• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Gigabyte Super OC GTX 480's - VERY LOW PRICES!**

Soldato
Bought my uncle a SOC from here - it artifacts after 10 minutes gaming. Sent it back to OCUK within a couple of weeks, they say it's tested fine (which it plainly isn't) and has been send back to me. I'm in Italy ATM so will have to sort it out next week.

Poor show Gigabyte, poor show OCUK

Associate
WTF! What's happened today?

Furmark 94 degrees stable for 30 minutes.

OCCT climbed to 90 in seconds then slowly climbed to a stable 97 degrees!

These are all considerably cooler than before. I can't believe the ambient is that much lower today.

The card is still hotter than my last one, but it's got no errors. I might purchase a "cooler" case and see what happens.

Associate
Bought my uncle a SOC from here - it artifacts after 10 minutes gaming. Sent it back to OCUK within a couple of weeks, they say it's tested fine (which it plainly isn't) and has been send back to me. I'm in Italy ATM so will have to sort it out next week.

What conditions does it error under?

Maybe OCUK are fed up of these cards and are returning them NFF to get everyone to send them to Gigabyte to deal with them.

Got to say GB aren't impressing me at the moment, I sent in a support request 3 days ago about my SOC and not heard a thing!

Soldato
DTWD - totally agree - its like saying running Prime95 is not a good method of testing CPU stability

Well....stability isn't that straight forward.

I've OC'd my i7 930 to 4Ghz and had it 14+hrs Prime 95 stable, but the machine was BSOD every 2-3 hrs when playing World of Tanks. Bumped the QPI voltage up 1 more notch and its rock solid on WoT now...and Prime is going to stress the PC far more than WoT does.

Soldato
Well....stability isn't that straight forward.

I've OC'd my i7 930 to 4Ghz and had it 14+hrs Prime 95 stable, but the machine was BSOD every 2-3 hrs when playing World of Tanks. Bumped the QPI voltage up 1 more notch and its rock solid on WoT now...and Prime is going to stress the PC far more than WoT does.

well thats true - but did you run small or blend prime ?

I do both- small for CPU stability, blend for more balanced stress on mobo, ram and cpu

depending on my overclock smallcan fall over andblend pass - or vice versa

so as yousaid you have to play around - especially with new CPUs with built inmemory controllers etc

Associate
There is an Intel CPU stress test (linpack is it?) that's far harsher than p95 and shows you a "truer" picture. I have never tried it, and my PC has always been fine on an OC using p95 as my test.

However I have heard other people swear by it, it also might not be called linpack, I can't remember it's name.

But back to Freakbro's post, if it's stable in p95 (and 14 hours is maybe not enough) it may have been something else that's been masked/cured by the upping of voltage. Maybe it was fine, while the RAM/GPU wasn't drawing much power, but as soon as they do, maybe something happens at the power supply level. Just a thought and probably not a very clever one.

AzZ

AzZ

Associate

What are the system specs? Motherboard and PSU?

Soldato
found something interesting this afternoon:

run OCCT in a window - set to a certain voltage with say 800 clock (both set by afterburner) -at a known stable setting

open up Gigabyte OC Guru - leaveeverything on Auto - and note now the voltage shown on OC Guru is fluctuating all over the place- but Afterburner, GPU-Z and OCCT still showing the Afterburner set voltage,but now getting lots more artefcats....odd

Soldato
for interest - any of you SE owners - what bios version do you have ?

wonder whether theres something in our bios of the SOCs that doesn't like some of the newer powermanagement within the Nvidia drivers?

can't see why in OC Guru the voltages - even when you've not tweaked them in OC Guru are all over the place

again -even if I had one of worst 480 GPU cores ever-the fact I can't get 820 stable - nomatter the volts set makes me wonder whether something else isgoing on with these cards

whats different about these cards over the stock ones? the sophisticated power regulation....

Soldato
What conditions does it error under?

Maybe OCUK are fed up of these cards and are returning them NFF to get everyone to send them to Gigabyte to deal with them.

