Golf Thread

Soldato
I wouldn't bother. The SLDR is a decent iron and I doubt will make any real difference. Spend £250 on lessons and it will serve you better.

And after playing a round with them today, I'm buying them...

My driving has never been straighter and my iron shots were almost always perfect too, I never get under the ball the way I did today, the fairway woods on the other hand will take some getting used to (or they'll get sold!).

Soldato
It's frustrating that BBC have taken the PGA championship off Sky this year, only to chuck it on the red button in SD quality because they are showing the athletics, seems a bit pointless.

Soldato
It's frustrating that BBC have taken the PGA championship off Sky this year, only to chuck it on the red button in SD quality because they are showing the athletics, seems a bit pointless.

Yep, I'm aghast at this. The BBC hardly have any decent sport left then, when they do actually get exclusive live coverage of a golf major, they shove it on the Red Button and can't even be bothered to put it in HD.

Utterly pathetic. And they wonder why people are getting increasingly fed up with the licence fee!

Soldato
The farce is that they provide channels like CBeebies HD - like the average toddler gives a toss about HD!

I'm pretty much done with the BBC when it comes to Sport now. I begrudge paying for Sky Sports less than I do the licence fee as I feel I get better value from it. They can lose everything to Sky for all I care - it'll increase the value I get from it and their coverage will be vastly better.

Soldato
Hi Guys,

Just taken up golf because I've been invited to a golf tournament over in Northern Ireland in September, which doesn't give me very long to get a handy cap of 28 to play the course... It's for work!

Can anyone recommend any of the handicap calculator membership websites?

I've been looking at:www.myonlinegolfclub.com and www.elitegolfsolutions.co.uk

We all use Golfshake for handicaps, it's still not official but is a good way of tracking, you also get the opportunity to track other areas of your game and they have an iPhone app which makes it easy to put your scores in after your round.

Soldato
I tried the new Mizuno MP18 SC irons today and absolutely loved them. It's my first time trying non-GI irons and I had my doubts that I'd be able to hit them but I think I hit them better than my current clubs if anything. The much less chunky look of the clubs is really appealing. Shame they're £900, I'm going to look out for second hand 'players' irons.

Soldato
I tried the new Mizuno MP18 SC irons today and absolutely loved them. It's my first time trying non-GI irons and I had my doubts that I'd be able to hit them but I think I hit them better than my current clubs if anything. The much less chunky look of the clubs is really appealing. Shame they're £900, I'm going to look out for second hand 'players' irons.

The Taylormade and Titleist alternatives are even more. Prices this year have really shot up. Usually the top irons are in the 6-700 region. Now they're over a grand!

Soldato
im going to get a custom fitting tomorrow at a local pro nervous as i play off 27 so quite clearly not very consistent. I've posted before and had a lesson or two since and think i'll benefit due to being a tall 5ft 5 and believe my standard clubs are slightly too long. I'm also using some hand me down and think some forgiving irons like the M2's, AP1s etc will benefit me, i'll be trying some tomorrow just hope i can strike the ball relatively well.

Soldato
The Taylormade and Titleist alternatives are even more. Prices this year have really shot up. Usually the top irons are in the 6-700 region. Now they're over a grand!

Yeah it's got a bit ridiculous lately. My current irons were under £500 when I bought them four years ago, it's annoying how much the pricing has gone up since then.

im going to get a custom fitting tomorrow at a local pro nervous as i play off 27 so quite clearly not very consistent. I've posted before and had a lesson or two since and think i'll benefit due to being a tall 5ft 5 and believe my standard clubs are slightly too long. I'm also using some hand me down and think some forgiving irons like the M2's, AP1s etc will benefit me, i'll be trying some tomorrow just hope i can strike the ball relatively well.

A club fitting is well worth it regardless of your handicap. I got fitted when I bought my first proper set of clubs and it's really helped me lower my handicap.

Soldato
Well i went to the range yesterday to practice and was hitting the ball sweet. Went to the club fitting today, hit 4 shots with my irons hit two sweet and 2 not great but okay connections. Tried a number of clubs, M2s, Callaway XR Os, Ping G400, Ping Gmax's and couldnt do anything but top the golf ball. No idea what was going off, im a high handicapper granted but topping isn't something i do. I think i was nervous and felt a little pressure and probably over thought everything frustrated with myself nethertheless. The Pro offered for me to come back next week and didnt charge me which was very nice though so hopefully i get one last crack at the whip and dont mess up.

Associate
Picked up a custom set of Ping G30s from AG for £380 (with a friends discount) and they've helped my game massively coming from Mizuno TP9s. Would recommend a proper fitting to anyone playing old/second hand clubs like I was!

Associate
I'm looking at getting some new Irons, but having difficulty with selecting the right set. I did pop in to American Golf a few months ago, really keen to buy new irons that day, but I was told the cheaper lower end ones are all standard and do not come with fitting. The salesman didn't seem interested in me when I was having second thoughts and basically left me to it, I left not long after.

I've not tried some of the pro-shops at clubs near me, should I try some of these instead?

I'm in Swindon if that helps.

Commissario
I'm looking at getting some new Irons, but having difficulty with selecting the right set. I did pop in to American Golf a few months ago, really keen to buy new irons that day, but I was told the cheaper lower end ones are all standard and do not come with fitting. The salesman didn't seem interested in me when I was having second thoughts and basically left me to it, I left not long after.

I've not tried some of the pro-shops at clubs near me, should I try some of these instead?

I'm in Swindon if that helps.

There's a good sized American Golf in Swindon isn't there? You can book appointments online so would suggest doing that.

Back
Top Bottom