Given up on owning defect free monitor

Associate
OP
well received my cf791 today unfortunately b-grade but overclockers were quick to sort replacement so cant fault the service there ….. I have to say wow , the screen is nice the colours are so much richer and the screen gives so much more detail blacks are really quite black and that's coming from a plasma krp 500a owner. Obviously you have to sit head on but this is fine for pc use.
The biggest problem I have now is that I thought my pc was powerful enough to drive this at 100 and for the most part it is but when I get a frame drop say 20fps the stutter is awful.
If this screen had gsync like the asus I would easily rate it as the best screen on market, out of the screens ive seen.
So the samsung offers the better image , hands down it does the asus looks soft and blurry in comparison.

However the asus offers better motion due to gysnc decision decisions.

Soldato
Acer/Asus predator and Rog range are horrible in all departments, bleed issues,pixel issues, warranty itself for them considering what customers pay is a joke and should you ever have to try use it best of luck cause bleed and pixels they don't give a flying toss about. You may get a get one but be expected to go through 4 or more till it happens, I honestly wish both companies got pulled up on more or to extreme by media as I don't think they will ever sort it

Associate
Well I'm returning my X34 after having it a little over a year - bought it in Feb 2016. It's now showing a vertical purple line on the left side of the panel - not happy for a monitor that cost the best part of a grand.

I agree that in the past I've used Iiyama - back in the days of CRT monitors, wouldn't buy anything else. Hoping that Acer sort it out for me.

Soldato
Well I'm returning my X34 after having it a little over a year - bought it in Feb 2016. It's now showing a vertical purple line on the left side of the panel - not happy for a monitor that cost the best part of a grand.

I agree that in the past I've used Iiyama - back in the days of CRT monitors, wouldn't buy anything else. Hoping that Acer sort it out for me.

If it's within warranty, they should.

My x34 is being picked up from DPD within the hour. Fingers crossed the replacement is blb free.

Last edited:
Soldato
How did you get Acer to pick it up via DPD? Did they arrange that or did you and did it cost you anything?

Sorry I didn't see the ambiguity when I posted that, but I see it now :) I should have put a line break between the two statements as they weren't directly relate.

Mine wasn't through Acer; it's getting RMA'd via OCUK.

Soldato
well received my cf791 today

Snip

What did you decide in the end - did you stick with the CF791?

I've been reading through this thread and it's like a flat panel horror story - i thought i was unlucky with TVs but, Jesus. Does the tale have a happy ending?

I had hoped the QC issues would have died death with technology advancements but assume the race for: thinnest, bezeless, bendy screen monitors is still creating issues.

I moved onto DELL Utrasharps years ago because of QC issues i had with some other brands - but admit I've been limited by style and choice because of this. Having said that, although it's only a 60hz 27inch 1440p panel i love it (the 25 inch version is just good and was excellent value). Plus, DELL customer service in the past, when I've had to use them, was exceptional and hassle free - i wasn't even without a monitor.

Hope the Samsung CF791 worked out for you - looks stunning. With the problems you've had i think i would be more inclined to live with the slight issues you're experiencing and wait for my rig upgrades to catch up with the screen.

Or buy a boring DELL Utrasharp - but with your luck... ;)

Soldato
See if you keep buying thousand pound monitors from household names like Asus, Acer and LG then you are guaranteed to have problems.

What you need to do is head down to some dodgy auction site, spend an amount of money on a B grade 1440p 60Hz PLS panel, without a dead pixel check, assembled by an unknown Korean brand, sold by a company that writes in broken English, asks to use a lower value for insurance purposes and uses a tax code to avoid import fees. During shipping create an 8 foot effigy of Kim Jong Un and burn it, inhaling the fumes until you pass out. If/when you awake then you'll either a) have become a shaman and advisor to the President or b) have a monitor that overclocks to 100hz without dead pixels, colour bleed, coil whine, weird lines or any of the other issues that seem to plague the people of this forum.

Only downside is you are stuck on dual link DVI for the rest of time :D

In all serious though, how is the QC so bad among numerous manufacturers, some of whom have been making displays longer than I have been alive? If you are gonna ask for a grand, you could at least turn the thing on and check it isn't garbage. I genuinely feel bad for the people dealing with this crap for weeks even months on end.

Soldato
In all serious though, how is the QC so bad among numerous manufacturers, some of whom have been making displays longer than I have been alive? If you are gonna ask for a grand, you could at least turn the thing on and check it isn't garbage. I genuinely feel bad for the people dealing with this crap for weeks even months on end.

