom £266 i would go for the phantom.

Soldato
Craterloads the 570 is indeed a nice card at that price I agree :)

I was put off the stock cards re VRMs going pop - but whether thats just forum talk or reality I don't know

Associate
The 570 phantom uses a 8+1 phase design compared to the 5+1 design on reference models so no worries there.

Do really like the look of it, would have gone nice with one of the Black sandybridge MB and a window on the side of the case. this build has to do me for the next 18months.

might change the cooler, if i do it will be the silver arrow which is butt ugly but cools welll and quiet, or one of the water all in ones.

Soldato
Dear Sir,

I am informed there has been no change except that I am now informed the item will now be replaced by our HQ in Taiwan and when we know the model they will send to replace it with, we will inform you. This is now likely to be next week when we know because of the Easter break.

Regards

Returns Dept

Please tell me they won't be giving me a 570 :(

Back
Top Bottom