Golf Thread

Permabanned
I've been umming and ahing for a while now about whether to buy a set of clubs and still very much want to. I live near a few good courses and it'd be a good thing to get out and about and get friends into as well. What are the best sites to look at for irons, driver, putters etc? I've had a look on Golfbidder and the Ping G-Series irons look interesting so far.. I assume I shouldn't look at a full set?

It's tough to say as everybody is different, but in my opinion I would go down the full set route. If you start mixing and matching iron or wood sets you're going to make a difficult game much harder for yourself. That doesn't mean go for the same brand throughout your bag, it's fine to use Ping irons, Taylormade woods, Cleveland wedges, etc, but keep each club type as similar as possible so that you can develop a consistent play style rather than adding the mental burden of having to remember to hit different clubs in different ways to get the desired results.

Golfbidder is very good and there are a number of highly reputable second hand dealers on eBay too. :)

Soldato
Got my irons going again but for some reason my wedges are just shanks. Never had a lesson with my wedges and I was pretty good with them prior. It's like I've forgotton how to chip the ball.

I was having this and a mate who is a world better than me pointed out I had started breaking my wrists when I was swinging through which was causing that. Straightened wrists in the swing and it disappeared straight away.

I followed my 98 with 100 yesterday, annoyed but it is still just consistency for me. I dropped 7/8 shots off bad tee shots which was hugely frustrating but on the plus side I know it's just a consistency thing and more play should help eliminate it. Duffed my tee shot on a 170 par 3 only 15 yards and then chipped to within an inch of the hole, though I had birdied :p

Playing Slaley Hall today for free and it's glorious weather, really looking forward to that.

Soldato
I've not played in a month or so due to lack of time and played today at furness golf course for the first time. Its a links course so not quite the quality of fairways and greens as where I normally play at Ulverston but all the same the course was good, happy I got invited by a member so the fees were less and he could advise where some of the flags were as it wasn't always obvious. I didn't really score as I knew I was over my handicap and new my friend was quite far ahead. I seemed to struggle on par 3s just duffing my shot and then playing fairly decent 2nd one. My short game around the green was awful just couldn't get the little chips working so spent a bit walking from one end of the green to another. I also struggled to get the ball high in the air with my irons which is an age old problem with me which I believe comes down to grip and club face being shut a bit. I tried my driver for a change but its just to whippy so just used my 5 wood most of the way around. I could outdrive my friend with the 5 wood so distance was good but I did catch a couple a bit under the ball and lost a lot of distance. I'm not disheartened by the rather **** standard of golf from me as it was still a nice game and I'll put the poor performance down to not playing for sometime

Soldato
I've been umming and ahing for a while now about whether to buy a set of clubs and still very much want to. I live near a few good courses and it'd be a good thing to get out and about and get friends into as well. What are the best sites to look at for irons, driver, putters etc? I've had a look on Golfbidder and the Ping G-Series irons look interesting so far.. I assume I shouldn't look at a full set?

I was the same start of June, bought a second hand set of Cleveland HB launchers irons with graphite shaft R flex, 4-SW but missing the gap wedge. They are very forgiving for a newbie like me compared to my brother in laws Titleist AP2s. Also bought a second hand Cleveland Launcher HB 3 wood and an Odyssey White Hot putter from Golfbidder and golfonline.

I think it might be best to get a full set, they are more common than trying to pickup individual clubs, and I definitely find it easier learning the clubs when they all have the same flex and weights (basically speaking).

It’s just a case of getting out there and practisin/playing. First three rounds I played from new I hit 122, 121, 123 and got a bit frustrated with it, so I took a break for two weeks from playing on the course and practiced a bit more at the range. Came back, fourth round hit 114 and then my fifth round 101.

Associate

Costco do a decent "starter" set from Callaway. I think they can be picked up online as well, otherwise Golfbidder is a decent shout. It's worth popping into the local course pro-shop and having a chat with them as well, they should be able to offer some good advice, just don't get talked into buying all the shiny stuff in there! :p In any case, what's important is to get some lessons, get some good practice in and get playing more.

Down the line, if you're enjoying it and getting serious, then you can consider a full bag club fit and some shiny kit that really suits your swing.

Soldato
Decided to buy a few bits from Golfbidder to get me going, can always change / upgrade down the line as needed.

Went for;
Cobra King Forged One Length 5-PW (OL seemed v interesting to get me into a swing/consistency, will see how it goes) - don't mind the yards I may lose
Nike Vapor Speed Driver (Was on a good sale and seemed forgiving) - really liked the look of the Cleveland HB Turbo or w/e it was called but this was 150 less

Just need to get out on the range/course and then decide on wedges/hybrid/fairway wood etc as necessary.

