Golf Thread

Underboss
Curious timing that I see this thread again.

Went to golfbidder today as its just down the road and traded up my old set for a shiny(er) set.

Very happy, hit the range on the way home and they are very nice.

Soldato
Curious timing that I see this thread again.

Went to golfbidder today as its just down the road and traded up my old set for a shiny(er) set.

Very happy, hit the range on the way home and they are very nice.

Nice, what did you get? I look everyday on golfbidder hovering over th buy button, but decided to get some advise from a pro at a local course, not a fitting per se, but I have been borrowing my sisters fiance's pitching wedge the last few days, but have no idea if I need a lighter club etc. I don't even have a golf glove, been using one of my mountain biking gloves :D

Underboss
Got a full bag as I was long overdue new sticks.

Taylormade M5 driver, Cobra 4 wood, Ping iBlade Xstiff irons, Titleist Vokey 52, 58 wedges and a Scotty Cameron Newport putter.

Should mention that they are paying really well buying club at the moment so the cost was heavily offset.

Soldato
Nice, what did you get? I look everyday on golfbidder hovering over th buy button, but decided to get some advise from a pro at a local course, not a fitting per se, but I have been borrowing my sisters fiance's pitching wedge the last few days, but have no idea if I need a lighter club etc. I don't even have a golf glove, been using one of my mountain biking gloves :D
sometimes i wear a glove all round sometimes i never put one on.
I lost my pitching wedge,must have left it on one of the holes. never really use it anyways

Soldato
Ours is brilliant, the ground staff were kept working maybe at reduced but they were out so course is great. Seen the tournament results for saturday and the guys who went under got beat by ...
Some got 82 who had a 24 handicap lol
Sickening

Haha. My mate was playing in the Centenary year medal, biggest board comp of the year plus it being our centenary year. He's steady away and we'd been there for 2 years as members. He was off 21 but had been steadily improving in knock games, just couldnt ever pull a round together for medal. He hit 79 nett 58 to win by 6 clear shots. People were wanting to lynch him in the bar afterwards, he even played with a totally strange group as i couldnt make it that day to play with the usual group we went out with.

Soldato
went out yesterday, was such a **** round of golf. we had 3 clear holes in front of us (2 ball) and by the 5th we caught up 2 four balls who were all silly slow. Like we watched them drive and they took about 2-3 minutes each to drive. Then one of them was in the rough, the others went to where their ball had gone and stood there waiting. When the guy eventually found his ball (wayyyy longer than i would have taken) and took his shot the next one only then started his practise swing and aiming. On my course i can get around in a 2 ball in about 3 hours, by myself 2 n half hours and ive been out in 4's in about 3 n a bit hours. We played 8 holes in 2 n half hours. was shocking so we went back around and did the front 9 again. god knows why they were so slow, but it reet ****** me off.
I'm off out tomorrow at 6am tee off although i'll probs tee of a little earlier as there's no one before me and smash in a quick round.

I'm debating having a full day golf lesson with Mike Newton Golf in Penrith, has anyone tried a full day lesson anywhere? Description for this one is:
Full swing (driver & iron’s) using TrackMan technology

Master Your Putting

Outdoor short game lesson on grass

9 hole playing lesson on the course

Detailed day of learning with Michael Newton identifying faults and providing drills to take away to practice on. Includes full use of the latest video analysis & TrackMan launch monitor technology plus Michael’s 23+ years experience as a coach to help you understand your golf swing.

Every pupil will receive a personal lesson recap video which is emailed out at the end of the lesson showing & explaining what we’ve worked on during the session. A great way to refresh your memory weeks or months down the line or when your stood on the practice range.

Underboss
Local course has a £400 unlimited golf for a year offer on as I am under 34. Been a member there before and it's a nice course, think it's worth it just trying to put it past the wife!

Soldato
Haha. My mate was playing in the Centenary year medal, biggest board comp of the year plus it being our centenary year. He's steady away and we'd been there for 2 years as members. He was off 21 but had been steadily improving in knock games, just couldnt ever pull a round together for medal. He hit 79 nett 58 to win by 6 clear shots. People were wanting to lynch him in the bar afterwards, he even played with a totally strange group as i couldnt make it that day to play with the usual group we went out with.
the lad played in a comp on saturday.... hes now gone from 24 to 8 in two comps!

Soldato
Hey guys,

im looking to buy some new clubs well, new to me :)

The ones im looking at have surface rust on the backs of the irons, is that possible to clean up and remove, they seem like a great deal otherwise..

cheers.

Soldato
Hey guys,

im looking to buy some new clubs well, new to me :)

The ones im looking at have surface rust on the backs of the irons, is that possible to clean up and remove, they seem like a great deal otherwise..

cheers.
Once they start to rust and pit, I'd look elsewhere. They could have been left wet and that would mean the insides of the shafts could be starting to rust too.
Golfbidder is a great place to look, I've bought a few new drivers and iron sets from them and their photos/descriptions are very good.

Soldato
I went to a driving range today to hit some balls. This might not be an unusual thing for a golf thread, but it was the first time I've hit a ball in over a decade I reckon!

I used to be fairly decent, playing off 15 and able to shoot a round in single figures over par at my best.

I wasn't sure what to expect but found it came back to me straight away! I only took a 5 & 7 iron and hit 60 balls in total with a number of chips at a bathtup(!) that had been propped up against the 50 yard marker. I hit a number of pretty solid shots out of the middle of the club face and managed to land one ball right in the tub :) My girlfriend was with me and filmed some shots - I'll look to upload those if there's any interest in seeing some rusty swings!?

Last edited:
Permabanned
I went to a driving range today to hit some balls. This might not be an unusual thing for a golf thread, but it was the first time I've hit a ball in over a decade I reckon!

I used to be fairly decent, playing off 15 and able to shoot a round in single figures over par at my best.

I wasn't sure what to expect but found it came back to me straight away! I only took a 5 & 7 iron and hit 60 balls in total with a number of chips at a bathtup(!) that had been propped up against the 50 yard marker. I hit a number of pretty solid shots out of the middle of the club face and managed to land one ball right in the tub :) My girlfriend was with me and filmed some shots - I'll look to upload those if there's any interest in seeing some rusty swings!?

It's like riding a bike buddy, upload the swings! :)

Permabanned
Yep, already thinking about when I can get down the range again! Would also like to break out my driver once I feel a bit more comfortable - my backswing felt a bit fast and uncontrolled.

From a little bit earlier this year, but I had just treated myself to a new driver:

Going to a stiffer flex made my drives far more consistent. Regular flex felt like a fly fishing rod by comparison!

Associate
Just rejoined my old club at Aberfoyle. Not played for the last 5-6 years as didn't have the time and just realised I must have thrown out my various golf shoes when we moved to new house. Can anyone recommend a decent pair of shoes, ideally the need to be waterproof as often play in morning dew nevermind the Scottish weather.

Back
Top Bottom