Golf Thread

Soldato
Out again yesterda - Played fairly well for 2nd round in 5 years!

nice birdie at the 3rd, parred 4/5/8/10/11/13/16/18. Lost 3 balls in total but the bug is back for sure.

Shoe bag ordered, balls, new towel.....Seriously wanting the new Shotscope v3!

Soldato
Out again yesterda - Played fairly well for 2nd round in 5 years!

nice birdie at the 3rd, parred 4/5/8/10/11/13/16/18. Lost 3 balls in total but the bug is back for sure.

Shoe bag ordered, balls, new towel.....Seriously wanting the new Shotscope v3!

Nice, that's good going for your second round in two years. What was your handicap before you stopped playing?

Soldato
2nd round in 5 years! Kids came along and I stopped playing all together.

Played off 8.4 I think when I stopped playing.

Whoops, I meant five years, don't know why I typed two! You were a solid handicap before stopping, obviously a decent player. Have you had any lessons since returning to golf or just jumped back into playing?

Soldato
Whoops, I meant five years, don't know why I typed two! You were a solid handicap before stopping, obviously a decent player. Have you had any lessons since returning to golf or just jumped back into playing?

nah - just jumped back in playing. Mainly to just get out the house and chat to other adults!!! (I work from home and having had my kids rampaging around the house for 4 months has taken it's toll!!:D:D )

Enjoying being back at it - will probably just play a few round the rest of the year and then I will hopefully get back at it properly next year. Will do a few lessons for sure at some point.

Clubs probably need an update at some point as well.

D - TaylorMade Burner SuperFast 2.0 (circa 2012/3)
Rescues - couple of old Taylor mades
Irons 4- PW Ping G10's
Ping and titleist Wedges
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport2 Putter (no chance this is getting changed)

Love my putter - played for 20 years and only ever had 2 putters. I like the idea of trying a fat grip for it.

Associate
I've played a couple of times since lockdown was eased - never played to a handicap but have played on and off since I was a little'un; I'm slicing/ pushing absolutely everything at the moment, it's really frustrating - I desperately need to get myself some lessons but no idea if/ when that will be possible before the season is done.

It doesn't stop me looking at clubs/ equipment all day though! This sport can be an absolute money pit...

Soldato
I've played a couple of times since lockdown was eased - never played to a handicap but have played on and off since I was a little'un; I'm slicing/ pushing absolutely everything at the moment, it's really frustrating - I desperately need to get myself some lessons but no idea if/ when that will be possible before the season is done.

It doesn't stop me looking at clubs/ equipment all day though! This sport can be an absolute money pit...

agreed - 2 new pairs of trousers and golf top bought the other day. All the golf gear I have from 5/6 years ago is massive on me as I've lost about 4 stone since then!

Permabanned
Played the Twenty Ten at Celtic Manor yesterday (at long last!)

Holy moley does that course PUNISH you. The front nine was great but the wind really picked up on the back nine, making things much trickier. I also was that guy that pitched onto the front of the 18th green, only to watch in horror as the ball rolled back off the front of the green and down into the pond. Got some stick from a couple of guys on the clubhouse balcony for that. :o

Soldato
Really need to get some wedges bought. My PW is 47 degrees, next wedge in the bag is 56 degrees. Far too much of a gap! haha. PW is 120-125yds and 56 degree is 70-75yds. Thinking about moving towards 50-54-58 wedge setup.

Whats peoples preferences for wedges nowadays? I used to use Ping, my 56 is a blue Mizuno TP wedge. Is it just best to go Vokey?....

Permabanned
Really need to get some wedges bought. My PW is 47 degrees, next wedge in the bag is 56 degrees. Far too much of a gap! haha. PW is 120-125yds and 56 degree is 70-75yds. Thinking about moving towards 50-54-58 wedge setup.

Whats peoples preferences for wedges nowadays? I used to use Ping, my 56 is a blue Mizuno TP wedge. Is it just best to go Vokey?....

If possible get a fitting to make sure that your bounce angle is right for you. Personally I love my Taylormade Hi-Toe 64 degree wedge, just slices through thick rough and dead easy to pop up a lob shot around the green.

Soldato
I've decided to try and commit a bit more this year since lockdown cancelled my excessive work travel and my other sports seasons have been cancelled.

I was shooting in the high 110s a lot as I never really played that often, never practiced and kind of just went along for a drink and a chat.