Got to say GB aren't impressing me at the moment, I sent in a support request 3 days ago about my SOC and not heard a thing!

What are the system specs? Motherboard and PSU?

The board is a Gigabyte x58 something or other, CPU is an i7 950 and the PSU is an OCZ modextreme 700w. His case is a Coolermaster Scout. It did the same in my 1055t/M4A89GTD/700w setup. It's ******, it's obvious, it's been sent back and I'm not impressed. Seems to be happening a lot with these cards. 10-30 minutes in a game (like Crysis 2/Warhead/BFBC2) and textures/artifacts start flickering all over. Heaven 2.5 dors it too, but faster

Ahh, too busy sunning myself in Bardolino to care ATM, 30c and blue skies y0! :cool:

Soldato
varkanoid - ok same firmware thats that out of the window

thanks for looking

what clocksfor interest does yours manage and at what voltages please ?

also whats stock volts on it ?

Soldato
1063mv is stock voltage.

I've not really pushed it to be honest. Just put the GPU to 800mhz and the memory to 2000mhz (4000mhz).

All benchmarks ran fine ie 3d Mark 11, Furmark etc on 1063mv but 3d Mark Vantage crashed out everytime so I upped the voltage to 1075mv and 3d Mark Vantage then passed.

it idles at about 45c and goes about 75c to 80c when gaming.

Associate
Case closed for me

Case closed for me. Both my vendor and Gigabyte itself say "we can't do anything more". Gigabyte offered me a 570OC which I finally declined. My vendor offered me a refund but I also declined since I bought this card on special offer (324 euros) so there is no case that I will find anything near-decent to 480SOC with this amount of money.

So, I currently have my 2nd replacement, it works fine over-volted @ 1.088v (finished 3 games already all maxxed no prob.) and this is it. Idles at 60o C (dual monitor setup), tops @ 84oC under full load (games). Some could say, "why moaning, you're ok". Well, this is not exactly so. With this voltage, I could have overclocked as well, but I'm using all this voltage just to operate the stock specs... I get BSOD and artifacts even to my slightest attempt to mess with the clocks, even in 0.10 increments.

FYI, Gigabyte won't issue any BIOS update. They say that our problems reflect a minority of users, most of them are ok, so they don't want to issue an update that may mess the "well-being" of the majority of 480soc owners.

They even asked for my VGA Lot number (its a green sticker on the back of the card). Don't know why. They also sent me an excel table showing that the gtx570oc performs a bit more than 480soc (they only provided a 3d vantage score)...

Anyway, this all has been extremely tedious and tiresome experience. The actual offer price of my card vanished by the extra cost of numerous phone calls, here and there.

Wish you luck (=at least a decent/playable/working stable setting). Next time, I know...

Last edited:
Associate
Sigh.. emailed Gigabyte 3times across friday - monday they just replied to my emails now.. saying that's its been dispatched friday no idea what would come.. to my disapointment a GTX 570 OC.. arrives.. not a happy panda

how should i approach this situation? ask'd them numerous times when the delivery came in what card will be the replacement? they just ignored the fact..

Sigh.. emailed Gigabyte 3times across friday - monday they just replied to my emails now.. saying that's its been dispatched friday no idea what would come.. to my disapointment a GTX 570 OC.. arrives.. not a happy panda

how should i approach this situation? ask'd them numerous times when the delivery came in what card will be the replacement? they just ignored the fact..

Apparently the GTX570OC performs better than the 480SOC does (see the post above yours) and in any rate the GTX5** series runs cooler. So I don't really see why getting one of those would be an issue?

Associate
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/309?vs=306 close but not near and just been looking at over benchmark for the OC 570 but cant find any specific to the Gigabyte version, not that great imo about the heat ive never had problems with gtx 480 what i had apart from artefacting.. was running cool at 66degrees during Crysis/Warhead and RIFT all on max, quite suprising

Back
Top Bottom