Golf Thread

Soldato
OP
I bought a 5 wood from affordablegolf last week.

The best I can say is that they refunded me immediately when the club was lost in the post. :(

That sucks but at least you got your money back.

I had a few too many drinks last night and spent £435 at affordablegolf!!

My driver is a 15year old R7, I hate it. Treated myelf to a Callaway Rogue 2020! Down to £270 from £450......

Commissario
Played my first round of the year yesterday down in Portsmouth, course was very dry and chipping was very difficult. Went round in 98, should be happy with that considering it's been a while!

Soldato
I played yesterday been playing most of the year. I had a lesson last week and yesterday was like I'd never played golf before genuinely couldn't hit the ball. Couldn't even hit it like I remembered prior to the lesson.. demoralised. Hoping I can fathom it out at the range soon.

Soldato
Well I didn't get sub 100 :p

Ended up 108 but I had a horror first 5 holes (racked up 32 shots!) but after that I went round in good order with a couple of para so ignoring the first 5 I felt pretty good about things.

My swing change has helped my driver, hybrid and my pitch wedge but it has killed my iron play to the extent I used my 7 twice (both bad shots) and my 9 once but otherwise left them in the bag.

Felt the progress though and the swing changes are positive I just need to continue bedding them in as it still isn't coming natural.

Soldato
Well, wedge fitting went well for me but not for the bank balance!....

Ended up with Titleist Vokey SM8 in Jet Black with following:

50/08 F Grind
54/10 S Grind
58/08 M Grind

Got the S/M grind as i like to open the face up on bunker shots, especially with the 58.

Soldato
OP
Vokeys are great wedges!

I played terrible today, just didn't enjoy my round at all.

How the hell can you go from hitting fantastic shops and stringing good scores/rounds together one minute, to completely forgetting how to swing a club and then second guessing your own grip!

God dammit golf

Soldato
I started playing June ish, joined a club with the brother in law and bought some second hand clubs.

Only played 4 rounds so far.
  1. 123
  2. 121
  3. 122
  4. 112
The 12X rounds were awful, so had a bit of a break in betwen those 3 and just started working on my swing. Then went back and was playing much better on my 4th go. The annoying thing is I had 1 terror hole, par 3 ended up getting 12 after I got trapped in a bunker, if that had been a normal 5 I would have gotten sub 110 which was my goal this time round. Hopefully next time though!

Soldato
Vokeys are great wedges!

I played terrible today, just didn't enjoy my round at all.

How the hell can you go from hitting fantastic shops and stringing good scores/rounds together one minute, to completely forgetting how to swing a club and then second guessing your own grip!

God dammit golf

I've got past the stage of doubting my grip for me it's it's huge doubt about my backswing and as soon as I have a bad shot I tear myself apart like a shark on bloody meat and make a mess of my round :p

Soldato
Interest golf today....

4.30pm tee off - scorching sunshine.

Lost ball off the 1st, 2nd ball in play but then a shocking lie in a bunker - walked off with a 9. (par 5)

Then went 5,3,5,4,3,4.....Great Birdie at 6th (3) on SI 1. Then stood on 8th tee, smashed a great drive, then sky's opened, thunder and lighting and we decided to call it a day as it was wild.

Gutted..... not hitting it great but playing well. only 5 over through 7 with a quad at the first!!

Away next week on holiday so be a few weeks to my next game.

Soldato
OP
Just had my worst round for months, for absolutely no reason I couldn't sort my alignment.

If I'm teeing off down a straight fairway I'm fine, but if the teebox isn't parallel to the fairway (such as the fairway starts to bend/dog leg so I need to aim 'off') my brain has an absolute meltdown. Even picking a target a couple feet Infront of my ball didn't seem to help.

......stormed off on the 10th :rolleyes:

Commissario
Just had my worst round for months, for absolutely no reason I couldn't sort my alignment.

If I'm teeing off down a straight fairway I'm fine, but if the teebox isn't parallel to the fairway (such as the fairway starts to bend/dog leg so I need to aim 'off') my brain has an absolute meltdown. Even picking a target a couple feet Infront of my ball didn't seem to help.

......stormed off on the 10th :rolleyes:
Sounds like a mental game there, I drop down to a 4/5 iron in those situations and play it safe.

Soldato
Played today for the first time this year. Thoroughly enjoyed myself, even if I did get absolutely drenched!

Shot a 92 which was distinctly average but there were some decent shots in there. Started off 9, 7, 7 but gradually found my game around the 8th. Isn't it funny how you remember that one good shot which makes the round worthwhile?

Soldato
Woooohoooo I did it, I broke 100!!!!! :D

Played today and shot a 98 (was twitchy as hell on the last as I was on 92 playing a par 5 si 4 so plenty of room to screw up! :p) and was immensely pleased with it.

I didn't have many amazing holes, only one par, but I almost, barring one lost ball on a horribly sliced tee shot, removed the errors from my game. Removed the idiotic shots and slices and was shooting bogies really consistently with no silly stuff jacking my score up. If it wasn't for 3/4 little errors could have been even better.

So happy now :p to reward myself playing again j tomorrow and hopefully I can keep up today's consistency and keep the silly stuff out of my game.

Soldato
Got my irons going again but for some reason my wedges are just shanks. Never had a lesson with my wedges and I was pretty good with them prior. It's like I've forgotton how to chip the ball.

Soldato
I've been umming and ahing for a while now about whether to buy a set of clubs and still very much want to. I live near a few good courses and it'd be a good thing to get out and about and get friends into as well. What are the best sites to look at for irons, driver, putters etc? I've had a look on Golfbidder and the Ping G-Series irons look interesting so far.. I assume I shouldn't look at a full set?

Back
Top Bottom