Should be arriving tomorrow, quite excited :) didn't break the bank too much and can always change things depending how it feels once I get into it a bit more.

Bag wise I just went with an 'Ouul' bag, seemed OK for the price and practical for me, again something I can always change down the line.

What sort of wedges are 'necessary' would you say?

Associate
As you've got a PW, I'd suggest the following in order:

1) a sand wedge, normally 54 degrees
2) a lob wedge, normally 58/60 degrees
3) a gap wedge, normally 50/52 degrees

Wedges are quite personal, can be customised quite a lot with grind/bounce (most of which I still do not get) so I'd have a read on that before you order one from Golfbidder.

My SW must be at least 20 years old, it's absolutely fine in reality. However, I just bought a vokey 58 lob and it is just gorgeous - so now I need to upgrade my SW

Underboss
Depends on your PW loft really, my gapping is:

PW: 46
AW: 50
SW: 54
LW: 58

The bouces work for me, the 50 has the same shaft as my 4-PW as it's a triple figure yardage club so wanted the same level of control.

If your starting out get a SW and see how you get on, no point buying everything straight away, you'll soon notice the yardages your missing something.

Soldato
Shot Scope worked perfect- very simple to use, very impressive bit of kit. Real simple to use but impressive data/stats from it after the round

283 yard drive was the best of the day. Putted fairly well (28 putts). Few lost balls as well.

The only thing I can see will throw my numbers out a bit is that I play a lot of bump and runs with 7/8 iron round the greens (links type courses) - so my "average" looks very low for my 7 iron.

Soldato
i'm heading up for an hour lesson then an hour fitting with Michael Newton up in Penrith. Doubt i'll buy but gives me an idea of gains or maybe lack off. I tend not to use my driver at the moment (Cobra Baffler XL) as i don't like the offset and i only get about 240 yards out of it compared to my 5 wood is normally around 220 and fairly accurate. my driver just buggers off to the left 8/10. Would like to try some smaller irons too, i find the Titliest AP1s a bit strong lofted and pretty chunky. Despite being a high handicapper i can normally hit irons pretty good so wouldn't mind trying something a little smaller to hit.

Soldato
100 yards and in is where 90% of my practice goes.

I spend as much time putting as I do on the range.

If i'm just grinding at the range that's my usual. 10 or so 8 irons to loosen up, 5-10 driver/3 wood, then work my way up the bag with 2-3 of each club from 3 iron, then drills from 100yds in. My range has loads of targets all mapped out from each bay, so you know the distances. So alongside full wedge shots i usually try things like 4i low punch to 100yds, 8i pitch to 90yds, open face 58 wedge high flight to 20yds etc etc.

One thing i do like to do at the range to mix it up a bit is take a scorecard from a bad round and work my way through the holes pretending i am playing them.

Associate
Looking for some advice for a total noob looking to get into the game.

Been watching some youtube videos and reading through this thread. Im really just looking to get to a level that I can carry myself around a moderate course while not making a fool of myself and feeling out of place.

What would be the best way to start on day 1? Lessons right off the bat or going to the range and hitting some balls?

I am in south-west scotland (Dumfriesshire)
local to me there is a couple options, 1 club has 2 coaches, a class A PGA professional and a PGA assistant (I have no idea what these mean) which the lessons are indoor with trackman
The other is at a driving range which also has trackman stuff but no information on qualifications etc.

what would be the best bet day 1?

Associate
A couple of range sessions on your own won't do you any harm just to see if you enjoy it enough to want to get better, but if you know you want to get into it then I'd recommend lessons from the start. Any PGA pro worth their salt will love being able to teach a complete novice that hasn't built up any bad habits!

Soldato
When i started 12 years ago, i didnt bother playing on a course but i did set a date for my first round with a mate who already played and was coming down for the weekend a couple pf months after my first lesson. I went up to the range and bought a series of 8 x 30 minute lessons, had 1 a week and practised a lot at the range for a couple of months. Scored 117 on my first outing, best to date is a 78.

PGA assistant is someone learning and training to be a class A. Class A is probably what you will find most PGA Teaching Pro's are. Class A can then progress to AA (I have mates who are both). Then there's a few different levels above that. I'd suggest a class A but look for recommendations from people, see if you can find reviews etc. then go try them, they will sometimes do deals for introductory lessons. They may also be able to help out with loaning you a few clubs to practice with. The Pro i learnt from lent me a full set of clubs (Hippo, nothing fancy but good enough to learn with) for the first few months which was good!

Associate
Set coming together nicely!

zXRC5xF.jpg
Really nice looking set, think I remember seeing this on the golf reddit if I remember rightly?

I haven't really kept up to date with the latest rules surrounding golf but are 1-1 lessons currently allowed? I'm desperate to get in with someone to start working on my banana slice with the driver...

Back
Top Bottom