Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7 Owners Thread.

Associate
Yeah the fan curve is like a software one. I wish you could just manually input %'s though.

What, specifically, was the VCore issue? I know it made the VCore too high, but why was this? was it treating the Skylake as a Kabylake VCore or something?

Got my i5 6600k running at 4.2ghz at 1.175 VCore - not sure whether to increase & go for 4.4ghz, not much performance benefit & would rather keep it cool/stable.

Associate
Probably they set vCore higher to have more stability on bootstrap and probably they forget to set vCore lower after bootstrap. Anyway at the end they find a good setting on F21. Very similar to the one I found manually with a lot of attempts on old bios (I made 40 and more different configuration and a lot of tests to find the best one...).
They also solved the bug related to the x8 multiplier. On F20 the CPU never go down to 800Mhz.

My 6700k @4.4Ghz:

8155d1490294529-gigabyte-beta-bios-170323193642-jpg

Caporegime
OP
Associate
The newest easytuneengineservice was causing problems with my pc. I needed it to run SIV for my fan control as the F8 didnt have what i needed.
I just updated to F21 as i knew there was better fan control and i have been reading good reports in this forum.
Well everything is working fine, and my fan problem is fixed as it is now set in the bios and i dont need the buggy easytuneengine. BUT, when i startup my pc it takes about 20 seconds for my keyboard and mouse to initialise. This is after being on the Gigabyte splash screen for a long time too. Im guessing what was a 10-15s boot to typing my password, now taking 50-60s.
I have tried turning quick boot on and off. Disabled/enabled legacy usb. This problem also arose in the F20 bios i tried. Fixed by going to F8.
I don't want to flash to F8 again because i need fan control and i think the F21 is looking to be better for my voltages.

Edit:

Ok further testing reveals that my boot time is reduced to the normal F8 Bios if i disabled thunderbolt in the bios. However this turns off my usb3.1 port that my Rift is plugged into.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Keyboard+mouse coming after the system boots is either an install problem (so I would reinstall windows+drivers) or try other USB ports (again if the ports they are connected to need drivers which are loading after)

Associate
Keyboard+mouse coming after the system boots is either an install problem (so I would reinstall windows+drivers) or try other USB ports (again if the ports they are connected to need drivers which are loading after)

Thanks for the tip.

I fixed the problem. It turns out that i had been running F8 with the original thunderbolt 3 firmware. F20 and F21 both needed the firmware updating. I had only tried installing the drivers as i knew it may have been the culprit from everything being fixed if i turned thunderbolt off. I found the firmware update tool. Ran it, unplugged my power chord for 30 seconds after shutdown. Now everything is great again.

Associate
Quick question for you guys.

I have have just bought this board as part of doing a brand new build. Reading what I can see regarding bios versions I'm assuming that the best thing for me to do prior to installing windows 10 is update the bios to the latest version (F21), install windows 10 then install gigabyte software plus new drivers to prevent encountering any issues.

Is there anything else that I have missed or should take note at.

Caporegime
OP

I have have just bought this board as part of doing a brand new build. Reading what I can see regarding bios versions I'm assuming that the best thing for me to do prior to installing windows 10 is update the bios to the latest version (F21), install windows 10 then install gigabyte software plus new drivers to prevent encountering any issues.

I would do the BIOS update, install windows, do chipset, GFX+sound drivers, windows update and only install the gigabyte software you know you will use, dont click yes to it all.

Caporegime
OP

I would do the BIOS update, install windows, do chipset, GFX+sound drivers, windows update and only install the gigabyte software you know you will use, dont click yes to it all.

Soldato
Probably they set vCore higher to have more stability on bootstrap and probably they forget to set vCore lower after bootstrap. Anyway at the end they find a good setting on F21. Very similar to the one I found manually with a lot of attempts on old bios (I made 40 and more different configuration and a lot of tests to find the best one...).
They also solved the bug related to the x8 multiplier. On F20 the CPU never go down to 800Mhz.

My 6700k @4.4Ghz:

8155d1490294529-gigabyte-beta-bios-170323193642-jpg

Was this on air sorry?

Ive been having some problems recently, hence my questions on ram and this :)

Thanks

Soldato
I'm running Vengance 3200mhz. I'm using XMP2 profile without issues. My 6700k is under Enermax Liqmax II 240.

Thank you.

I have my 6700k @ 4.2ghz, 1.27 volts (I'm sure I could get this lower) - 60 degrees under load. I'm sure I have DVID set at 0.0 but I'll check again later.

Currently, when I activate the XMP profile for my RAM, I can't get past post - a bit odd.

Back
Top Bottom