• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Gigabyte Super OC GTX 480's - VERY LOW PRICES!**

Associate
if i had any idea they'd of sent me a 570 id of just asked for my old card back lol so i could atleast get a refund instead of having a card i dont want, sent them an email at 10:45 still no reply.. stated its low on Memory etc.. and asked why didnt you just send me back a Special Editon 480 atleast it'd be better.. then they sent me this crap table.
  • Model name
  • GV-N480UD-15I
    X9815

P21746​
  • GV-N570OC-13I
    X11942

P25642​

P = 3D Mark Vantage
Performance

X = 3D Mark Vantage
Extreme

as you can see tho that isnt the model name for the SOC.. sigh

Associate
Bayk, it seems like they don't want to acknowledge it.

I got an RMA email from GB, got to provide some proof of purchase and fill in this form.

Does anyone know if you can actually talk to someone? I can't fill in the problem in one line on the form and every message I get from GB they seem to not be ankowleding the points of my email. I don't want this 480 SOC fixed, I want it replaced, OCuk won't as they don't think it's faulty, but 102 degrees isn't normal.

This card is a few weeks old, I don't consider a repair to be acceptable. Running at over 100 degrees can't be good for the components on the card. So they may fix the problem, but other components might fail because of the excessive heat they have had.

Associate
RMA?

I just opened an RMA for a GTX 480 SOC... are OC UK actually accepting things like OCCT as a valid test?

Mine does this:
broken3.png

But when I message OCUK about it, they just say:

"For some reason OCCT sometimes finds errors with cards we have not found faulty."

I am having problems when the cards hit 100C+, but nothing is quite as consistently reproducible as the OCCT test. I don't want them to just run a Heaven benchmark a couple of times and conclude everything is fine, and then charge me for it.

Would I be better off going directly to Gigabyte?

Soldato
easy as - if you are getting problems with OCCT its likely you will get errors with Furmark

run it at extreme settings and see if anything visible - with mySOC its VERY obvious - large artefacts that are very visible to the eye. Furmark is definately a legitimate test.

re having a 570 OC swappedfora 480 SOC - thats not a good swap in my opinion

why didn't they swap it for a 570 SOC at a very minimum ?

I had a 570 previously and even at stock 480 clocks I would not swap a stock480 for an oc'd 570 (I ran my 570 at over 800) as I find in games - the extra VRAM and VRAM bandwith makes a difference - YMMV though

its putting me off sending my SOC back

would I prefer to (1) keep current card at 770MHz (under what it should perform)

(2) if found faulty swap for an OC 570

I'd prefer 1 I think !!

re OCCT - for your reference with my OC'd (out of the box - factory) - 570 I could run it for 20 minutes without a single error!!!

AzZ

AzZ

Associate
I'm not buying all these comments saying "OCCT is not a reliable test, it pushes your card too much etc...". Fair enough it is more graphically intense than any game, but no one is saying you should run it for 30 mins. If you run it for 2 mins and get thousands of errors- the card is not stable. It will most likely error in games too if this is the case. Mine ran for a solid 5 minutes at stock 480 clocks without a single error but at SOC settings got 50k+ errors in 2 mins.

drakioned- Downclock your card to factory 480 speeds Set core to: 700MHz, shader to should come down to 1401 and set memory to: 1848. Use stock volts.

Now run OCCT and see if it can do a max of 5 minutes without errors. If it doesn't error then your card is unstable at SOC speeds.

Soldato
exactly if OCCTis an unreliable test - why do the cards pass at stock 480 settings ?wouldn't it fail at those settings too?

its impossible to push a card with software harder than its designed for - simpleas

do you know of any CPU stress tests that push a CPU PAST what its desiged for?

Associate
drakioned Go into afterburner settings and unlock the volts so you can see what it is

Mine was at 1025v and errors all over the place in occt
At 1050 it is fine

Plus try the new beta 5 occt it is a the latest out

Soldato
exactly if OCCTis an unreliable test - why do the cards pass at stock 480 settings ?wouldn't it fail at those settings too?

its impossible to push a card with software harder than its designed for - simpleas

do you know of any CPU stress tests that push a CPU PAST what its desiged for?

Exactly this.

What happened with yoir card Buckster?

Associate
OCCT 3.1 is NOT a reliable test and this comes from extensive testing. I've been able to put my 480 SE (@ SOC clock speeds) through the following.

OCCT V4 (Beta) : no errors
EVGA OC utility : no errors
Kompbustor : no errors
Furmark : no errors

But OCCT 3.1 always manages to produce some errors, despite being a less stressfull test than EVGA OC utility scanner. I would recommend trying the above before coming to a conclusion about stability. I have not been able to produce the OCCT V3.1 errors in any other benchmark/game or GPU test out there.

Associate
hi, just got 1 of these and after install im getting black screen and sometimes no keyboard.
i'm thinking its time for new powerpack, i have a jeantech 500w. need new 1 /any advice on brand /size?

Soldato
hi, just got 1 of these and after install im getting black screen and sometimes no keyboard.
i'm thinking its time for new powerpack, i have a jeantech 500w. need new 1 /any advice on brand /size?

when it comes to PSU's, always go for the best you can afford.
My personal reccomendations would be
  • silverstone
  • Antec
  • Corsair

I would look at 850w and up.
This is higher than what you need but it will be better for future upgrades

Soldato
What conditions does it error under?

Maybe OCUK are fed up of these cards and are returning them NFF to get everyone to send them to Gigabyte to deal with them.

Got to say GB aren't impressing me at the moment, I sent in a support request 3 days ago about my SOC and not heard a thing!

was that a support ticket?
talk to the RMA team - replies within hours :D

Back
Top Bottom