Because not enough people send back crap products :/

There's unfortunately a world full of folks who put up with bad quality items or accept statements like "BLB is a natural part of IPS technology" or "we don't consider less than 18 dead pixels to be a fault". If the e-store listing doesn't say "may suffer BLB" then it's not acceptable to tell me after purchase. Everyone needs to send back everything that doesn't meet reasonable quality standards and insist that they do better. It's the only way to end the race to the bottom.

Soldato

There's unfortunately a world full of folks who put up with bad quality items or accept statements like "BLB is a natural part of IPS technology" or "we don't consider less than 18 dead pixels to be a fault". If the e-store listing doesn't say "may suffer BLB" then it's not acceptable to tell me after purchase. Everyone needs to send back everything that doesn't meet reasonable quality standards and insist that they do better. It's the only way to end the race to the bottom.
I generally agree but there are so few products out there, at least in the category that I'm after (1440p, 144 Hz, FreeSync), that there aren't really any viable alternatives. If my old VA monitor (which had no BLB whatsoever) hadn't died I wouldn't have invested in an upgrade, but now I can't really go back to 1080p 60 Hz or anything. The plus side is that I don't play games in the dark - if I did there's no way I could put up with the BLB. In a brightened room I can't tell the difference between a bit of BLB and a bit of reflection from the light source anyway so it's not a huge deal.

I'm just hoping that FreeSync 2 will start a new wave of HDR monitors that might be better - hell, AMD could actually include "no BLB" in their spec if they really wanted to improve monitor quality.

Soldato
hell, AMD could actually include "no BLB" in their spec if they really wanted to improve monitor quality.

Screen uniformity should definitely be required to get a certification, yeah. Basically it should sum up to "doesn't disappoint the customer and make them question their life choices" :)

Caporegime

This!!!!!

Soldato
I too agree in principle but part of me is thankful for the apathetic buyer. It means my £500 monitor isn't costing me £1000. It's a guilt-edged sword scenario...

But i would prefer a slight premium hike for better QC if it took lottery out of buying premium panels.

I hate multiple returns - gets very stressful and you begin to start feeling that your being over fussy until you get 'the one' - vindication!

Soldato
If your after a reliable monitor may I recommend Ag Neovo.

I'm only going on my own experience but I run some of the older glass fronted monitors, I have owned these monitors many years and they have been very reliable.

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry I didn't see the ambiguity when I posted that, but I see it now :) I should have put a line break between the two statements as they weren't directly relate.

Mine wasn't through Acer; it's getting RMA'd via OCUK.

And after jumping through various support hoops, finally got a returns authorisation from Acer. It goes back when I can find a box to put it in (strangely, they have specifically said not to use the original box for some reason).

I will never buy from anywhere other than OCUK now - OCUK would have sorted this for me I am sure.

Soldato
Let putting it out there.

I wouldn't mind OcUK charging a bit more if they can guarantee panel quality.

I don't even mind if they pre-screen all the monitors prior to shipping against a standard protocol. E.g. No dead/stuck pixels &a acceptable IPS glow level etc.

Soldato
Let putting it out there.

I wouldn't mind OcUK charging a bit more if they can guarantee panel quality.

I don't even mind if they pre-screen all the monitors prior to shipping against a standard protocol. E.g. No dead/stuck pixels &a acceptable IPS glow level etc.
Not sure how effective that would be. 3 out of the 4 members of staff I spoke to said that this was a good IPS panel with no more than perfectly normal glow or blb:

https://goo.gl/photos/6Y9uwNZCJA4m4FWy6
https://goo.gl/photos/HtYdVZt3v2yFHvfM6

Given the faff it must be for them to have to arrange RMA and send it back to Acer, I'm not convinced a panel quality check by the reseller would be worth any money.

Soldato

Christ, there's light haemorrhaging from all around the bezel - i'm personally not keen on curved panels (as I use my screens for work - and need to view from more than one angle) but the QC, forum banter, would put me off; certainly the apparent accepted amount of blb. I only buy DELL Ultrasharps purely for this reason - they would take that back, no questions asked, and I wouldn't even be without a monitor.

I'm sure if they made the panels slightly thicker and with greater bezel depth they would probably have less of an issue as they could apply more force and contain the light.

When the first ultra slim TVs came out I sent 3 x 40" inch TV's back due to excessive blb and spotlighting. In the end I resolved the issue myself, with the least affected tv, by tightening and retightening screws inside the TV - totally nuts that I had to resort to this, but it worked.

Doubt this could be done on the ultra, ultra slim models (especially curved models) you have today - which makes me think they've taken an aesthetics step too quickly before they've refined the technology for 'proper' acceptable blb.

I would rather have the odd stuck pixel than the above.

Back
Top Bottom