Given up on owning defect free monitor

Associate
I bought an AOC 144hz monitor recently to tide me over and it's perfect barring TN tech flaws. I have tried to replace it but I just end up sending stuff back. Monitor QC seems to have been bad for while now. It's got to the stage now where going in for a new monitor is an unpleasant experience which usually ends in disappointment and compromise.

Soldato
I feel you OP, I returned 3x 32" screens last year before giving up and liberating a 24" Dell from the office. Flawless quality, zero BLB, no dead pixels, only mild IPS glow when off-angle - but obviously not very large or ideal for gaming. Have been making do on it ever since.

If you want large but aren't committed to ultrawide, the HP Omen 32 with freesync is looking promising - there's another thread in this forum with some success stories in it :)

But it is frustrating in general. There doesn't seem to be a single manufacturer who is actually making "premium" gaming panels. You can get quality and large size for a high price from NEC or Dell, but not in models that are made (or sensible) for gaming. You literally can't buy a high quality, responsive, large screen with a good warranty for any price :( At this point it's basically a cartel where they all raced to the bottom on manufacturing costs and silently agreed they can keep profits highest if nobody makes a better product.

Associate
OP
if only we had OLED , I remember similar problems years back with LCD tvs which led me onto purchasing my pioneer krp the picture quality to this day is superb.

These lcds with ltd contrast etc just make the image look soft and less detailed in comparison , I have to admit thou the 100hz and gysnc is what sold me and is a nice step up from 60hz I have to try and remember this was the reason for getting a monitor again after all these years which is roughly 6 / 7 lol

Shame we have to go through this lottery panel as its just headache , ill just have to see if I can put up with the glow or blb whatever its is because I haven't seen a similar panel i.e. gysnc or 100 at 3440x1440.

** hmm having a look at the Samsung CF791 at the moment doesent look to bad

Last edited:
Associate
Acer seem very poor quality to me. I've always bought iiyama monitors, not a name that's first on people's popularity list but I've never had a duff one yet. Also their customer service is top notch.

Soldato
To me the BLB is the only downside to the X34 and when in general use it doesn't bother me. Just the odd occasion like above when it stands out next to a 16:9 film frame. Compared to my previous Acer TN panel it's no comparison. However I am tending to use the BenQ X3501 also on my desk which is only 2560x1080 but 35" but has far superior blacks but less vibrant and slightly muddy colours in comparison. At least for faster paced fps games.

I still like to reserve my fav games such Withcher 3 for the Acer as you can't beat the extra res. and vibrant colours well until I get a OLED/HDR monitor that is!

Associate
OP
i think im going to call overclockers today and rma this panel for the samsung , i was looking at comparison pictures on overclock.net from a user who owns both screens i.e. the asus pg348q and the samsung cf791 and the samsung just looks like it offers a much better / detailed image. I think this is due to the black levels the samsung offers.

Soldato
if only we had OLED , I remember similar problems years back with LCD tvs which led me onto purchasing my pioneer krp the picture quality to this day is superb.

These lcds with ltd contrast etc just make the image look soft and less detailed in comparison , I have to admit thou the 100hz and gysnc is what sold me and is a nice step up from 60hz I have to try and remember this was the reason for getting a monitor again after all these years which is roughly 6 / 7 lol

Shame we have to go through this lottery panel as its just headache , ill just have to see if I can put up with the glow or blb whatever its is because I haven't seen a similar panel i.e. gysnc or 100 at 3440x1440.

** hmm having a look at the Samsung CF791 at the moment doesent look to bad

Yeah that's the situation I'm in. I spent silly money as it is on the X34A so unless OCUK are charitable and feel like giving me the Asus monitor for £899, I'll be sticking with the Acer. The problem is that now my eyes are drawn to the blb so I can now even see it on light colours too.

Caporegime
i think im going to call overclockers today and rma this panel for the samsung , i was looking at comparison pictures on overclock.net from a user who owns both screens i.e. the asus pg348q and the samsung cf791 and the samsung just looks like it offers a much better / detailed image. I think this is due to the black levels the samsung offers.
Got a link?

Caporegime
Associate
OP
the only thing about the samsung is lack of gsync .... not sure if i would miss it or not. I guess the only way to tell is to purchase the panel and compare.

Caporegime
the only thing about the samsung is lack of gsync .... not sure if i would miss it or not. I guess the only way to tell is to purchase the panel and compare.
Why don't you get the AOC or HP gsync 34" 1440 VA 100HZ monitor? Probably not quite as good as the Samsung, at least for the IQ/colours but it shouldn't be drastically different.

Soldato
Acer seem very poor quality to me. I've always bought iiyama monitors, not a name that's first on people's popularity list but I've never had a duff one yet. Also their customer service is top notch.

Sorry to say one of my returns was an Iiyama :/ 32" QHD, high gamut, 16:10... lovely on paper, atrocious BLB, visible even in a well lit room and discolouring 15-20% of the screen. For something billed as a "professional" screen for graphics and photo work, it rather failed to deliver.

I think every manufacturer has bad units though, the question is whether they're willing to say "send it back and we'll replace it with a better one" or just "that's how the technology is, live with it". We really need to see an end to the latter...

Associate
OP
Why don't you get the AOC or HP gsync 34" 1440 VA 100HZ monitor? Probably not quite as good as the Samsung, at least for the IQ/colours but it shouldn't be drastically different.

ive not looked into the aoc but but the hp is a ips panel right ? im starting to think ips isent good for me the blacks are dismal coming from plasma and the yellow glow is infuriating.

I could probably handle the black levels if it wasent for the yellow glow that for me is a killer shows up in doom res evil elite dangerous all dark games and makes me real bad about purchase.

Caporegime
ive not looked into the aoc but but the hp is a ips panel right ? im starting to think ips isent good for me the blacks are dismal coming from plasma and the yellow glow is infuriating.

I could probably handle the black levels if it wasent for the yellow glow that for me is a killer shows up in doom res evil elite dangerous all dark games and makes me real bad about purchase.
The HP is using the same VA panel as the AOC.

The yellow glow sounds like back light bleed, not IPS glow so if you could get an IPS panel without any back light bleed then you might be ok with IPS (still **** compared to plasma though) but unfortunately that is the problem... getting one without any back light bleed :/

Associate
While you will never find a 100% perfect LCD panel the faults you have experienced are completely unacceptable and I'd get a refund and go with a different brand, While the LG 34UC88 isn't perfect (has some MINOR back light bleed in the lower corners) it's one of the best monitors I've owned in terms of uniformity. I'd reccomend either that, or go with BenQ.

Brands to avoid like the plague when it comes to displays are Viewsonic, Asus/Asrock, Acer and Philips as their quality control is anywhere from none-existent to really really bad. I personally go for LG, BenQ, HP or Microboard

Back
Top Bottom