Had two lessons and this year I've went 112, 107, 103, 107, 106, 107 and 106. Still not great but a lot of progress and my consistency has improved a lot. My problem is still my consistency though, an example being on Friday I dropped 7 shots on 3 stupid holes and 2 more on a hole where I was within 100 yards after my tee shot on a par 4 and finished with a 6 :(

Consistency is an issue for me, my other two problems are putting, I think I've only one put twice this year it's normally 2 but a lot of 3's and my other issue I can't hit my driver at all so I've left it in the car (I was 3 off the tee all the time as I almost inevitably lost a ball) but now I can go straighter with a hybrid or a 4 I have the handicap that I don't have the distance so I almost need to play every hole perfect to make up from being short of the tee.

Going to hit the driving range tomorrow, get 200 balls and just smash the hell out of the driver to try and find some consistency hitting it straight as an extra 70+ yards off the tee box would be a massive help.

Holiday in a week's time so hoping to play about 7 rounds in next 3 weeks which is a lot for me.

Soldato
OP
Going to hit the driving range tomorrow, get 200 balls and just smash the hell out of the driver to try and find some consistency hitting it straight as an extra 70+ yards off the tee box would be a massive help.

That can be detrimental, hitting so many balls means you’re hitting them to just get rid rather than actually practising! Better to hit 60balls slow and controlled with practise swings.

Also, I’ve been playing on and off for years now and I still don’t use my Driver. I can hit a 5iron 200yds onto a fairway, or hit a driver 240yds into the rough! Don’t worry about using the big boom stick leave it at home and just practice with it at the range until you’re comfortable.

————

What website do you guys use for buying stuff? I need a new trolly, some accessories and I want to have a look around at a new gap wedge - American Golf seems a bit crap, what else is their?

Soldato
Golfbidder is decent if you want used or new at a reasonable price. Local shops and even ebay/amazon use been used for shoes etc in the past.

Soldato
That can be detrimental, hitting so many balls means you’re hitting them to just get rid rather than actually practising! Better to hit 60balls slow and controlled with practise swings.

Also, I’ve been playing on and off for years now and I still don’t use my Driver. I can hit a 5iron 200yds onto a fairway, or hit a driver 240yds into the rough! Don’t worry about using the big boom stick leave it at home and just practice with it at the range until you’re comfortable.

————

What website do you guys use for buying stuff? I need a new trolly, some accessories and I want to have a look around at a new gap wedge - American Golf seems a bit crap, what else is their?

Well today went swimmingly, I was, as always recently, slicing horribly to the right with the driver and getting more and more frustrated. Pro was passing by and heard my tirade after another slice and offered some free advice. I was basically doing a "normal" iron swing for my driver and he told my to instead on my back swing take it farther right in a lower trajectory.

Boom, like that, fixed. Still hit a few duffers getting used to it and still a slight left to right but that one tip added about 50 yards to my drive and it was going straight or only a slightly left to right. Unreal difference.

Was that happy started practicing although on a hole, so going driver, 4/hybrid, 8 them either a dink or 40 yard chip with my pitch and was remarkably consistent with all club's (again with the occasional silly shot as it wouldn't be me without it)

Really happy so going to try and get along tomorrow and Tuesday for a short session as I have a round Wednesday.

Fingers crossed!

Soldato
Well today went swimmingly, I was, as always recently, slicing horribly to the right with the driver and getting more and more frustrated. Pro was passing by and heard my tirade after another slice and offered some free advice. I was basically doing a "normal" iron swing for my driver and he told my to instead on my back swing take it farther right in a lower trajectory.

Boom, like that, fixed. Still hit a few duffers getting used to it and still a slight left to right but that one tip added about 50 yards to my drive and it was going straight or only a slightly left to right. Unreal difference.

Was that happy started practicing although on a hole, so going driver, 4/hybrid, 8 them either a dink or 40 yard chip with my pitch and was remarkably consistent with all club's (again with the occasional silly shot as it wouldn't be me without it)

Really happy so going to try and get along tomorrow and Tuesday for a short session as I have a round Wednesday.

Fingers crossed!
Always nice to fix something, the slice is one of the easiest to rectify too so you'll get used to it in no time.
Your left foot position has a lot of the say in whether you slice or not too. Too far back and you'll spin it near 90 degrees from starting line but push that foot forward and your body gets in the way and straightens things quite a lot, too far forward and you'll start drawing/hooking it too.

Soldato
Always nice to fix something, the slice is one of the easiest to rectify too so you'll get used to it in no time.
Your left foot position has a lot of the say in whether you slice or not too. Too far back and you'll spin it near 90 degrees from starting line but push that foot forward and your body gets in the way and straightens things quite a lot, too far forward and you'll start drawing/hooking it too.

It was such a good feeling, put me in an absurdly good mood :p

Back
Top Bottom